Skip to content

Discuss This What do you think to loud exhausts on bikes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > What do you think to loud exhausts on bikes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

What do you think to loud exhausts on bikes?

There's no doubting aftermarket exhausts makes bikes sound a lot better, but are they annoying or do they actually save lives? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 May 2013 14:51)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Chicken and Egg

Just so that people understand: we don't all have loud exhausts "so people can hear us coming" we have exhausts which are free-flowing and produce more power. They are noisier because of this. The exhaust on my ZZR is noisier than the stock system, it produces more power and weighs about 40lb less than stock. Why did I spend my hard-earned on this? because I use the bike in competition. When I occasionally ride it on the road I show restraint and consideration for others. It's how a bike is used that makes it annoying !!!! (or not)

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

I don't think there's any doubt, a blip of the throttle, with a loud pipe, can act as a warning to a dozy pedestrian or car driver.

But,  Joe Public undoubtedly associates noise with speed. In his eyes, a loud bike equals a speeding motorcyclist, who is clearly a menace to society.

Who cares ? Well anyone who values the freedom of a bike should, public opinion can easily influence future legislation. There's quite enough anti-bike legislation, without giving them more ammunition.

Reply to this Topic
sparkyboz

Feb 06

sparkyboz says:

Better a tut and a frown, from the blue rinse brigade, than a bike that sounds like someone farting softly into a pillow.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

I must admit to once having a big bore Remus exhaust on my ZZR1100 which had a 3" diameter collector pipe underneath the motor through to the end can. It was a tad loud and necessitated clutching in anywhere near a police car. Which was rather difficult when riding uphill and trying to coast past, looking all nonchallent........ lol

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Bob_1

The voice of reason again.

100% agreed, removing all the restriction on any high performance bike makes it a pleasure to ride and also far easier to ride. That is essentially what it is all about. Making the high performance engine breath as it was intended without the heavy emission kit and noise limitations.

A derestricted bike is a real joy, more people should try it. But as you say: in the right place. There is a time and a place for it. Thats how you keep your license and still have a play.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Bob_1

Do you live in the UK? Here in the US, most tracks have a noise limit, so even the track only sport-bikes are not nearly as loud as the Harley-Davidson Big Twins with straight pipes (even though the SuperBikes are producing 2 to 2½ times the power). When a pack of cruiser @r$eholes sits revving their engines at a red light, the noise is much louder than the pack when the green flag drops.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

HOSBUSA

Here in the US, the cruiser @r$eholes make as much noise as possible to intentionally disturb people - it is part of the make believe 1% MC fantasy. And a lot of them are off-duty cops, or politically well connected, so the plods do nothing about it.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Piglet2010

Yes I live in the UK, I don't ride my Kawasaki ZZR1400 (ZX14R in the USA) on the roads very much but often take it to shows and bike meets where there are usually police participating too. So far I have never been challenged about my bike's non-standard exhaust system. Maybe because of the way I ride. I don't feel the need to show anyone how quick it is by riding agressively or noisily. If they want to know they can talk to me and I'll tell them that this is a genuine 200mph motorcycle, 203.1mph in a standing-start mile at the last meeting in April. We do have noise limits at our meetings, a little less stringent than the 80dB road-legal limit but all bikes are tested and those that fail are excluded.

I just wish more riders would join a club and try sprints, trackdays or LSR meetings. It would rid them of the need to do it on the public highway. Am I old and boring? Come to a Straightliners meeting, watch me ride and then decide. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
triplehelix

May 13

triplehelix says:

Cruisers

I live in an area where there are a few sports bike riders, myself included, and also, a few chopper/cruiser boys.

At 11pm midnight odd if I hear a supersports go by, generally I can hear it but it's going so fast its a 2 second very very slight annoyance that disturbs my sleep

At 11pm midnight odd if I hear a chopper/cruiser, for some BIZARRE reason they decide to sit at junctions and BROBOROBOBOBOBOROBOBOBOROBOBOBBOOBOB BROOMMMMM BROMMMMMMMM BOROBOBOBOBOROBOBOBOROBOR for like 5 bloody minutes, and then they finally leave, the issue is because they're slow, they don't get out of earshot until a good 20-30 seconds after leaving, by which point I am fully awake and thoroughly pissed off.

Also it isn't just the dB level, chopper pipes reverberate a lot, and have doppler effects more, so even when they're halfway to birmingham from your house (unless you live in birmingham), the sound travels so far and you can really hear them. Sports bikes, while also noticeable, aren't as crass and in your ear.

Loud pipes makes you more noticeable. Why would someone make a peer reviewed paper about this? How would you set out controls etc? It will never happen. Of course loud pipes make one more noticable. Loud sounds snap drivers back into alertedness if they were day dreaming. If loud noises didn't do this, then police and ambulance wouldn't have sirens.

However I do agree that after a certain dB level, the noise is so loud you can't hear sirens etc yourself.

Everytime a biker suddenly appears behind me I notice them more often than not through the sudden noise level, and check my mirror to see a biker freshly appeared. I would check my mirrors before turning anyway so would've seen the biker anyway when needed, but the point is I am always reminded earlier a bike is present due to its sound. Every time, it makes me more aware.

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

dangerously fooling yourselves

I’m totally amused by the loud pipers on here who think anyone in a modern car can hear you. Enjoy your false sense of security until Darwin comes to get you, that’s if you haven’t managed to kill-off biking beforehand – thanks.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices