You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > screw in my tyre

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

proskaterdp

Aug 12

proskaterdp says:

screw in my tyre

hi this is a message for the tyre doctor. As we had some nice weather this weeknd I wanted to take my bike out for a ride.as I was wheeling it out my garage I noted something in my tyre.to my horror I noted that a 40mm screw had completly embeded itself in my rear tyre.to say I was gutted was an understatement.not only could I not go touring today but id now might have to buy a new tyre.the screw was at the very edge of the tyre and did not puncture it.i think it had traveled all the way down the inside of the tyrewall.my question is, as this did not burst the tire is it still not safe to ride on it?my friends have mixed views.some say to risk it.some say no way!!I don't really want to buy a new tyre.i have a Honda bros 650 which has a bit of an awkward size.my last tyre cost me £130 by the time it was fitted.is it ok to ride on this tyre or should i bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 May 2013 09:27)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

In my opinion

I'd say replace it. Any (possible) damage to tyres is bad news in my book!

Is it really worth the risk, riding on a tyre that may have possible damage to it? Even if it's not been punctured and still *looks* intact, there would still be a weakening in the tyre wall. If you hit a stone or pothole or even if you leant over a bit too far it may rupture, which would explode & take you out with it. Is that worth the risk?

Personally I'd say bite the bullet and buy a new one - better safe than sorry!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

non puncture

Stick a tube in it.

Reply to this Topic
proskaterdp

Aug 12

proskaterdp says:

bit the bullet - massive dental bill

cheers for the advice guys. i bit the bullet and have just ordered a new Bridgestone Battlax T30. its suppost to be the ducks nuts so ill see how it goes. :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices