Skip to content

Discuss This New Yamaha MT-09 850cc triple breaks cover New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Yamaha MT-09 850cc triple breaks cover

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Rich Newland  says:

New Yamaha MT-09 850cc triple breaks cover

An all-new 850cc street-focused triple for just £6799? Meet the future of Yamaha… Yamaha have released details of one of their most important new bikes in decades, the MT-09. It’s an all-new naked middleweight designed specifically for the European market with a brand-new 850cc transverse three-cylinder engine, upright riding position, distinctive styling – and a hugely attractive price tag of just...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 312 days ago (11 June 2013 15:16)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stobes

Oct 03

stobes says:

MT-09 - Yamahas loss of sales

Like most manufacturers now, Yamaha are reeling from a downturn in sales - The economy being partly to blame, but also the manufacturers must also share a burden of this responsibility with the price of their bikes and more so with the cost of their spares - It really is a complete mickey-take of the motorcycling fraternity with the prices they charge.Wheteher the new MT-09 will be any good, we'll have to wait & see.....but again, pricing will be a very major factor in success.

I, for one, will not buy new until the manufacturers stop trying to charge the stupid prices they want now - jeez, for example - for the price of a new Trophy or FJ1300/GTR1400/Pan Euro et al,  you can pick up a good low mileage premium brand car....this contains a darn sight more material in it's construction & has agruably more tecnology installed in it.

I'd still prefer the bikes, but will buy secondhand, not new.

Reply to this Topic
easytargets

Jul 09

easytargets says:

niche models

Good move Yamaha, I hope it's successful. I have owned an XS850 and a TDM850; both gave great ownership experiences, the R1 not so much, for a large sector of the biking public the 2 main catagories hyper sports and uber cruisers aren't where its at. Diversity rocks.

Reply to this Topic
CountryLad

Feb 13

CountryLad says:

Swamp Thing?

On first glance a reasonable looking bike with no doubt a great engine. Then look at little closer and ARRGHH!... What have they done with the frame?! Looks like it's been grown from the tendrils of the Swamp Thing... Bizarre... What ever will they come up with next? First Street Triple alien eyes, then Frankenstein Z800, now this! Eat your heart out HP Lovecraft.

Reply to this Topic
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

U.S Version

Check out the U.S version, called the FZ 09 or something like that. Colours are better, especially the red one which has a black frame and some coloured rear bodywork which looks pretty good. Our colours are rancid, especially that orange. Not sure why they just didn't do the same globally to keep cost down instead of creating some really dull and horrible UK options. Name's better in the states too although the reflectors and indicators aren't nice on the US version. I'm more interested in the idea of a TRX 850 type version of this bike. Now that I would consider but not this unfortunately.

Reply to this Topic
moto4

Oct 12

moto4 says:

hard to tell

in pics on it's own but, to me, looks kinda like an adventure bike in stance?

Reply to this Topic
davelebarr

Jun 12

davelebarr says:

Tank Size

So what if it's only 14 litres. Waken up guys this ain't no tourer. I see it as the perfect replacement for my old TDR250. Not been this excited about a new bike for decades. Not sure how you can all slag it off without even having seen it let alone ridden it. My current MT-01 takes a similar pounding from 'experts'. All I can say is I've had bikes for over 32 years and the MT-01 has been the longest keeper. Makes me grin every ride. Yamaha are correct; hyper speeds are out of the question nowadays if you need your licence to live. Give me light weight (so no huge tank please), handling, low down stomp, a great engine feel/sound and a big frame and commanding supermoto riding position for my 6 foot frame. I'm feeling this new model ticks all these boxes. And yes I plan to keep the MT-01 and if financially possible get an MT-09 too.

Reply to this Topic
exceledsteve

Apr 10

exceledsteve says:

Fair play

to Yamaha for bringing this to market at a reasonable price. Give us a TDM version of this at this money with its associated practicalities and they'll sell themselves. Put me down for the first one.

Reply to this Topic
rudemugs

Mar 10

rudemugs says:

Does MT stand for 'Munter'?

I'm sure it will make a great road bike, but it's so generic Japanese naked in styling, it's painful. Headlight looks like someone's removed the fairing, frame is ugly as sin and plastics and tank completely uninspired. Yamaha really need some Eurpoeans (preferably Italians) in their styling department. I couldn't spend my cash on something I'd detest looking at. Hope the faired versions look better!

Reply to this Topic
MotorcycleExtremist

May 13

The red version looks a bit better for the US, but the grey/graphite version is far far better for Europe! How can anyone in their right mind think that mixing a grey colored body with gold colored fork stanchions, and then for some ungodly reason slapping on a pair of freaking "blue" colored rims is a good idea? It looks absolutely horrendous! Asian color matching challenged anyone? Gold forks on a bike not otherwise color matched is as ugly as sin to begin with, but mixing that up with grey and blue is beyond all sense of visual appeal, quite the contrary, it's plain revolting! Beyond that the "micro" gas tank is a huge mistake, no center-stand option, and not even offering the "option" of ABS in the States is unforgivable!

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Where is.....

the 1100cc superbike triple?(i honestly don't mind who makes it)

that perhaps might wear the number 46!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle