Skip to content

Ask an Expert Possible new motorcyclist ! Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Possible new motorcyclist !

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Tillett

Jun 13

Tillett says:

Possible new motorcyclist !

Bassicaly recently mooved and now live out in the middle of no where and have been looking into taking a cbt test so I can get a 125 cc as I'm under the impression buy/running/insuring one of these would be a lot cheaper than a car(am I right in thinking this ?)

I'm 6'2 17 stone so have been looking at bikes and have come across something like this and was wondering as well as the previous question above is this bike would fit me needs of fairly cheap, reliable and easyish to use for a newbie http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-SUZUKI-RV-125-K7-VAN-VAN-BLUE-/181138997751?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2a2cb9c1f7 ?? any help info would be much appriciate :D been staring at this bloody computer screen for 4 hours now :blink:. Cheers !!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 June 2013 15:19)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

first bike

Bearing in mind, your height and weight, I would point you at a bigger Adventure style bike, what about a Honda Varadero 125?

Reply to this Topic
Tillett

Jun 13

Tillett says:

First bike

Hey cheers fair enough they are bit more exspensive but this seems to be the sort of 125 cc bike people keep refering to for a guy my size so maybey it's worth forking out an extra bit for one of these then. as it's a superbike style would it be good for my back I was looking at the other type of bikes that I put a link to my first post on because you can sit up right and ride them, am I right in thinking this ? cheers again :D

Reply to this Topic
Tillett

Jun 13

preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Might to worth a look at

a Yamaha WR125R to indeed X :smile

Reply to this Topic
Tillett

Jun 13

Tillett says:

Nice !

They look nice ! little out of my price ranger don't really wanna be going above around £1300 for my first bike as I imagin I'll bang it around a little bit in the first few months ! cheers though :)

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Dunno

If you are 6 foot or over the Van Van will look like a toy (Have a look on YouTube).
Probably the best bike for tallest riders is the Honda Varadero XL125 which is like a Dirt bike in style. Its one major fault is its economy is relatively poor (75 ish) where as a Honda CBF125 should be 95+ (maybe even as high as 130). The CBF125 is probably the bike I would recomend to anyone who has budget issues and they are probably the second biggest bike (XL125 the biggest)...
Im going to let you answer the question as to if running a bike is going to be cheaper than running a car. Its a bit controversial and does depend on your age (insurance) as well as the mileage you are doing.  Cars like the Citroen C1s would probably be cheaper to run than most biggish bikes for me (They have pretty good economy, large service intervals, no chains to replace, tyres are cheap and last forever, you don't need to to buy helmets and clothing regularly and insurance is pretty cheap for me - The F800 is good but struggles in comparison with a C1). Not sure how a C1 compares to something like a CBF125 for you (very age dependent) and I haven't run a 125 to know how often things wear out. 
Help guys anyone run a CBF125 and no how much and how long tyres and chains last?
You can phone a Honda dealer and ask them about the frequency of services and the cost (explain why and see if they are friendly - if they are they might be worth using). Simmerly you can get insurance quotes online...
Best Wishes

Andy

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices