Skip to content

Discuss This Clampdown on un-roadworthy bikes catches 15 times as many cars General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Clampdown on un-roadworthy bikes catches 15 times as many cars

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Clampdown on un-roadworthy bikes catches 15 times as many cars

A police clampdown on un-roadworthy motorcycles ended up catching up to 15 times more cars than bikes. Police had warned riders in advance: 'Don't risk it by taking to the roads without ensuring that your motorcycle is in a fully roadworthy condition.’ But only eight out of 129 vehicles caught in the three-day clampdown were motorcycles. A further 629 speeding offences...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 319 days ago (06 June 2013 10:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RICHARD545

Sep 10

RICHARD545 says:

NOT SURPRISED

We all know what a sensible bunch we motorcyclists are !!! :)

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

it's because motorcyclists keep their bikes in order for the most part and if something goes wrong you're screwed rather than in a car it will be someone else that gets screwed

Reply to this Topic
BFG50

Feb 11

BFG50 says:

Or...

Most vehicles pulled over were cars so there's bound to be more bad cars than bad bikes. This article is possibly the vaguest piece of journalism I've ever read. About 5% of unroadworthy vehicles were bikes, and about 5% of speeding offences were bikes. About 1.5 million bikes and about 40 million cars on the road, those stats stack up pretty well. Slow news day?

Reply to this Topic
Ben52

Sep 09

Ben52 says:

Unroadworthy bikes

A bike with a race can or small number plate would be classed as un roadworthy, not exactly as dangerous as some of the heap of shit cars you see on the roads

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

tyres

I bet a lot of this was tyres, as motorcyclists if our tyres are not good we change them straight away because its much more obvious with feel etc but in a car its not , I see lots of cars with bald tyres but hardly any bikes.

Reply to this Topic
comfysofa

Apr 13

comfysofa says:

I have to agree - tyres are the thing that i check the most.....you cant fall off of a car...

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Lies, damn lies, and...

Motorcycles travel almost exactly 1% as many miles as cars and light vans.  And yet we made up 6% of the vehicles that were defective here.

What proportion of traffic did we make up on the roads that they were targeting during this period?  Was it more or less than 6%?  We've no idea, so there's no context for knowing whether the number of penalties issued is higher or lower than would be expected.

Anyway, since I'm on about numbers here's some handy ones: "67 (6)", the section of the Road Traffic Act 1988 that grants the right to halt and defer a roadside test unless the vehicle has been involved in a RTC or is "so obviously defective that it should not be allowed to proceed". 

Learn it, use it, you won't be offered the opportunity, you have to assert it.  I'd encourage you do so even if - actually, especially if - you believe that your vehicle is fully roadworthy.

Reply to this Topic
BobLeDuc

Jul 11

BobLeDuc says:

Don't compare the percentage of bikes failing to cars failing. The real factor is the failure percentage of bikes tested 

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Seeing as there are thirty times more cars than bikes on the road, this is an irrelevant statistic at best. If anything, surely it shows how badly kept some bikes are if they only caught fifteen times the amount of cars.

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

utter bollox

You can prove what you want with statistics, in this case un-roadworthy probably included loud cans, small plates and slack chains. Anyway it's well proven that 63% of all statistics are made up!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle