Skip to content

General Beginner seeking advice. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Beginner seeking advice.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JordanJMitchell

May 13

Beginner seeking advice.

Good Afternoon,

Firstly I hope this is the correct place to be posting this.

Secondly I should add I know nothing about bikes so you will have to forgive any ignorance on my part.

Basically I am looking to purchase my first bike once I have passed my cbt and all that wonderful stuff (very excited). However as I have stated above I know nothing about bikes so I don't really know what I am looking for. Three bikes have been recommend to me by friends that own bikes these are :

• Yamaha CBR 125
  • Yamaha YZF 125
  • Honda CBR 125

Now I don't know whether these are any good so thats where I need the assist. I do know what I want from the bike however, I want something reasonably reliable, something that can handle a few scrapes as no doubt I'll drop it a few times and something that can handle the abuse of a novice. Also Im no boy racer but I would like to enjoy myself and have a bit of fun with the bike. (safe fun of course)

If its of any help im 6ft 4 so I preumse i'll want something bigger as I dont want my feet dragging along the floor and I live near Chichester, so not very built up lots of country lanes ect. Will be used to get to work and at weekends.

Try not to baffle me too much, play it safe and treat me like an idiot.

Thanks in advance

Jordan

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 May 2013 12:37)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

Jordan

Hi and welcome....

You might do well to look here, -  just fill the details in the boxes and read owner's (and MCN's) reviews of the various bikes including full specs. :winkie:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Welcome to the world of bikes

Going on your height and the fact that you will be using country lanes I would suggest a Honda Varadero 125.The bikes you have listed are all "sports" style with expensive to replace bodywork should you drop the bike. The engines all make similar power, it's just the style that differs:winkie: you could also consider a KTM Duke 125 :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
mk1rob

Aug 11

mk1rob says:

Hi

and welcome to the world of bikes. You'll have a lot of fun! I would say all those bikes are reliable as they're japanese. For your height i would recommend the YZF-R125 but i believe that is also the most expensive. 

I guess the first one you mean yamaha YBR125? If your planning on doing your full test in the near future after the CBT this might be the best option as you'll be able to sell it on easily. Also would probably be cheaper to repair if you do have a spill. The others with all the fairings might be expensive?

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I would agree.

The Varadero is a great bike for taller people and they hold their price well. The obvious disadvantage is that good second hand ones can be expensive.

All your choices should be reliable. Have fun, whichever you go for.

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Jordan

At 6' 4", I would also say the Varadero. I think you would have to be double jointed to fit on some of the 125 sports bikes.

Unless the council's have buggered about with it, I would also recommend the A272, across to Winchester way as a fine road. I have a brother in Worthing (where the old farts go to die, then forget what they went there for) and when I do go that way I use the 272 (although it's been a couple of years).

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Varadero

For your height I would agree with that. KTM Duke 125 if you want something a little bit more exciting to look at. 125's with sports fairing are just for pose-potential. There really isn't much difference in performance with any learner bike as they should all be restricted (don't derestrict them because you'll invalidate your insurance).

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

+1 on Varadero

Otherwise you'll look silly at 6'4"...

Why not go to a dealer and sit on a couple of others, sure you'll see why the Varadero makes sense...

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Agree with shuggie

sit on a few of the possible choices and  see how you feel.  I think maybe your choices for your height maybe a bit restrictive, but you wont know until you try.

Good luck with the tests:smile

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

First bike

If you are 6'4 then the Varadero is a very good suggestion.  The others will probably be too small/cramped for you.

Avoid anything Chinese!!!!   

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"Avoid anything Chinese!!!! "

a bit harsh that........Kung Pao Chicken's good :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale