Skip to content

Discuss This New Yamaha MT-09 850cc triple breaks cover New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Yamaha MT-09 850cc triple breaks cover

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Rich Newland  says:

New Yamaha MT-09 850cc triple breaks cover

An all-new 850cc street-focused triple for just £6799? Meet the future of Yamaha… Yamaha have released details of one of their most important new bikes in decades, the MT-09. It’s an all-new naked middleweight designed specifically for the European market with a brand-new 850cc transverse three-cylinder engine, upright riding position, distinctive styling – and a hugely attractive price tag of just...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 June 2013 15:16)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Tank sizes

Seem to be getting smaller. I can't imagine this being a massively efficient bike so really 14 litres could end up being an utter piss take. It's a Striple rip off, quite clearly.

Reply to this Topic
lukejr1

May 12

lukejr1 says:

I like Yamaha, but......

It looks like something a Chinese manufacturer made. Did Yamaha hire WK to design this?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Well...

I Welcome any new Bike from Japan...they have done us proud over the years and long may it continue.

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

Yammy 850

The motor looks a bit like the Honda NC700s', so maybe it's frugal as well and only needs the 14 ltr tank!

Reply to this Topic
magpiemale

May 06

magpiemale says:

what else ?

It's nice to seek Yamaha produce new stuff but where is the fazer 1000 update ? I cannot see the point of naked bikes I have rode one, but still cannot see the appeal. Where is an upright bike like a Honda vfr bike but under slung exhaust this bike just reminds me of a divvy 600 in appearance.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

strangely ugly

I like triples but the trumpets seem top heavy. I was wanting to like this but.... man is it ugly!

Reply to this Topic
sovrec

Sep 11

sovrec says:

It's a Yamaha...

...but hats off to the tuning fork clan for coming up with something original...a triple...errr...oh yes forgot about Triumph and MV...ok so they're having a dig at the 800+ ('new middleweight') sector with what promises to be a good motor - no doubt a 675 and 1000+ size will emerge to take on Triumph et al. Styling wise i think it's a mish mash of old hat - it doesn't quite know what it is : sports, tourer, adventure..maybe all three ? What would be good is Yamaha taking a Honda line (as the big H did with the NC and CB500 range) and provide various set up options. It's obviously the start of something big and something different, but you can't get rid of the feeling that the MT-09 looks as though it hasn't quite been finished off...

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I thought everything sounded great about this bike until I saw the 14l tank size. Hope its not too late to do something about it before it goes into production. On that point alone, i wouldn't buy this bike as its simply not big enough and I don't care how efficient it is. 19 or 20 litres minimum IMO!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I'd say

it might do 50mpg at the outside. More than that I'd be amazed. Remember the NC700 produces less than half the power.

On this class of bike 17 litres surely is the minimum. Only very efficient bikes (mostly singles) can get away with smaller, really.

Reply to this Topic
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

Interesting but ugly as sin!

Don't like the muddy orange paint but the black and purple look ok. It's also crying out for a headlight/bikini fairing to balance the looks a bit too IMO.

As mentioned, tank's a bit small but weight's very good too at 188kg wet so may well be very economical and just about get away with it.

It is a bit ugly but it's got character for it oddly IMO. I'm certainly not lusting after it but the price is very competitive so hopefully it'll do well. I live opposite a main Yamaha dealer so will definitely drop in and check it out in the metal/flesh.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices