Skip to content

HONDA Staff Blog: Welcome back CBR500 CBR500R

You are in... Forums > HONDA > CBR500R > Staff Blog: Welcome back CBR500

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Calton  says:

Staff Blog: Welcome back CBR500

When the first Yamaha FZR600 came out back in the day (1990) I was all over it like a rash. The black and pink paintscheme may have been a little 'let's go disco' naff but these were the days of the Carl Fogarty crazy worm leathers! After that I owned one of the early Kawasaki ZX-6Rs and loved that too. I later...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 June 2013 16:35)

Post a message in CBR500R

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Couldn't agree more

Codgers: know your limits! I'm perfectly happy on an 11 year old GPZ500S - it's more capable than I am. The thought of getting a 600 that makes no more torque and power until 8000rpm and then ramps away into the stratosphere just baffles me. When and where can you actually ride like that on a UK public road?

Reply to this Topic
exceledsteve

Apr 10

exceledsteve says:

CBR600F

Bought a 12 year old one on a whim, a kind of mid life crisis bike, and frankly I couldn't wait to see the back of it after only 2 weeks. It made me want to ride faster than I should because it could, it made me feel like someone I'm not, sounded busier than it really was and would have looked stupid with a topbox, which I need. I'll always want one but it's totally wasted on me. Right, off to put the kettle on now...  

Reply to this Topic
Danny456D

Nov 12

Danny456D says:

You was shocked by the power of a ZX6R? Honestly? I've a tweed trilby hat my Grandad gave me if you fancy it?

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Yeh

I want a bike that exceeds my current abilities so I've somewhere to go in terms of skill but also has the low-down torque that makes for a fun and useful road bike.

I'm sure my bike can be ridden better than I can ride it but I feel like I can't get the hang of pushing it any harder and I'm stagnating. I don't really ride that fast either. I don't want outright top end power that'll send me to licence losing speeds in a heartbeat but I want the handling and so on to really allow me to test myself but know the bike will be able to recover if I get into trouble. Power isn't everything and to the everyday rider it's potentially a liability when you're riding home after work and tired.

I need a supermoto again to cure my cravings.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

Power

Compared to a c90 maybe.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Pretty Much So

Agreed that a SuperSport is not a good road bike for most purposes - I am considering either dropping the road license and insurance on my CBR600F4i and taking off the lights, mirrors etc and only riding it on the track, or maybe trading it in for the CBR500R or a Duke 390.  A bike where peak power in 1st gear and peak torque in 2nd gear is faster than the speed limit makes no sense for street riding.

Reply to this Topic
sleeping thunder

May 07

I must be getting old

At last a journo telling it like it really is.In the real world these super stiff high reving 600's are crap as you hit one pot hole to the next trying to find the apex & dont get me started on the seating position of some.Like someone as allready stated they make most of there power high in the rev's & a GPZ 500 is more useable.

Reply to this Topic
sleeping thunder

May 07

I must be getting old

At last a journo telling it like it really is.In the real world these super stiff high reving 600's are crap as you hit one pot hole to the next trying to find the apex & dont get me started on the seating position of some.Like someone as allready stated they make most of there power high in the rev's & a GPZ 500 is more useable.

Reply to this Topic
AndyCalts

Jul 12

AndyCalts says:

cbr500

Glad to see there's a fair amount of broad agreement on my sentiment. Of course, it;s only my opinion and evryone wants something different from a bike - and that is absolutely fair enough.For now, for me, the CBR500R is plenty of bike.... maybe that will change in time.

Reply to this Topic
ksibley

Aug 03

ksibley says:

CBR500X

Just ordered me a CBR500X - a replacement for my high milage VFR800, I'm hoping it will help pay for itself with decent fuel consumption (VFR is averaging 45mpg) so a real world potential of a 33% saving (£40/month) On the test ride I was amazed at how much lighter it felt than the viffer and its a much better motorway bike than the NC700X I also tested. Would be interested to know what people are actually achieving mpg wise.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices