Skip to content

Discuss This WSB Portimão Race Two: Disaster for Sykes as Laverty takes victory World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > WSB Portimão Race Two: Disaster for Sykes as Laverty takes victory

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Hunt  says:

WSB Portimão Race Two: Disaster for Sykes as Laverty takes victory

It was a disastrous second race in Portimão for pole-sitter, Tom Sykes after he dropped his bike on the sighting lap; smashing his screen, denting his tank and requiring a brake lever change from the pit-lane before being forced to start the race from his Kawasaki KRT garage.This effectively meant that Eugene Laverty – who had his own misfortune in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 June 2013 16:14)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
huggydave

Aug 12

huggydave says:

Agree benny the bikes r too far developed, but most stock road bikes have electronic aids on them now, granted most racers who try standard road packages on track end up turning it all off but the stuffs only going to get better now a electronics war developed between European manufacturers and some jap to get our business,the bsb rules ain't bad but there already moaning about people bending them, stock bikes are already racing, called superstock, if you ain't riding a panigale or s1000rr you ain't going too win, shows how restricted them 1200 dukes are in sbk, suppose they could all race R6's round, oh wait a min...... Besides Monza wasn't boaring, that was a good scrap for the win, n if a yank, Aussie or Somalian are good enough from AMA or bsb they'll usually get a shot, either that or watch the Spanish Armada in motogp winning every race so far this year now a certain Aussie isn't there mixing it up, ah decison's, decison's dorma

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

@ The Vicar of Dribbley

Incuding Jonny on the under performing Blade there was 4 Different manufactures and 5 riders going for wins yesterday with good close racing,whats wrong with that.Maybe if Haslam wasn't injured and Chaz would get his under performing ass out of bed the fight for the front would be even better.

Ban traction con,do this do that,maybe Dornas answer to its/your problems is to go round to your house and detractors like you and shoot the lot of yez. Dwindling crowds well maybe you could get off ye computer and go and watch a race but I'm thinking you'd probably upset all there and they'd kick the shit out of ye.

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Boring?

Melandri, Laverty, Sykes, 3 riders, 2 races and 6 completely different outcomes ranging from hero to zero and back. In one afternoon.

I agree with some of what you say Benny but if you're a bit more objective you'll see that the track action comes despite a lot of the issues you rightly point out. Both races were the first time I've not fallen asleep during any racing this season (apart from the TT obviously where it's impossible to sleep). That's a gauge of not boring for me.

WSB might well have it's problems and be struggling to justify itself but you can't say the racing is boring as this is rarely the case.

I think the universal application of standard "Superbike" rules for all domestic and the world series is the only solution needed. Costing shouldn't be too difficult to manage and massage given that you have a starting point with a commercially available product, the bike, working out a sensible cap and set of rules should be fairly straightforward.

Exclusivity deals between suppliers and manufacturers should be banned too. Production and prototype should both have clearly different and defined boundaries. Perhaps the claiming rule might be better suited to WSB? On track WSB looks healthier to me, the racing, it's better, it's better spectacle and I can relate to it more, it might not have the "glamour" of GPs but it doesn't lack in the action stakes and rarely has.

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

noddy 61

Well said dude,I wonder exactly how many people off here travel to races outside of their own country and put money in the coffers or is all about hiding behind a computer.

As for WSB the rules are already changing.

What did for WSB was how many motors Biaggi used in a season worse piece of PR I've ever seen.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

I'm with the Reverend on this one

Where WSBK lost me a little is the current breed of riders. I think we used to look back on some of the 'nineties grids and think yeah these boys were a bit special.

Jonny Rea on Casey's RCV was a bit of an eye opener for me. I thought he'd show a little more turn of speed on that thing. After all MM just slung a leg over and dropped the clutch - immediately fast.

Apart from Melandri the C.V's on the other top runners leaves me a little well underwhelmed. I know this is unduly harsh because Skyes, Laverty, Guintoli and Davies have all matured as riders and are damn impressive. Yet I'm just not feeling the WSBK love like I used to.

MotoGP using 5 engines and WSBK using 20 plus? Hmmm....Which series is the more out of touch?

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

The reason why Rea struggled riding a GP bike is a world away from WSB apart from they've both got an engine and two wheels they've little in common and I'm not saying that as a guess.

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

On the flip side Nostro Marco and Max didn't set the world on fire when they arrived to superbikes and were talking 2 cracking riders.Poor Jonny when he got a shot on the RCV was under orders not to crash Caseys bike and I'll bet 50p that he rode with an old end of life engine,maybe if he was given free reign like Marquez was given the story could have been different.

WSB is a good bolt hole in reality for GP failures, be it be the bikes or the riders. but it is also a good series for the likes of BMW to get into racing without the total expence of gps.

BSB working fine without TC and thats fine keeps and the expence down in national racing,on the other hand WSB is the place for some manufactures to test packages that may end up on the road without going the gp route.

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

Every thing to lose

Rea is a world class rider and on Stoners bike he had every thing to lose if he dropped it and was injured. Because his contract is as a WSB rider. I personally think when he rode Stoners bike with very little testing he did a fantastic job. If he had been given a contract and a bit more time he would be regulary on the podium in MOTOGP. I take nothing away from Marquez who is amazingly quick. But look how many times he has crashed. Its only a matter of time before he hurts himself. To me the best racing series would be the MOTOGP Boys up against  the WSB boys on BSB spec bikes then we could see who is truly the world champion

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

WSBK has lost its Sparkle

No question about it, it has become too expensive to take part to technical, the factories have become less interested and so have the fans,anyone attending the Silverstone round of Motogp WSBK and BSB will be able to tell you there is no comparison between the attendance of GP and WSBK nor the atmosphere and BSB still better than WSBK for my money,These Bikes have to become more road bike based as they were and then maybe the grids would swell and more factories would return ,who knows, but something should and has got to happen it's dying faster than the Ash trees and duller than a British Summers Day

Reply to this Topic
glm7354

Mar 13

glm7354 says:

If use 5 engines per year then Bmw and Aprilia will go to sell bicycle.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices