Skip to content

SUZUKI Staff blog: A question for readers BURGMAN 650

You are in... Forums > SUZUKI > BURGMAN 650 > Staff blog: A question for readers

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Staff blog: A question for readers

I’ve been accused of being over-critical of bikes in the past. A spot of rust after a couple of months and I have a whinge about it in print. “What about the positives?” a manufacturer once complained.  So I’m not going to do that this time. I’m going to report that the Burgman 650 ABS Executive is a fantastic, underestimated...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 June 2013 10:03)

Post a message in BURGMAN 650

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Fit for purpose

It's a matter of it being fit for purpose. Here we use a lot of salt and a mild steel is going to corrode and corrode quickly. I would judge that exhaust not fit for the purpose for which it was intended as it will not last a reasonable length of time. The cynic in me would suggest they've done it to sell parts. The Sale of Goods act makes the seller responsible for the goods for 6 years (I think), so if your exhaust goes in that amount of time you may have some comeback (although they'll probably weedle out of it). On an expensive bike, you're paying for quality components and for something that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg every couple of years when the exhaust goes pop. I can understand it on a cheapo bike - you get what you pay for but on an expensive scooter like this you've a right to expect it to be decent. Can't the exhaust at least be well painted or covered in a protective layer? Surely it can be done without adding more than a tenner to the cost. Yes paint will come off but it'll delay the corrosion and extend the life of the exhaust at minimal expense. My 2007 BMW exhaust shows how it should be done - not a scrap of corrosion (that I can see) and it has never been washed properly through winters. Even the downpipes and bolts holding it in place are sound. We know it can be done so why can't all motorcycle manufacturers selling to the UK make their exhausts suitable for the corrosive winters? I think you should moan when corrosion sets in after a few weeks as it's important for potential buyers to know and to expect the expense. I would love to do your job and be able to make manufacturers THINK before using cheap crap to build their bikes. Personally, I'd be complaining to the dealer that the exhaust has started to corrode despite reasonable maintenance and make sure they log it so if it does go early, you have it documented and can come back at them.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Steve, have you bought the Burgman with your own money?

If not, would you?  I'm trying to keep an open mind on them, but the price is just eye watering.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Its a long term test bike ,yes?

if so then i would take it back asap. but its unlikely to demonstrate Sukuki's after care as they will want to sort it quickly or take it back (remember the debarcle with the BMW f650 long termer last year).

if its your own bike then take it back as well and lets see how Suzuki shape up in the after sales department.

as for rust on a bike that age, no its not acceptable, but is a sad inditment of Suzuki's build quality.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Galvanic corrosion.

As manufacturers assemble components made of different metals and alloys I wonder whether they consider the likelihood of galvanic or bimetallic corrosion? (The preferential and accelerated corrosion which occurs in one metal when in contact with a dissimilar one in the presence of an electrolyte.)

For years ships have used a "sacrificial anode", a piece of metal whose only function is to corrode and save the rest of the hull. The possibility of bimetallic corrosion is still occasionally forgotten until it's too late, even by the Navy. I found a couple of examples:

"In 1982 the nose wheels failed on two Royal Navy Sea Harriers which had returned from the Falklands conflict. Studies showed that the same galvanic action which had been so clear to the scientists who had studied HMS Alarm 219 years earlier had occurred between the magnesium alloy wheel hub and its stainless-steel bearing."

"In 2011 the US Navy's newest warship, Independence, (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/06/shipbuilder-blames-navy-as-brand-new-warship-disintegrates/) was found to have crippling corrosion where the steel water jet impeller housings came into contact with the surrounding aluminum structure. Electrical charges possibly originating in the ship’s combat systems apparently sparked the electrolysis."

In fact perhaps bike manufacturers use the steel exhaust as a sacrificial anode since it is expected to corrode internally anyway and eventually need replacement due to the corrosive exhaust gases, ie: it's already a "consumable,"  - a bit far fetched, perhaps!

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

After a few months of salted roads, I guess a suggestion of rust is inevitable, but not on summer roads.

I've just bought a 250 Inazuma, with a black painted collector box. Any sign of rust, before the winter, and it'll be going back to Suzuki under complaint.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

james

you is.......awesome fella......

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

snev,

I know you mean nerdy! :mellow::laugh:
Get back on your own RSV1000 Brembo clutch thread and then tell me I'm awesome.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I have a conspiracy theory that spare parts are propping up the price of bikes. Let me explain. A few years ago, a magazine or paper (can't remember which) calculated that to build a CBR600 from spares would cost £20,000. That was when they cost £7000 new. Imagine going into your local DIY store and saying 'How much to supply and erect that conservatory at my house?' Dealer says '£6000 sir' and you say 'Well, how much if I buy the bits and assemble it myself?' Dealer says 'That will be £20,000 then sir' No, it would never happen, but it does when we buy bike spares!!! And don't tell me that mark-up comes from packaging and delivery when loads of spares get delivered at the same time.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Hi Steve

Did you seriously use a CBF125 for your 800 mile a week commute, and if so, for how long... a day, a week, a month(s)?

I'd love to run something as cheap as this for my daily commute if it was practical, and have a nice little R6 tucked up in the garage for evenings and weekends.

Reply to this Topic
TheReg

Jul 12

TheReg says:

For the cost of purchase...new bikes these days are nowhere near to the standards of new cars in this regard.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices