Skip to content

Ask an Expert France: compulsory reflective stickers on all helmets Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > France: compulsory reflective stickers on all helmets

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

TenBears

Aug 02

TenBears says:

France: compulsory reflective stickers on all helmets

following on from the reflective clothing thread...

March 16, 2013
Unfortunately, there has been for some time another (stupid) piece of legislation forcing all bikers in France, whether residents or visitors, to wear a helmet with reflective stickers on, and this one has not been scrapped. Bikers caught wearing a helmet without stickers may face a 135 euros fine payable on the spot and 3 points taken off their licence. The police have recently been enforcing this rule quite severely in Paris and other locations throughout France. All helmets must have four reflective stickers: one on the front, one at the rear and one on each side. The surface of each sticker must be 18 cm2 and, within each sticker, you must be able to draw a 40 mm diameter circle, or a 12.50 cm2 rectangle with a minimum of 20 mm length.

link

I don't know if this is being seriously endorsed. I haven't seen any French riders wearing these.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 323 days ago (30 May 2013 00:32)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
happylemon666

Mar 10

But take a look at this....

which states the law is from 1975, and only applies to helmets sold in france, not to helmets of riders visiting france......must admit, I never noticed these stickers when I lived there.

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

Reply to this Topic
spike123

May 10

spike123 says:

Reflective stickers

We intend to tour in Normandy this August and I have scanned the internet about this and there does not seem to be any definitive answer to the question of reflective stickers on crash helmets in France and the legal requirements for them. How could something so simple be so complicated. :mad: :wacko:  

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

Hi.  So I've just come back from a week in France/Germany/Austria/Italy a few weeks ago, and I only heard about this the week before I set off so had no hope of doing anything about it.  I did keep my eye out for French helmets though, and it struck me that they do seem to have a white stickers on them.  I never noticed before because I assumed it was part of the design!

Anyway, I wouldn't worry, I only saw the fuzz at the tunnel and once at a border before a tunnel into France.  They never stopped me, nor the Italian I was chatting too, and neither did the 2 Czech chaps on UK bikes I chatted to in France have anything special on their helmets.

I notice there's a lot of signs for 'are you legal to drive in Europe' at the tunnel, but bugger all for bikes. which never helps.  Same as on the FO websites for travellers.  It should be up to them I think to tell us what we're supposed to do/need/carry/require etc, and for us to actually conform rather than reading bits and bobs on the net, reposting it, and confusing the hell out of each other.  Still, we are the forgotten, not wanted ones.

Reply to this Topic
LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

Helmet stickers

I have just returned from a week in France on the bike. I never saw anyone wearing stickers. I even had a chat with a bike cop in St Omer, who was riding the same bike as me (Fjr 1300 ), he never mentioned anything, he seemed more interested in my fenda extender !!!!:lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
urbmark

Nov 07

urbmark says:

Helmet stickers

It is law in France.

French helmets such as Shark include the four stickers to place on the front/rear/ and sides.

Reply to this Topic
timball9596

Jul 13

timball9596 says:

Stickers

Hi just planning our trip to france/belgium/germany. my first one so getting all the advice i can before i go.
this helmet thing is confusing, i have bought a shark helmet recently and that does indeed have stickers in the pack, but i dont want stickers all over my helmet ruining the look of it if its not essential. worth the risk or not? are they even that fussed about it? :huh:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

You pays ya money

you takes ya choice 

Ferry to Holland or Denmark anyone?.......enjoy Belgium and Germany though :smile

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

stickers

If you're worried about how they look, then remove them when you get home.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle