Skip to content

Discuss This How often do you check your tyre pressures? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > How often do you check your tyre pressures?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

How often do you check your tyre pressures?

Tyre pressures - supposed to be checked regularly... But do we? How often do you check how much air you've got in yours?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 June 2013 16:51)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I was unfortunate enough

to have a crash as a result of a nail in the back tyre which caused a slow puncture. I now check both my tyre pressures and tyres as often as possible.

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

Regularly

I usually check mine every week & I can normally tell if pressure is even a few psi too low.  The tyre squirms, especially under load.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Shiva, is the TPM standard?..

..they should have that facility on all bikes - although I'd be interested to know how accurate it is. Personally, I do it every time I go scratching, makes a huge difference.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

tyres

Am I alone, I never check them, but I can tell when they they loose air, the handling changes, more than a couple of PSI and you just know.

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Pressure's

I kick my tyres before each ride to ensure they don't feel softish but properly check them with gauge every couple of weeks to a month, this method has served me well over the years!

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

For me, once a week seems to be okay. Having had the "pleasure" of a front tyre puncture, 2 up on a Suzuki GT 185 (ask yer dad) at 60 mph back in the day, I do rather like to keep an eye on the condition of my rubber , fnaar fnaar! How the feck we got away with it, I'll never know. Mind you, I've disliked the colour brown since then...is there a connection?

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

I check them about once a week, but I don't use the recommended pressure as they are too high and cause scalloping of the middle tread, and accelerated wear at the centre. Recommended pressures are 38 psi front and 42 psi rear. I use 34 psi front and 38 rear and it seems to handle the bumps better and the wear seems more even across the tyres. Check your tyres often. Low tyre pressure puts unnecessary stress on every part of the drivetrain, from the engine, gearbox, chain and sprockets, and increases fuel consumption as well as extra heat in the wheel area.

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

All I will say is, rarely. I must be lucky with TP's as I can go upto 4 months and the TP will only have dropped between 2 or 3 psi which I can tell when riding anyway which is when I then top them up. It's all down to what people feel comfortable with.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

CHRainmaker

they are very consistent in their measuring.  they are wireless tire pressure monitoring and not tire pressure digital gauge.  so, they typically show 2 PSI lower on the dash than my digital gauge but it's very consistent.  also if the tire pressure falls below by several points you get a warning on the dash.

it's not stock, but it comes on most new BMWs.  the cost of this feature is negligible.  it's like heated grips, I don't think there is a BMW that gets imported to the US without heated grips, or tire pressure monitor.

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

Tyre pressures

I check them when the old Speedie starts running wide in the corners.....

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices