Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha's new MT-09 850cc triple - love it or hate it? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Yamaha's new MT-09 850cc triple - love it or hate it?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Yamaha's new MT-09 850cc triple - love it or hate it?

Yamaha's new long-promised triple 850cc machine has finally broken cover, and its looks are sure to be as controversial as its powerplant. What's your take on it? Already pre-ordered one or do you detest it?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 314 days ago (11 June 2013 16:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

domster

I like rugs

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

piglet and snev

MacDonalds maybe everywhere, but it's not food.  it will bring poor health, makes you fat and causes diabetes.  so, they may have the volume, but they don't mean sh't in a sense that they sell you "pretend" food.  volume is never an indicative of quality. 

however, there are exceptions to every rule.  Samsung right now has both the volume and quality on smartphones.

Re US market.  Yes, it's 50% cruisers.   and about 40% all Harley's right now.  I didn't get to see the 2012 full report on US motorcycle sales, so my info is 2 years old now. 

Before the 2008 market melt down, we were selling near 1 million two wheel vehicles in the US.  that includes all two wheels, dirt bikes and scooters.

After the crash the market contracted by 50% and total sales reached about 450,000.  That was a huge sales crash.

It eventually forced Suzuki US to restructure.  Honda went from selling 250,000 bikes in the US to about 70,000.   Harley went from 260,000 to about 140,000.  However, Euro brands since they are such small players weren't really impacted by this.  For example BMW in the US went from 10,000 units to about 9,000.  Ducati remained the same at around 6 or 7K or so.  Both BMW and Ducati have had stellar years since but they are only marginally higher now. 

Due to this massive meltdown, Harley that used to own 26% of the market end up owning 40%, because all the big players lost so much market share.

The dirt bike market is badly hurt and may not have a future in the US. The sportbike market is a fraction of what it used to be here. There was a time, where Suzuki would sell 10,000 Hayabusa's alone in the US, those days are gone. 

Touring and Enduro markets both seem to be doing good.  Although they are a small segment.

Scooters have been on a rise as well. 

But, the type of volume that Honda, Yamaha do in Southeast Asia with their tiny cc, cheap bikes can't be duplicated in the West.  The West is the market for more premium bikes.

RacingShiva.com

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Shiva

Your Knowledge of your particular profession is beyond question , it's just ...sometimes you come over so biased towards BMW that you seem to dismiss all other manufacturers....... as you did in your previous post. Your comments re McDonalds could be argued in Court ,I fear.... not to mention the 1.7 million workers who make their income from them. or, the 68 million daily customers that call it Food.

Reply to this Topic
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

This bike is shite it moves nothing on ,with a blandness only the japs can manage,very poor.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

snev

give me an example of my BMW bias in my statement?

again, you are confusing product with volume.  McD is not food, it's pretend food.  That's what they sell. 

how about we start an industry of beating old ladies on the street and stealing their hand bags.  you can then argue that this industry hires XXXX number of people and produces XXXX in stolen lute revenue. 

Don't BS me.  :)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

oh dear

Plot lost ...I fear.......

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

i found a "plot" the other day

sitting in the corner looking lonely, does anyone know who it belongs too?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Ermmmm

Would it be ....KFC....?

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

MT-09

Looks like a decent new bike to me but I'll reserve my judgement until I see it for real. Here's hoping they sell plenty.....

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

tdm variant

surely they will use this as a platform for a tdm version, that would be the sort of bike i like, practical yet fun

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle