Skip to content

Discuss This What do you think to loud exhausts on bikes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > What do you think to loud exhausts on bikes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

What do you think to loud exhausts on bikes?

There's no doubting aftermarket exhausts makes bikes sound a lot better, but are they annoying or do they actually save lives? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 May 2013 14:51)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
comfysofa

Apr 13

comfysofa says:

Don't get me wrong.....loud but nice sounding loud not ear splitting loud....just thought I'd get that in...

Reply to this Topic
rmbridge

May 06

rmbridge says:

Loud pipes DO save lives.  Driving home from holiday last weekend some numpty on a GSXR undertook me at speed on a dual carriageway before weaving his way thru 80mph traffic.  If it wasnt for his loud pipe I wouldve pulled into the slow lane and killed him for sure.  Question is tho would that have been a bad thing? :)

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

too loud

I live in a small village in the Fens, in one of the first houses after the 30mph limit. Groups of riders come in from the back roads doing the "Fen Grand Prix" and there's a definite difference in the impact and view in the village of the riders. Many riders come past my house in excess of 60mph in the 30 limit, either slowing down for the junction or doing a racing start out of the village. You would not believe the irritation in the village with loud pipes. The groups with race exhausts with the baffles out.. you can hear them coming for several miles and they really shatter the peace and quite of the village and when they come into the village, the sheer noise seems to add a further 20mph to the actual speed they are doing. The crumblies in the village are now so p'd off that they've got a speed camera from the police and when they hear them coming out they run out with it. As I understand it, the way it works is everyone who gets caught gets a warning letter first offence and prosecuted second time. Do they go running out when it's not noisy pipes? Really not - simply because there's not enough warning.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

btw

Just before anyone goes off on the standard "villagers hate motorcycles" rant.. a. The do the same for cars and b. There's a good number of motorcyclist in the village and a bike friendly pub. c. People in the village understand that we ride bikes for fun.. they just wish that we didn't double the speed limit with loud pipes.

Reply to this Topic
Mclovin

Jan 12

Mclovin says:

Had a stint of leaving for work at 0400, ended up having to push my bike about 100 metres down the road, quick start and off, just for the sake of diplomacy in the neighbourhood, so for that reason its a no. But otherwise if the sound is right a loud pipe (not outside my house at 0400) can be music to the ears. Changed my bike in the end, my back couldn't take it anymore.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

scientific

The University of Life concluded that there is direct inverse correlation between loudness of pipe and smallness of penis.

Reply to this Topic
exceledsteve

Apr 10

exceledsteve says:

For sale...

Road legal scorpion oval race can with link pipe for Honda CB1300... Seriously... Recently acquired bike with this pipe which is too loud for my taste. Looking for perfect standard Honda can instead. Will swap. Even though it is MoT legal it's still too loud for me. There, I've admitted it... And according to a University of Life study I'm no less of a man for it.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

SORRY

CAN'T HEAR A THING.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Huh ?

what...?

Reply to this Topic
sultan3458

Aug 07

sultan3458 says:

Loud Exhausts

I would hate to live in a world where you never heard a VFR/RVF, DUCATI 916, BMW Boxer Twin, or KTM single on an open pipe. Even Harleys sound glorious, and don't even get me started on old Yamaha RDs sporting Alspeeds! Having owned many different bikes with aftermarket exhausts, I just can't ignore the fact that pedestrians and other road users are definitely more aware of my presence when i'm "illegal". So that fact alone has got to be a positive. Particularly as we, as bikers, are so vulnerable. Even if it's a Sunny Sunday and I'm in the garden BBQing instead of riding, the sound of loud bikes passing by does not bother me at all. On the contrary, you can create an excellent drinking game out of "guess the bike". I've been known to identify a Guzzi on Conti's from a mile and a half away:) So, a wonderfully, musical, thunderous cacophony of sound, coupled to a touch of added safety and with just a twist of "Bad Ass, rebelliousness thrown in. Yes, loud exhausts are fine by me.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices