Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha's new MT-09 850cc triple - love it or hate it? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Yamaha's new MT-09 850cc triple - love it or hate it?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Yamaha's new MT-09 850cc triple - love it or hate it?

Yamaha's new long-promised triple 850cc machine has finally broken cover, and its looks are sure to be as controversial as its powerplant. What's your take on it? Already pre-ordered one or do you detest it?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 June 2013 16:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Useless

On the basis that I use my two wheeler for transport this new Yamaha does absolutely nothing for me at all.

Totally impractical with very poor range.

Another one for the weekend warriors and urban poseurs.

Reply to this Topic
sizzler

May 06

sizzler says:

mt09

Looking at the pics it does look nice and yamaha could be right, the days of 1 ltr superbikes are numbered on uk roads with the police and standard of road repairs these days. If they make accessories with reasonsble prices and dont go down the path of bmw with extortantionable prices then it will be a winner. It looks less bitty than the triumph tiger also which is good. I ride ablade and in time would possibly swop to the mt09 just for sheer practicality... Its european bike and makes sense, used to ride the old szr660 which made no sense but drew you in , the mt09 makes sense if its got the passion to draw us in the I reckon your onto something good. Well done yamaha.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

rlf3

Yup... got to agree... & if it's as reliable as the MT-03 it'll be in the shop as much as it's on the road.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Can barely notice it

What committee mashed that together, and what was their remit? An ultra modern yet timeless no compromises forgiving raw refined streetfighter supermoto adventure sports commuter?

The price isn't bad, mind, so I guess the committee was chaired by an accountant.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Ho hum Yamaha Ho hum

all that time effort, hype and expection and thats the Best you can do? Really?

Reply to this Topic
51moto

Jul 07

51moto says:

There must be a viable market for these bikes for them to be produced but I don't know anyone who has bought or would buy one. It looks like a head on competitor for the likes of Honda's well fugly Crossrunner, and better looking (although in silhouette from the side there's a resemblance). I'm not sure if it's to do with my advancing years but I think many recent and current bike designs simply look, well...erm...odd!!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Neither of the above!

Apart from the aforesaid tiny tank, I think it looks a bit minimalist on the back end. Where are the passenger grab handles and is there enough bracketry to bolt luggage on? It wins on sensible power, price and weight, but its not finished, and that will probably raise the price and weight! I like the tucked in exhaust though.

Reply to this Topic
pikfee

Dec 09

pikfee says:

Is this the "JAPAN DARKSIDE"

115horses and 188kilo's??? You gotta be kidding..

Try something like 188 horses with 115 kilo's , that only uses half a gallon fuel on 100miles..with the same price

This will impress me... and I will buy 2 of those..

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

I dont

hate it, but if it was a cup of tea I wouldn't dunk my biscuit in it.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

It's sad to see Japan fall so quickly...

There was a time when Japanese bikes where king.  then the Euro revolution started, at first by BMW and then Ducati, Aprilia and others and now even the latest Japanese bikes look dated, low in power, and certainly low in technology.  They think it's still 1999. 

Hello Japan, open up that vast purse pocket of yours and invest money on real design talent and cutting edge engineering if you want to enter the 21st Century.

Yamaha sells 7,000,000 bikes a year. That's 7 million.  Ducati sells 44,000.  BMW 106,000.  One would think Yamaha could afford to be interesting.  Seems like the bean counters have taken over at the Japanese factories.  Kawa is the only one who seems to be aggressive. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices