Skip to content

Discuss This New Yamaha MT-09 850cc triple breaks cover New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Yamaha MT-09 850cc triple breaks cover

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Rich Newland  says:

New Yamaha MT-09 850cc triple breaks cover

An all-new 850cc street-focused triple for just £6799? Meet the future of Yamaha… Yamaha have released details of one of their most important new bikes in decades, the MT-09. It’s an all-new naked middleweight designed specifically for the European market with a brand-new 850cc transverse three-cylinder engine, upright riding position, distinctive styling – and a hugely attractive price tag of just...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 June 2013 15:16)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

I think it might be a grower.

I posted previously it was ugly but interesting. I stand by that but it's growing on me.

I've seen lots of different pics and there seems some variation in the little details such as the grey frame being black in some cases and it definitely looks better for it even though it's relatively minor. All black with blue wheels looks pretty cool.

I haven't changed my mind on the front though, definitely needs a fly screen on top of that light to hide the cluttered & messy looking speedo area IMO.

Fly screen, ultra low renthals, tail tidy & an underslung Akro & it'd be pretty cool I reckon.

Reply to this Topic
Hogi1

Jan 12

Hogi1 says:

frugaltails says "wow, I was worried about getting a new street with yamaha waiting in the wings.... at least I can relax now because this looks shit.." +1.

Unappealing design, limited tank range and dull colours - a blue thats black, tarmac grey and Orange?? I've never understood Orange instead of RED!!!

I'm a Yamfan and have one of their best products - FZS 1000 - I realise Yam has financial problems but this isn't the bike to help make their fortune in UK. Might be good in other markets but why would you pick this and not the Street Triple? Sorry this brings nothing new to the UK market and reckon it wsn't designed to.

Reply to this Topic
triplehelix

May 13

triplehelix says:

Rust?

@plumber01

I have A yamaha bike that has now seen 3 winters, and my care for it in terms of anti corrosion products is essentially nonexistent. No rust other than on the manifold exhaust bit, and that's a tiny bit of surface rust, which all exhausts get.

Reply to this Topic
NoddieGee

Jan 13

NoddieGee says:

Not Sure Yet!

Need to see it in the flesh to judge properly but hey at least, this time Yam's kept the price real. As for the rear indicators ... I think they may have been stuck on as an afterthought!!!

Reply to this Topic
robk321

Jun 11

robk321 says:

poor

Ive just read in MCN 48 mpg and a 14 litre tank!!!

I just switched off after that.

For many motorcycling is becoming an ever increasingly expensive hobby. Honda and BMW are on to this Yamaha have seriously missed the boat here with a brand new engine, and Triumph have got work to do too.

COME ON MANUFACTURERS !! Its time for performance and 60-70mpg!

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

no looker

Well, I don't know what to make of this.They went on about Dark whatever as if what was coming was going to be special.At least the price is right and probably the only thing going for it.

Reply to this Topic
Toecutter71

Jun 10

Toecutter71 says:

Mt-09 is big but excelent step for Yamaha

I think that is extremly important bike for Yamaha for two reason first is Three cylinder engine whit 850ccm i can bet he will give to new owners nice punch of power especially on so light bike (only bike which was so light was ex Suzuki GSR600 almost the sam wet weight under 200kg) and second thing is price, which is more then fair ...about look yes maybe rear end and tail can be little bit atractive and agresive maner designed , but How nice is make solution for  central part of bike "all way down to exhaust"position for seating is like extremly comphy  and  when i look in overall geometry of bike, i think that he willingly   give hell of the ride, in all condition ..To me is almost perfect street bike, like i said, maybe that rear end must be more" finished" llike at Yamaha did not have enough patience to finish designing the tail and back of the bike (and all too much desire to play as soon as the market) But they should not be a problem for Yamaha for a year or two to do a little remake . I think this MT-09 can become one of the best sellers, no matter what others think,  Kawasaki( which again by my opinion is make wonder , that in short time they was completly refresh their motorcicle fleet from American market custom bikes, to the very nice in some case exelent and real beauty of bikes for EU market) and Honda(which isnt sucssed in same attempt at all, disaster was start whit new VFR1200(which is briliant technical piece of machinery but ugly and but without the charisma and character are trying to return to some traditional recipes such as the Honda CBR500 gama appearance in three variants, Kawasaki introduced the Ninja 300, which was by mine humble opinion must  have  significantly stronger engine and all others performance much near to old one Fantastic Four (Kawasaki RX250, Suzuki RGV250,and rest of wild bunch), on the other hand is somewhat regained consciousness Yamaha error with FZ8 .. that should was be analog of Kawasaki Z800, etc. .. And I think the MT-09 on the way to eat on the road Z800 and FZ8 ... I wait to see if there any hope that Suzuki wakes up and begins to us represents a new bikes from all category from realy new Bandit, to really new Sport Naked (not that copy paste of kawasaki Z750 in shape of GSR750)O.K we all aspect to se in flash new one V-Strom 1200 which belongs to high end nishe of enduro touring bike..from pictures isnt so preaty...but maybe they make real good bike just if do not go by Honda steps which was make big  Enduro-Tourer with weight  near to 300kg, i'ts joke which i'clearly  do not undestand .Honda clearly  failed in an attempt to follow Kawasaki in to rebuild almost the entire motorcycle fleet, and to do so by constructing a completely new model, not cheap plastic sheeting and facelift of headlights while motorcycles in it must still preserve and have the distinctive character of a Honda Motorcycle. CO.LTD , ruin began more than their design ideas on the appearance of a naked 1000ccm means Honda CBR1000 (and the new hornet is no better off for the same reason a catastrophic motorcycle design, hardly ever there was such a discrepancy between engineering brilliance and design  What kind of motorcycles appeared in Honda over the past 5 years, the collapse continued with long forged VFR1200, which is that as an engineering gem but so impersonal and clear whitout any characters look as if someone had deliberately wanted to achieve at the end of this series of overweight and X Crosstourer road motorcycles which are as impersonal .. currently the most beautiful Honda motorcycles (with the exception of CBR RR class and custom big bore bikes for USA market) is Honda CBF1300S

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
sandmacker

Oct 10

sandmacker says:

850 triple TRX??

An interesting MC . So long as that 14 ltr tank will get 200 k's to the tank when it's pushed hard , it's ok . I'm a little disappointed in the suspension set up . In todays wizz bang electro suspension wizardry , I would of been happy to accept the suspension with a manually adjustable rebound , compression and damping . In that it has let down what could of been a real winner here. I don't really care so much to the electronic modes , but as an aggressive naked bike , we do like to tweak our settings to suit our style of riding . Yamaha have the TDM , and the 800FZ , both respected bikes . What will make me decide to buy this bike over them ? Looks though it will be a fun ride though . When you compare it against the 750 Suzuki , the 800 Kawasaki , and the 800VFR crossrunner , I think Yamaha have a winner here , especially if those forks and that rear shock were fully adjustable , and maybe a couple of extra litres of juice in the tank . I can't see me trading my TDM in for it atm

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

MT-09..... Not for me

On a positive note i've tried and tried to like the bike.

Unfortunatey, i can't and YES i see what Yamaha are trying to do, go back to it's roots of designing & building outside of the box, i.e be different.

Trouble is, for me personally, the bike just looks a mess, that tank, the frame irritates me and the seat, with the hideous black steel sub frame showing, jeez, too much going on for the eye to take in, nothing seems to gel in the finished look....Bloody frustrating, because i know Yamaha can do better and for £7k, i want a bike to ride good and look good.

Nah, sorry, but, compared to a street triple, Mv Brutale and even Yam's own TDM 900 , it's not for me.

Yamaha needs to take the TDM900 tweak it ie sharper fairing, USD forks, rad cals, BIG fat rear tyre, single sided swingarm.......

Look at the KTM Super Duke 1190, not much too see but it looks great...CLEAN DESIGN.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

I like it (if they keep it light)

Three cylinder TDM with a crossplain crank,115 bhp,bet it will be a wheeze to ride,gets my vote,only thing i would like is a substantial top fairing so i can use the top end without buffeting. :-)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices