Skip to content

General Legal to remove headlight? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Legal to remove headlight?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

Legal to remove headlight?

I know about daytime MOTs but my bike has a normal one and I'm wondering if I can take the headlight off (for maintenance/repair) and still ride it legally in daylight, good visibility obviously. I suspect not TBH but any MOT testers on here?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 May 2013 19:40)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Daylight MOT?

I foolishly left my R1's MOT until the day before a weekend trip and it failed the headlamp alignment. It wasn't a quick fix because the adjuster ball-joint had popped off. Anyhow, I asked about a daylight MOT and was told it doesn't exist, as such. It's just that if you have lights they must work, and if you have light switches they must work too. To get an MOT I would have had to remove the headlight and the light switch. That's what I was told anyway.

Reply to this Topic
hawk750

Apr 09

hawk750 says:

Yep

Like he says!

If it's fitted it has to work.

Even with a daytime MOT you still need any type of rear brake light, to work off the rear brake.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Mr BB has a daytime MOT

on Satturday and he doesn't need the brake light as it's not on there , just a reflector .  I think MOT testers are all different.  He is an MOT tester himself so best to ask at your local station

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

daytime mot is a full mot with no lights were fitted advisorys

its all lights or no lights.

if you have a stop light fitted it will fail a "day time mot "

my trail bike just needed road tires, horn,full size number plate, and red back reflecter. to pass.

you get a full mot with advisorys saying no lights were fitted at time of test on the paper work.

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

Silly rule

regarding reflector, which will effectively only work at night, when you would need ......... er.............lights.

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

reflector

yes, that one always got me with my moutain bike about the stanard reflector being mandatory. so basically, i had to remove mine to fit my light to the bike, but by removing the little pointless reflector square im pretty sure that makes it technically not legal to ride at night.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Red reflectors and MOT.

According to http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_150.htm

"Rear reflectors are not required to be fitted to vehicles used only during the hours of daylight, which are fitted with neither front nor rear position lamps."

Strange because I thought their only function was to highlight a vehicle parked on the street at night.

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

LED headlight

thats a very good point. i didnt think of parked vehicles. 

what i find confusing is that with recent advances in led headlight tech, theyre now getting so good they could easily replace a vehicle headlight, yet everytime i go looking for an led headlight replacement therec's none to be found.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices