Skip to content

Discuss This How often do you check your tyre pressures? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > How often do you check your tyre pressures?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

How often do you check your tyre pressures?

Tyre pressures - supposed to be checked regularly... But do we? How often do you check how much air you've got in yours?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 June 2013 16:51)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Tyre pressures

I check them every time I ride - I have tyre pressure monitors fitted to my 1200RT :biggrin:

On the Fazer I check them every month or so as they tend not to change much. 

Reply to this Topic
kgb333

Apr 09

kgb333 says:

Learn your bike

I do mine once a weeks if riding all the time, but with the magnificent start to summer I tend to be doing it before a ride since this is tending to be not once a week currently (dammit) Having said that I have come to learn my bikes pressures really don't change much but my wife's 650GS does, I think this is simply the fact it has laced wheels and not cast alloy like mine

Reply to this Topic
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

Anyone else get that annoying catch 22?  Try to connect the guage, but as its at an awkward angle what with the brake discs and spokes you let loads of air out trying to get a good seal.  Get a low reading.  Pump up the tyre.  Try to connect the guage, but as its at an awkward angle..........

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Only if

Only check them if they look flat.

So that's pretty much not ever.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Aye

every week if i'm riding a lot, or if it's been a while.....Nah, that'll be every week then  :winkie:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Not that often

Certainly not every trip...then again I make many trips every day so doing that would soon become a chore....What is 12 x 365days x 35 years.....? You can tell when they are getting low it's a seat of the pants thing....IMHO.

Reply to this Topic
robertotoole

Feb 13

robertotoole says:

Check as often as possible...

...if you have an old bike. My wheel rims have rust inside, which means they are always losing pressure. On two occasions I have had sudden deflation. Once the pressure reaches a low point, the tyre loses air fast. Low pressure will also cause rapid wear. On a ride back from France, Toulouse to Oxford in a day, I got half way through Dorset and noticed a big chunk of tread had come off the front tyre, exposing the carcass (Metzeler Tourance). The pressure had been low, the tyre had over-heated.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

I have TPM

My bike has TPM, or tire pressure monitor.  So I see my pressure, both front and rear on the dash.  The bike is a K1300S by BMW.

Reply to this Topic
MesserN

Apr 13

MesserN says:

Watch it!

Check your tyre pressure at least once a week. Tyres are vital for the bike and pressure is vital for the tyres. Use a standard gauge (ie in a specific petrol station and/or your own handheld gauge) to set the correct pressure while tyres are still cold. Those who have aluminium (angled or not) valves should worry less. Even in case of sealing o-ring failure they will lose air gradually. Those of you who have those common rubber valves be sure to replace them EVERY time you change tyres. A visual inspection now and then is welcomed. Those rubber valves get hard over time and tend to make cracks which lead to sudden pressure loss Be safe

Reply to this Topic
mickra

May 08

mickra says:

Valve caps with

visual display of pressures. Used them for years and only once had a small problem with one letting by due to faulty seal. 10 second check of them before every ride and a proper gauge check every 3-4 weeks. Very reliable and reassuring to use, about 4 quid each and last for the ownership of the bike. Can be transferred to new bike if recommended tyre pressures are the same. Used the same ones for my last 3 bikes. Easy. If my tyre pressures are wrong within a few PSI, as Snev says, I can always tell as the steering and handling are noticeably different, especially when pushing on a bit.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices