Skip to content

Ask an Expert Intermittent brighness from lights. Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Intermittent brighness from lights.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Deacz9

Dec 09

Deacz9 says:

Intermittent brighness from lights.

Have a 97 Xr250. When running and especially during the first mile, the headlight and the 2 front indicators (which are on as running lights as well as working indicators) has random time of a few seconds getting about 50% brighter then back to normal.  The lights run from the battery (which seems ok and always starts the bike) with engine on or off and all connections between seem ok. Could this be problem coming from stator or regulator?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 June 2013 05:18)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

XR250

My XR400 had neither a battery or electric start - although an electric start was available as an after-market add-on.  So I suspect that your bike may have been modified to take these parts; which may make fault finding a bit more of a challenge.  I would start by checking your charging system and the state of your battery - easy enough with a multi-meter. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda XR 250 L ? 1997

Hi Deacz9

I think as MM has  said,the battery is probably suspect,the bike only has a very small battery(YB4 or maybe YT4)if there is the slightest depletion in voltage(could be due to age of the battery?) then the amount of power needed to start the bike would drain the battery quite significantly.This would mean the charging system working longer and harder than it should,the lights start off dime,and get brighter as the battery regains its charge.If it is the battery(should read at least 12.5 volts after the engine has not run for at least 2 hours better left longer if possible?) If reading 12volt or less it will need replacing,or the longer charging time the taken could overload your reg/rec and cause more problems and a bigger repair bill.Good Luck 

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Deacz9

Dec 09

Deacz9 says:

Re, lights

Thanks for replies so far!
I checked the battery, 12.7volts and nearly 14 when running. I seem to think it may have something to do with the running lights (the two front indicators) which are always on when engine running. I don't really need these lights on and the indicators flash ok. I measured the voltage to these (without swiching on indicators and it was 7volts. the indicator flashes at 12 volts which is of course brighter! My wiring diagram I have does not show how they are wired. I only have 2 wires going to the indicators but power comes from somewhere when it is running without switching indicator on. So can anybody tell me how to disconnrct the running (always on )lights but keep my indicator function as just cutting one of the two wires would stop both functions. Is there an extra relay I could just disconnect?

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda XR 250 L ? 1997

Hi again Deacz9

(good to hear the battery is in good order:smileand the charge rate's good,with it being lights on permanently 14volts is good:winkie:)

If you trace the front indicator wires you will find the two wires go into a three wire block,one of these wires is the permanent live(you can find this with your multimeter)you need to cut and cap,or disconnect it from the block and insulate it as it is live(also check the permanent live for a fuse first,it could be as simple as removing that?)Good Luck.

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

running lights

Hi there, if you say it is 'random' than I'd say it's a poor earth. Honda have started to fit the running lights to UK models, starting with the 2013 CBR600RR. The feed in the running light circuit is 5w, but when you select indicators it jumps to 21w, 'painting' over the indicator feed.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Random

Must say that poor earth is what sprung to mind. That said, I know nothing. At all.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices