You are in... Forums > General > General > givi universal rack

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bikesteve

Jun 13

bikesteve says:

givi universal rack

hi purchased a givi e450 top box for my fjr 1300 the dealer MICK BYRNE said fit the universal base plate to your existing rack and the box fits on the plate simple!

i fitted as per instructions went to the coast on sunday coming back hit a bump top box and base plate flew off nearly lost wife off back as she was leaning on box 3-4 bikes behind me had to swerve to miss the box. the mounting bolts had pulled straight through the plastic plate i went back to dealer he would not do anything said i had fitted it wrong and should have had a specific mounting plate .contacted givi explained what had happened but have so far been ignored .so fit a giv iuniversal base plate at your peril if you were one of the bikes that had to swerve i am sorry but i believe it is a manufacturing fault

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 June 2013 15:16)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Givi

Givi is top quality kit.  I have used it for years and it has always fitted the bike well and been rock-solid in use. 

Try approaching the manufacturer direct with a view to sending the plate back to them for inspection.  They may well find a fault with it.  On the subject of the 'universal' fitting I have only used bike-specific Givi mounts so would suggest that, if there is a specific kit for your bike, that would be the better/safer option. You can check on their website as to what is available for your machine.  

Glad that you, the Mrs and the bike are OK :smile 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Hmm

There is no Givi fitting for a busa, so we got the rails made up ourselves.  For my bike, the rails existed, but I had to alter them recently, when buying a new Givi box, as it had a different sized top-plate.

The sentence in your story that bothers me most is "nearly lost wife off back as she was leaning on box".  These boxes are only meant to carry a small load, and are not designed for leaning against.  The extra pressure may have caused the problem.  (If she nearly fell off, then she was certainly relying on it.)

Worth sending back to them though and asking them what has gone wrong.

Reply to this Topic
bikesteve

Jun 13

bikesteve says:

if these boxes are not designed to lean against then why do they make backrest pads to fit them

when i say she was leanng on it i don,t mean she was fast asleep with all her weight aganst it (AT LEAST I HOPE NOT)

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

I think...

I think you'll find that the padded part is only to cushion the pillion in the event of an impact.  The top-box is not designed (nor constructed) as a back rest.

[Don't get me wrong - 30 years ago, I used to sleep against them!]

I know I laughed when I saw the label inside, saying how much it was designed to carry.  My handbag weighs more than that most days.:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
bikesteve

Jun 13

bikesteve says:

have e-mailed givi uk and givi headquarters offering to send them the base plate for inspection but they have not even got the courtesy  to reply

Reply to this Topic
mickbyrne

Dec 05

mickbyrne says:

givi rack...

I know this is a old post but just came across it.. i am Mick Byrne who sold the box.and remember this sale.. 

bikesteve got to say you are a completely full of BS You and you only put you partner and everyone else at risk no one else.. never met anyone so stupid that you would risk putting the box on the bike the way you did and told you so when you came into the shop...The box would of come of the bike whether anyone was on the back or not..  IF I REMEMBER there wasn't a fitting kit for your model as the e450 was a monlock system and you needed a monokey box but you chose the e450 purely at price as you didn't want to spend the extra money on the correct box and fittings kit. so chose to impervise using the universal plate in the  e450 box.. you was advised against this....if you still have the fitting plate take a photo and put it on here and show the world what a plonker  you are...  placing the bolts less than half a inch apart onto your existing plate was never going to work... 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices