Skip to content

Discuss This Suzuki keen to understand performance against MotoGP opposition MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Suzuki keen to understand performance against MotoGP opposition

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Suzuki keen to understand performance against MotoGP opposition

Suzuki will get a clear understanding of the size of the task it faces to be a competitive force in MotoGP again when it pitches its new 1000cc MotoGP contender against Honda and Yamaha in Spain next week. Randy de Puniet completed a successful shakedown of the new bike in Japan recently and Suzuki is poised to kick off a series...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 June 2013 13:42)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
WillRTW

May 13

WillRTW says:

Hmmmmmm....

I don't think it is quite that stark in bike racing for most of these guys PC... although ultimately they do have a shelf life and need to accrue enough dosh for their future... as we all do in life. 

I am not a great fan of Dovi to be honest, but I do not think he went to Ducati just chasing the buck. It may have influenced the decision, but a lot of other factors I am sure came into the equation, and most of them probably pretty honourable. 

These are elite athletes, incrdibally highly skilled, able to make lightning fast decisions and able to overcome their own natural instincts that are screaming at them to do the complete opposite of what is best for their own safety... and yes, they also have to work to earn money for theirs and their families future, as we all do, but I do think the gladiators in the bike racing arena are a little more honourable than in most sports.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

I wonder what it will sound like. It's an inline4, and as far as i know Yamaha has patented the crosplane configuration. So it has to be a screamer? I was at the Assen WSBK round, and i have heard traction control on inline4 Kawasaki's, Honda's and older Beemers before. But this years Beemer sounds like it shuts off 1 cilinder totally on acceleration. Verry strange sound, and nothing like the traction control starting to work, like on the Honda or Kawa. You Brits might hear this too at the British Wsbk round? If the test results are good, then get Scott on that bike please!

Reply to this Topic
Jason Hall

Aug 02

Jason Hall says:

Traction control etc

Burnicle and Whitham have said that the BMW Superbike goes onto two cylinders whenever traction is an issue.

As for Yamaha patenting crank arrangements - I don't think you can patent things like that. Plus Kawasaki's last GP bike - an inline four -  had a growler engine in any case.

It always baffled me as to why Suzuki messed around with a V4 GP bike when all their Superbikes were inline fours. It would have been better marketing for them to have gone for inline fours and that is where their expertise lay.

Having said that - there wasn't much wrong with their V4. As Paul Denning himself pointed out once - Bautista is going no better on a works Honda - if anything he's sightly worse.

Reply to this Topic
WillRTW

May 13

WillRTW says:

Everything is relative....

Bautista is not doing justice to the semi factory RCV he is currently riding.... so what does that say about the Suzuki when he was riding it... that it was probably not a bad bike at all at that time... however, time and Motorsport wait for no gutless manufacturer and the upcoming public run out against the competition will be the litmus test... and there will be so much interest in it, from journo's, tech geeks, race fans and at least half a dozen very "good" riders who may want to put their name on it if there is the remotest chance of potential in it.

Reply to this Topic
glm7354

Mar 13

glm7354 says:

Don't forget that Gresini bike has Showa suspesion & Nissin brakes (Honda owner) and they try to develop this things for the top category.It's not easy to do that because you start from zero with no data.

But, at the other hand Nakamato said in an interview that Bautista need to change his 250's style ride to suit to  the RCV. Brandl too.

Most Bautista fall is from the front, like Brandl and first year Stoner.They push too much the frontand lost it.

If he change that he could fight for the pondium.He and Showa found solutions this yea that works.

b

Reply to this Topic
AussieInSUI

Mar 13

AussieInSUI says:

Exposure...

Suzuki are in it for the exposure. They will race against the satellite teams and maybe for a portion of a season some time in the future they may dominate. Pigs can fly too...

Judging by the sales figures though Suzuki perhaps thinks that the future as far as promoting their brand is with motogp. I say this because they have experienced a decline in sales but far less as a percentage than Yamaha and especially Honda. The decline in Honda sales is worrying for some and great news to others.

The real bad news for motogp (in my view) is the corporate bottom line mentality which is, the end justifies the means. In other words any behaviour is acceptable if it means goals can be reached, or exceeded. And that creates a lot of damage which is of course kept out of the media.

Electronics have virtualy ruined any chance of satellite teams winning races. Prove me wrong CAL !!!

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

If Suzuki are allowed back as a full factory team I have no doubt the bike will be there or there abouts. The bike was fine before they pulled out and it wouldn’t have been too unrealistic for it to regularly have finished top 5 with other riders. Bautista simply crashed too much on it to get the results it could have achieved. They have a decent pedigree in the class but will have some ground to make up but I reckon the bike will be already better than CRT. I’d probably try and get Aleix Espargaro and Scott Redding if I were Suzuki.

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

The old v4 wasn't really that bad, with Hopkins & vermuelen was on the pae & podiums in 07 & 08 then capirossi & Bautista didn't do so good & the bikes development fell off a cliff plus using either hitachi or Mitsubishi electronics instead of marrelli that's why the bike was lacking

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Suzi Q

I'd like to see them succeed but it's going to be difficult for them in the first few years at least. I tend to agree with Will and Blue in that the final incarnation of the GSV-R was a tidy little bike, albeit with less poke than the top bikes. I think they should have begun their MotoGP 4 stroke journey with an inline 4, as that's what they are good at building. Honda had great expertise in making a V type four stroke so that's the road they went.

I hope they can get a rider that will give the crew meaningful feedback so that they can get near the top quickly. With that in mind, I'd steer well clear of Bautista, the guy has raw speed, but he's a bell-end and quite frankly a bit of a dopey c@nt, reminds me of Xaus, fast but stupid.

Reply to this Topic
AussieInSUI

Mar 13

AussieInSUI says:

Rational analysis...

'Suzuki are 'in it' to develop electronic software'.

Specify. To develop software for road bikes? Of course if you are referring to development of motogp bikes then it's not worth a responce. BMW did a wonderful job developing electronics etc without competing in motoGP. It is not a prerequisite to compete in motogp to develop solid road bikes. Indeed most of the testing is done in house on private tracks anyway. Furthermore the electronics and software present in road bikes is different to that in motogp. Which is why BMW did not need to compete in the past in motogp.

So why has BMW joined motogp? Well they have joined, but not with a full factory bike designed to compete in the future with Honda and Yamaha. BMW has come in to sell their brand name. Exposure is vital for any large corporation. Creating a perception of dedication to producing top knotch bikes is hugely important. Especialy to those who are a little naive. And who knows, maybe BMW will have a race winning bike some time in the future too. Wouldn't that be great!

I think if you are going to make a point do so using rational analysis rather than anger and attempting to intimidate. But I fully aknowledge that if that is the way your brain is wired then there is probably not much you can do to prevent this from happening. And I think it would be unfair of me to exploit this trait in your character. So having made the point, rationaly, I'll leave it there.

The greatest impediment to discovery is not ignorance but rather the illusion of knowledge. Not my words but something I try to live by. I'll admit that I am not allways right but I am more than willing to listen to another, rational view point.

Kind regards...   your lordship. ( a little joke. You can take it as well as giving it out, yes?)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices