Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Mike12421

May 13

Mike12421 says:

Brightest lights

Hi everyone, 

I've been looking around for the best way to replace the two bulbs on my 2008 Triumph Speed Triple 1050. I want to keep the original housing as I think it looks better than the new "bug eyed" design. I just want the brightest possible light, ideal for night time riding. 

Does anyone have any suggestions at all? 

Thanks. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 329 days ago (27 May 2013 12:50)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

bright bulbs

Stick some 100w80w bulbs in.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

or

if you want to stay road legal then philip's xtreme power bulbs are what you are looking for.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

An E mark

means no doubt about the legality.  So called +50, +80 etc just run hotter and output a slightly more focussed hot spot from a smaller burner (coil) running in higher gas pressure.  Max benefit is about 15% in total output, but it looks a bit more.

My favourite legal bulb is Philips VisionPlus, a quality "plus 50" design.  Hotter E marked bulbs have more light but also a MUCH shorter life expectancy, some will need changing as often as a rear tyre!  Cobalt II get good reports on AutoExpress bulb tests and are cheap, but they waste some lumens in their blue coating and I don't think the quality is as consistent. 

Away from E marking you can get 80/100 as eatscs says, which is a lot more lumens, and a normal life expectancy.  However, it increases power in the wiring loom and connectors by more than 2.5x (P=I².R), which could cause trouble on some bikes.  It also may be illegal in a good few EU countries, perhaps even here?

Reply to this Topic
Mike12421

May 13

Mike12421 says:

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. From your suggestions I think I'll go with these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00440CWCG

Are these the right ones? 

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

I thought

the bike had H4, not H7 - check them first..

X-treme ("+100") are probably going to last about 150 hours, but give a great light, so if it's long enough, go for it.

VisionPlus ("+50") give about half as much extra shine but last three times as long and usually cost less.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

100w80w

100w 80w bulbs are illegal in the UK*. You can only run 55w on dipped beam.

Those supposedly brighter bulbs are no better than standard IMO.

*So are small plates, loud cans and speeding :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Ive

Used the Philips +100% ones on all my bikes and I've never had one go pop. Current one has been in around 2 years riding every day. 

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Do you

timeshare between a load of bikes, ride only a few minutes a day, or what?

Actually, a lot of bikes use thin (aka hopelessly inadequate) wiring to headlight bulbs, so some may be running at less than the nominal voltage.
The bulbs are rated at 12.8V.  A battery on charge is around 14V, but some voltage is inevitably lost in the thin wiring.

A little less volts means a lot less lumens and a whole lot more lifetime, so maybe drops in the wiring explain your long lifetimes?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Brighter lights

Why not put an HID kit in?

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

HID

is kinder to the loom, more eye-catching too.  Not sure why I haven't got around to it.  I think what's stopping me is that I do ride in the countryside at night, not sure I want a main beam that either comes on really slow (HID), or looks like a candle alongside the always on HID dipped beam.

Big gains, like 2-3x more real lumens for about 70% of the power, but some issues about beam focus and especially tricky if the H4 was using both filaments...

Of course there are dual beam projectors - one capsule and a moving reflector/shutter - I saw a project where someone grafted one into a spare gixxer thou headlight, but that was some project...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle