Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow: ‘I’d have been happy with fourth’ MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow: ‘I’d have been happy with fourth’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow: ‘I’d have been happy with fourth’

Cal Crutchlow was celebrating an unlikely second successive podium in a row in 2013 after he was the chief benefactor of late drama in Mugello yesterday. The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team rider was doing his best to chase down Repsol Honda duo Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa with an impressive charge in the second half of the 23-lap race. Lying fourth...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 June 2013 10:30)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DoubtingThomas

Apr 13

Shit stig

Shit, stig. Heh, Jamie's right, those commas are great things.

Anyway, if we only get to write about people we know, it would be a pretty dull place on here. There's speaking your mind, then there's making shit up. The latter is tedious, and pointless. Why does he do it?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Disinformation has long been a weapon in sport

Perhaps it's that? Perhaps it’s selected usage of comments made by Crutchlow and then thrown out by the press? Perhaps he’s deliberately trying to appear a bit stupid? He doesn’t come across as stupid to me, not in the way that say, Peter Beardsley does.
Not sure it matters really does it? He seems to have mostly gotten the hang of riding a GP bike, a feat I’ve not seen since, in a Brit, since Mackenzie or Sheene. A good effort no?
I think the Rev is harsh, there is much wisdom in a lot of what he says but it's still a bit harsh. The question is, does Cal Crutchlow deserve a factory ride, the answer to that is a straight yes. It gets more complicated when you start adding the detail, does he deserve a 2 year deal next to Lorenzo? You cannot answer this without Rossi being the fulcrum in the argument, I'd say he deserves a go at least. Without tempting fate, a situation like Johnny Rea found himself in last season would sort it out. Will Yamaha run 3 full factory bikes, it's hard to call.
A full time factory ride will probably require either Rossi or Lorenzo to not be there, permanently, the next checkpoint for this will (hopefully) be the end of the season. Barring serious injury Lorenzo isn't likely to suffer an enormous dip in form between now and then. The reverse is pretty much true for Rossi.
If Rossi continues on the same trajectory, or dips further, between now and the end of the season then he’s going to find it just that little bit more difficult to want to go through the whole process again next year. If Rossi suddenly starts banging out podiums and a couple of wins you'd expect him to stay. A new improved M1 might save his arse but he’ll have to perform on it.
Then it comes down to Cal & Pol and whatever they do between now and the end of the season. I suspect a bit of up and down before landing in a similar place to where they are now will be the result for both.
I said before, I think Cal should look elsewhere, forget Yamaha, Ducati look a more serious option than this time last year and maybe Suzuki have done something with their bike. He might end up at Suzuki by default as I'm sure Ducati know now that they will be at least -1 US rider next year and are moving and shaking to fix this. Scott Redding would be the obvious replacement with a mid to long term eye although maybe the D16 is the bit extra Crutchlow needs? The GP14 will be a better bike than the GP13 without question.
I can relate to the suddenly coming around to Cal and it was a very similar experience, something he said to Matt Roberts, a glint, a hint of boyish rebellion, I think he realised early on that a large part of it is playing the game. A lot of the crashing, in my opinion, is trying too hard and not lack of ability and whoever said he has no charisma probably thinks Julio Iglesias is cool so isn’t qualified to comment.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Jamie

Nice ,very nice

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

ElDerito

Pizzas delivered down to the ghettos,my the look on your childrens face when I arrived with them,priceless.

Benny

Yes ye could argue the case that if Crutch had pushed at Lemans there was a possible win but not this time,he was to far behind 3 works riders and to push on and possibly crash would have been rather stupid,no one was to know the Hondas tyres were gonna go,it isn't a crime to settle for a position and thats a riders and teams choice,wouldn't you have had a field day if he fell or blew a motor.

Reply to this Topic
DoomedDog

Jul 10

DoomedDog says:

Michael Bartholemy

Crash.net:
When you say 'factory ride', do you mean all bikes made by a manufacturer, or only the official 'factory' team?

Michael Bartholemy:
For me factory ride in Yamaha means those of Rossi, Lorenzo, Crutchlow and Smith and the same with Honda and Ducati, any bike made by that manufacturer. Because for me there is not a big difference between the factory and satellite bikes.

The bike is a bike. A factory doesn't make a sh*t bike for a satellite team they're just too expensive and the difference between how they are doing is with the rider. If satellite riders say that they have an old bike, the oldest it will be is last year.

Look at the lap times Lorenzo was doing on his bike last year and then compare them with the lap times that Cal is doing this year. I haven't checked but I feel sure that Lorenzo would be faster.

If riders complain about the bike when they're on a satellite bike then I think they're really just wingeing. As long as you're on one of the four bikes from each manufacturer then you'll be OK, there may be a small delay in getting parts, but the bike is basically OK.

So quit your moaning and wingeing Cal and get on and win - your on a good enough bike to do it. Enough with this "I'll be happy with top four/five" nonsence.

If Cal wants a factory ride then clearly he thinks he's good enough for it. Well if Lorenzo was on that Tech 3 M1 he'd still be winning races or at the very least putting in a strong challenge for wins. So should Cal.

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Benny

This'll keep you going until teatime, keep watching 0.16secs xxx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QYJNsGn_Vo

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

Like I said Benny Cal like all the others pin the throttle and drop the clutch when the lights go out and from there on they are just passengers until they reach the first corner,so why does Cal come out second best,is it he's got no balls and he knocks the throttle back or is there slight difference in the factory saralite packages.

Like ye say all he needs to do is stop crashing and start from the front row,well thats easy to say but to start on the front row he needs to out qualify Yorgi Dani Rossi and Marquez,theres 3 aliens at least I can count and 4 factory bikes.

DoomedDog,

For me factory ride in Yamaha means those of Rossi, Lorenzo, Crutchlow and Smith.

Because for me there is not a big difference between the factory and satellite

The devil in the detail is "not a big difference"

Can ye see the contradiction of what Bartholemy is saying,when your talking .2 of a second over a 1 minute 30 second lap that is the slight difference that makes the factory teams FACTORY.

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

Kawasaki couldn't beat the satalites,nuff said

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

Maybe you could have done a better job running Kawasaki

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

I think you should

Style has been missing from Kawasakis since the B1H came out, the race bikes haven't been cool since Scott Russell. Tom Sykes' bike isn't cool it's just jet propelled and expertly guided, Benny, I think noddy may not be quite as daft as he looks.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices