Skip to content

Discuss This MotoGP grid set to swell to 28 bikes in 2014 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > MotoGP grid set to swell to 28 bikes in 2014

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

MotoGP grid set to swell to 28 bikes in 2014

The MotoGP grid could swell to its largest size in years with the potential for a 28-strong entry in 2014.With Honda, Yamaha and Ducati all contracted to supply four factory prototypes each, there is the possibility that 16 additional entries will be permitted to compete, including Suzuki with a new two-rider factory effort.Suzuki were to be subject to stringent entry...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 June 2013 13:40)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

Dorna only have themselves to blame for the current state of Motogp.
We have had a good few seasons now where you can literally count on one hand the number of genuinely exciting races there have been in the last 100 races. In any sport or anything else really if you are accepting 5% is a success figure then you are massively under-achieving in what you are doing.  And not doing a good enough job to attract new fans or even to keep existing fans happy. The class is in the doldrums.
28 bikes on a grid would be great if they were roughly the same, but they are not. There is almost 3 or 4 levels of Motogp bike now. Full factory, satellite teams, rich tricked up CRT teams, financially poor CRT teams. 28 is certainly better than a couple of seasons back when as little as 15 started and  could see barely 10 guys finished sometimes. No wonder track attendance started dropping off. TV cannot make anything exciting out of those numbers, losing 2 major manufacturers like Kawasaki and Suzuki was a disaster, in turn sponsorship and corporate business will run a mile too.
Catch 22 for all concerned, yes the bad state of the global economy is also part of the issues but I reckon Dorna are primarily to blame. They have fallen into a culture of restricting practise sessions, restricting tyre competition, restricting tyre numbers, restriction revs, restricting fuel all supposedly to keep budgets down but at the same time trying to break big business into the US market by having 3 races over there that are not economically sound. Motogp will never fill the grandstands in the US it is simply a different world, yes potentially lucrative, but if the US was going to buy big in to Motogp they would have done it long ago. There will always be fans but it will never bring in the dollars that Dorna hope.
Dorna have made a few very bad choices down the years that have retarded everything about allowing decent racing to take place, which has directly put the sport where it currently wallows. No doubt it will evolve and improve over years to come as it always had. BUT it is the very worst time to move it to pay-per-view TV. Who would pay? There hasn’t been enough of a spectacle to bother investing hard earned cash to watch the largely dull processions.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Thomas

How many casual viewers has Rossi brought to the sport that became core fans?

----------------------------------------------------------

Neither of us can answer that I guess, but in my experience none.

I've a few pals who were absolute Rossi fans for years when he was winning aboard the Honda then Yamaha. We'd all watch the races together, a bite to eat, a few beers and some banter. They were then drooling when he went to Ducati, basically looking forward to shutting me up! They stopped watching after the first two rounds, give or take. They emerged again this season, again for the first two rounds,  but have since vanished...........?

I'm in no way knocking ALL of Vales fans, and i'm sure (as attendences/viewing figures show) he has 'helped' the sport to a degree for many, many years. But 'hardcore'? Not in my experience bud.

And again, on a side note...............................Losing 'free' BBC coverage doesn't help the sport imo but time will tell.      

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

And no, i'm 'not bitter' that Casey's gone bud. Dissapointed maybe, but never bitter. I wasn't when Steady Eddie called it a day and i'm not now. 

I'll quietly wait for my next 'hero' to come along.  

Reply to this Topic
DoubtingThomas

Apr 13

Drooling

That's a symptom of idiocy. Thinking Rossi would waltz on to the red bike and win confirms it.

It stands to reason that a popular rider will bring in more people to the sport, and more people who'll remain fans of the sport. It's the way of the world that people like to latch on to winners. That's why Stoner has some fans too. God knows it's not for his cheery persona.

Whatever your complex issues with Rossi are, he puts bums on seats, which is good for the sport.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

rossi to suzuki

is that not a future possibility??

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

Cracking documentary

The Unridables

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/the-unrideables    

Please bring back the 80's and 90s when I wasn't robbed for a ticket at the gate,they allowed me to park mi bike next to mi tent and the food sedllers didn't wear Dick Turpin masks.

AND THE RIDERS WERE MEN

Reply to this Topic
zx6biker

Dec 03

zx6biker says:

Motogp to swell in 2014

It won't matter how many they have on the grid in 2014, with the disgusting way Dorna have treated the UK fans by removing it from the BBC and British Eurosport, there will be very few who will be bribed by the so called free viewing if they join up with their broadband and phone packages or pay £12 per month for SD or £15 per month for HD on Sky channels. Read the small print before you sign up. I'll certainly not be doing so for what are going to be predominately football channels, and I've absolutely no interest in football, just go get 18 rounds of Motogp which lately, have been getting so precitable. I already pay for British Eurosport which gives excellent coverage of Motogp, WSB and BSB, anyway at least I'll have the more exciting WSB until Dorna wreck that as well, and the excellent BSB. Hopefully, greedy Espeleta won't get his hands on that championship.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

DT

That's a symptom of idiocy. Thinking Rossi would waltz on to the red bike and win confirms it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what I kept telling them bud.

@'Noddy'...................Awesome. Makes me wish I still had my 500LC in the garage. Thanks mate :) 

Reply to this Topic
grayzx7r

Aug 02

grayzx7r says:

Favouritism or what

What a load of twisters, this on top of selling out to bt .I for one will not be watching GPs next year

Reply to this Topic
RevNutz

Jan 13

RevNutz says:

Well

You can hardly say Superbikes is where all the privateer teams are going when there are only 18 or so riders in the class and most of them are factory efforts.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices