Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Wet weather confidence General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Wet weather confidence

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Wet weather confidence

"I really struggle with confidence when riding in the wet. This didn't used to be a problem because I'd only take the bike out in the dry, but I'm now using my bike to commute on, and every time it rains I'm just waiting for the front end to wash out and dump me on the road. How can I...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 June 2013 16:57)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As already

stated, smoothness is key.

Don't know what bike you have, but if you have a reasonable fairing, ducking behind it slightly can help where water impairs vision (the airflow will blow the rain droplets to the side of your visor, so you can see better). It can be uncomfortable on your back though.

Decent kit is a good idea too; cold and wet saps concentration (never good).

And keep going out in the wet; practice makes perfect after all

Reply to this Topic
f1reblade

Jun 05

f1reblade says:

Smooth out

The guy who ride ride the same as the dry is bang on.... Just brake a tad earlier and use the rear brake too. Pick a line that gives you a slightly less lean angle mid turn, and relax and enjoy. If you dress up warm wet weather riding can be real fun too :-)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

OK....

Anyone who rides the same way in the wet as they do in the dry is either an accident waiting to happen or someone who rides very slowly in the dry. On British roads, we have all manner of life threatening obstacles to contend with many of which are lethal in the wet...... make no mistake about that.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Avoid

Avoid new asphalt pavement, as the volatile portions will bleed to the surface and make it more slippery than snow.

Reply to this Topic
TwoBrosBlade

Aug 02

TwoBrosBlade says:

Do a trackday in the rain

The single best and probably safest way to work out what you can / cant do in the rain. Then just tailor it to the individual surface youre riding on - cause it makes a massive difference. I'll post the next track day i have booked, bound to piss it down, so you'll be able to give it a go. I commute all year and after my wet Cadwell day a good few years ago, my confidence and approach changed and im much happier now. I honestly couldnt care less when it rains these days ive done it so much. Michelin Pilot Road 3 with all the strips also help. I havent found anything better in the wet than those. Last well too.

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

TwoBrosBlade

Spot on- track day was the cure for me as well. You'll be amazed at how much grip there is if you're smooth and considered. Just always be mindful of what's on the road in front of you and allow more space for thinking and reactions.

Reply to this Topic
oily1984

Mar 09

oily1984 says:

If you can't afford a trackday

Hang off the bike more as this reduces lean angle for a given speed therefore reducing the possibility of a crash. Also as a practical exercise find a quite stretch of road and practice using only your throttle going from 20 to 30 and back again smoothly in one action without over or under shooting the desired speed. It takes a while to get right but once you have you will be instinctively smoother with the throttle this will lead to greater confidence in all conditions especially in wet conditions.

Reply to this Topic
yammy2011

Nov 12

yammy2011 says:

tyre choice

get some good quality sports touring tyres (pilot road 3's are great) and just keep it smooth on the power and when tipping in to a corner, you should still be able to ride at a pretty decent pace and you will have great feel with the right tyres fitted.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

tyres tyres tyres

I would guess you may have bridgestone tyres possibly on a Honda, when you look at the very center of the tread, there is no tread ! bollocks! your back tyre spins when your upright as soon as you gas it? then you think if you cant grip when upright what will happen when you go around a corner ....... Well thats what happened to me.   Put some Michelin Pilot 3 's on, guess what its almost impossible to get it to spin even when in heavy rain on crap roads.

Build your confidence by riding in the rain , make sure you have some space and whip open the gas a few times,( ease off as soon as it spins)  feel what its like to get a bit of movement and how hard you actually have to work to loose grip,( more than you think)  also try stamping on the back break , first in a staight line then get it so kick out  a little, and if your brave snatch the front a couple of times, and be ready to ease off . It take a lot to get a skid with good tyres . and when you ride remember just how fast racers can go in the rain, quicker than 90% of people in the dry.!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices