Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha's new MT-09 850cc triple - love it or hate it? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Yamaha's new MT-09 850cc triple - love it or hate it?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Yamaha's new MT-09 850cc triple - love it or hate it?

Yamaha's new long-promised triple 850cc machine has finally broken cover, and its looks are sure to be as controversial as its powerplant. What's your take on it? Already pre-ordered one or do you detest it?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 314 days ago (11 June 2013 16:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Shiva......

So..... Yamaha sell 7000000 (Seven Million) Bikes and BMW sell 106000 (one hundred and six thousand) bikes....! How do you come to your Headline........"It's sad to see Japan fall so quickly". Do you have the sales figures for Honda,Suzuki and Kawasaki? As for the Bike....I neither Love it or Hate it...reckon I'll reserve Judgement until I see it in the flesh.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Most of those sales are chicken chasers though

And their bigger bikes are (mostly) just playing around within already established boundaries and categories. It's like they're saying "Eh, that'll do," and settling down to run out the clock on the internal combustion engine.

Reply to this Topic
exceledsteve

Apr 10

exceledsteve says:

Want to

love it but it doesn't deserve such strong affection... Doesn't deserve to be hated either. And therein lies its problem. It's just another bike in the newly(ish) emerging upper middle class. It has some good bits.. Triple engine with nice power.. Probably, some nice detail touches, attractive price, and it has some bad bits.. Tiny tank, tiny back end for tiny pillions/loads and hum drum styling only on a par with rivals. Yamaha used to be an innovative producer of bikes but they've missed a trick with what should be a very important model for them in today's biking environment. I've been waiting for a long time for a modern, more practical FZX or Updated TDM. I'll have to keep waiting by the looks of it.

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

love it

I like the styling and the spec, I bet the engine is a peach and I will buy one for sure, it has nice light weight and good seating position and the right amount of power, I cant wait.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

"their bigger bikes...

are (mostly) playing around within already established boundaries and categories"......Hmmm, reckon the Japanese have created most of the Boundaries and categories for the past 50 years including the "chicken Chasers" that we all learnt to ride on.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Snev

Hi, I should have explained further.  Here it is.

Honda motorcycles is the biggest daddy of them all with about 15 million units sold worldwide.  Yamaha is at around 7 mil worldwide.  But almost all of these bikes are cheap, small cc bikes (scoots and mopeds) sold in Southeast Asia.  We are talking bottom feeders. 

Their high style, large cc models don't sell in massive quantities.  For example Honda in the US could potentially sell about 150,000 units.  That's all.  I haven't seen their latest numbers for the US, so it's a guesstimate. 

So, numbers don't mean quality.  McDonalds sells a lot of burgers too, doesn't mean sh*t.  In many cases volume is not an indicative of quality or specialty.   It's often means, cheap and low end. 

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ SHIVA

Sales of motorcycles in the US indicate little except that it is a screwy market - after all, the heavyweight motorcycle market is dominated by a brand that sells on the basis of having a cult following and/or reinforcing a false self-image, and not on technology, value, performance, reliability, etc.  But at least Honda is finally marketing newly introduced models to potential new motorcycle riders, rather than fighting for sales among the rapidly aging biker (US meaning) crowd.

Reply to this Topic
HIVIS

Jun 13

HIVIS says:

What's new?

There is very little new here.Where's the inovation? Now if the engine was a narrow angle V3 along the lines of half a VW VR6 engine, the narrow angle V config allowing the cylinders to be packaged closer together making a lighter narrower engine then I would be very impressed. 

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Shiva

McDonalds, have 34000 restaurants in 119 countries they sell to 68000000 customers each day and employ 1700000 people.... yep...... "doesn't mean shit"..................

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Snev

Always suspected your 'tastes' would include Mcdonalds munching!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle