Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow: ‘I’d have been happy with fourth’ MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow: ‘I’d have been happy with fourth’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow: ‘I’d have been happy with fourth’

Cal Crutchlow was celebrating an unlikely second successive podium in a row in 2013 after he was the chief benefactor of late drama in Mugello yesterday. The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team rider was doing his best to chase down Repsol Honda duo Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa with an impressive charge in the second half of the 23-lap race. Lying fourth...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 June 2013 10:30)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

1.2s off which of Rossi's times - his sighting lap or on his scooter?

Biaggi was lapping in the 1.54 bracket. That wouldn't put him on the back of the grid. Seems to be contradiction as to whether he was on Spies bike or the lab bike.

Biaggi finishing Rossi's career? Come on now... He may have been as fast as Rossi back in the early 2000s but he threw the bike away too often and lost many a good points haul. And his trait of running on at corners stayed with him to the last of his WSB seasons. Biaggi competitive on a Ducati after 8 years away from Motogp? No chance. Wouldn't suit him at all sir.

Having said that, you couldn't put a value to certain sponsors on the sight of Biaggi on a Ducati passing Rossi's M1 for the last podium place...

Reply to this Topic
Firebird3

Nov 11

Firebird3 says:

Biaggi a class act??????......surely this can't be. When Rossi won 9 WC, he apparently didn't have any opposition!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
73mach3

Oct 12

73mach3 says:

sorry

his times where miss quoted more like 154's

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Wow 195 comments on the Crutchlow thread.

Reply to this Topic
gixanator

May 13

gixanator says:

Ex WSB Champs

interesting hypotheses about Max returning to race the Duke.

i seem to remember another ex WSB champ made a rather successful foray on the Duke, albeit the 990 but if Max has the tools to do the job and the desire for the job why not?

i agree with the Rev that Spies seems to have morphed into that other american fast kid, Freddy Spencer with no apparent reason to not perform although to be fair to Ben at least he turns up even when he's not going to race, a trait Freddy never quite mastered!

i have to disagree with the Rev that Cal was "gifted" the podium at Mugello; no-one at this level is gifted anything, that's why Cal is so vocal about a factory ride.

the whole aim of the 26 riders is to set off when the reds go out and ride to the best of their ability and skill until the chequers are waved and if you don't make it to that point you don't deserve the place, if you do (Cal) you get a podium, if you don't (Mark) you don't.

it's not rocket science and in 20 years the results won't say "3rd C. Crutchlow(gifted the podium due to M. Marquez crashing)"; that is all that matters.

as any racer will tell you, to finish first , first you have to finish so it wasn't a gift from Mark, it was a mistake that cost  him the podium he, like Cal would have deserved had he kept it rubber side down.

Reply to this Topic
gixanator

May 13

gixanator says:

i agree Rev, Cal did elude to the podium being a "gift" but like every racer ever born he'll take it as he knows as well as every other racer that you do indeed have to finish the race to be given a place.

and you're right, enough of that.

is Max coming back because of unfinished business?

i don't believe so, Max is a racer, he'll race whoevers in front (or preferably behind!) of them so i'd imagine he's just curious as to whether he still  has it and even if he's the last of the prototypes he's still in the top 10 racers in MotoGP.

it might be argued that Pol or Scott might have a better chance but these things inevitably get mired in politics but every manager in the paddock knows WHO he wants (Herve is intent on keeping Cal somehow) but then Dorna and the sponsors wave the cash and at the end of the day that's what talks.

Max is a celeb of MotoGP racing so, like Vale he's a sponsors dream (it becomes more about popularity than ability sometimes) ; do you believe that Max still has the ability to beat Lorenzo because that's what MotoGP is about,  beating the best.

just out of interest Rev, would you rather see Max on the Duke or Pol (i know with contractual obligations there's no chance but let's hypohesise like we are with Max)?

there are, sadly a lot of capable riders that may never get the chance to see how they'd fare in the big class and wouldn't Max be denying a more able racer (but not neccessarily more sponsor/factory favourable personality) the chance to shine?

who would be your ideal racer in Spies absence Rev?

Reply to this Topic
gixanator

May 13

gixanator says:

that's fair enough , Max on a Duke would be a spectacle and i can't argue that he won't be setting the grid alight with his racing.

one concern i have with Max and the Duke; the only 2 racers to have put the Duke up there are Bayliss(990) and Stoner and they have one other thing in common  than just nationality, they both loved a bike that moved around and weren't bothered about stability (or handling in general to be honest!), Max is renowned for his smoothness and lap on lap consistency.

do you think that might be a disadvantage for Max?

i'd love to see Max on the Duke but as a spectacle rather than a true run at the championship which i'm not suggesting you're implying.

i'm not sure how Vale would take the news that possibly 2 Dukes will be in front of him for the rest of the season!!!!!!!!!!! (that's not a bait for the Rossi fans by the way).

Reply to this Topic
gixanator

May 13

gixanator says:

that's good to hear Rev, if the Duke can be made to handle like a bike instead of a shed (relatively) it can only help Dovi and Nicky.

one thought though; do you think Max is being brought in only to develop the Duke?

seems strange if  he is as Dovi is touted as one of the best development riders out there and if he's struggling isn't calling on Max an admission that they have no clues after Vale failed and , with all due respect, Dovi seems destined to follow (at this early stage admittedly).

for the sake of the sport the Duke needs to get sorted, if the might of Audi can't make it work then it would appear that maybe the famous 90 degree layout is destined to change.

whether it's the layout or not surely Audi at some stage will demand a return on it's investment and the germans are nothing if not pragmatic when it comes to success!

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

It's about time we turned this Max Biaggi thread into

one about Guy Martin.

Here's an onboard lap at this years TT from the Mungo Jerry loving freak, it's in two parts and you'll find the 2nd part when you open the first one, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVXc29ZgutI

Reply to this Topic
gixanator

May 13

gixanator says:

i feel for Guy, probably destined to be the best rider never to win a TT.

didn't do Stirling Moss much harm though (as the best driver never to win the F1 WC before anyone wonders why the comparison).

seeing Guy on ITVs coverage he looks more tense rather than less as Parrish et al seem to be suggesting.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices