Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Wet weather confidence General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Wet weather confidence

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Wet weather confidence

"I really struggle with confidence when riding in the wet. This didn't used to be a problem because I'd only take the bike out in the dry, but I'm now using my bike to commute on, and every time it rains I'm just waiting for the front end to wash out and dump me on the road. How can I...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 June 2013 16:57)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Mike100rt

Jun 13

Mike100rt says:

Wet

Don't worry it affects everyone. It's the old story Slow into bends accelerating out. Keep doing this and you will get quicker and quicker, and confidence will grow.

Reply to this Topic
DavidHondaCBF

Mar 10

May just be down to practice and like the others said, smoothness and riding well within yourself, leave plenty of margin for error for you and others. Just take it slower and smoother and after a while you'll get used to it and you'll be fine. I was lucky in the sense that I passed my test a few years ago just before a very wet cold winter so I was forced to learn quite fast - but I'm sure it made me a better dry weather rider.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I rode to and passed my test in the tail end of blizzard

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8596090.stm

So my advice is to be more like me.  You're welcome.

Reply to this Topic
Vortex52

Oct 09

Vortex52 says:

Confidence

Be gentle with your movements, don’t do anything abruptly! Release the weight on the front bar and soften your arms, relax! Only break when the bike is upright.
Bike must be respected because when you feel cocky is when you will have a crash….

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

Riding in the Wet

There are some great tips here for riding in the wet, but competence and confidence are different! The only way to boost your confidence is practice, and the best way to do that is when you can practice your wet weather cornering skills without worrying about the other aspects of road riding - traffic, diesel spills, street furniture etc. I did a cornering course on a pouring wet day and it was fantastic - gradually building up confidence as you see what the bike and tyres are capable of. Eventually, once you've had the pegs down in the wet, you realise how much grip the tyres have, and that they are well inside the limit of grip when riding sensibly in the wet. That will give you confidence, confidence will make you more relaxed and being more relaxed will make you smoother. If you can't find a cornering course to do (and weather to oblige!) try finding a straight, well surfaced, quiet piece of road with no fast traffic - maybe an industrial estate or similar - and next time it's really wet, go out and practice cornering. Start with slow S-bends, and gradually build up speed and lean angle as your confidence builds and you see just how good your tyres are.

Reply to this Topic
Typhon219

Oct 11

Typhon219 says:

practice

practice, practice and more practice. and if your front wheel feels vague check suspensions settings/tyres if you can as sports tyres wont do well in the wet

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Voices In Your Head !

If your natural sense of self-preservation and caution is telling you to ride differently in the wet my advice is to listen. You cannot ride in the same way as you do in the dry, everything has to be smoother, gentler and less extreme. Start slowly and DON'T try to find the limit, it will hurt. Confidence will come but you don't want to dent it or your bike by rushing things.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Look further ahead and plot your course to avoid potholes, manhole covers, overbanding etc. As has been stated, smoothness is the key, plus getting out when it's not only proper wet but just damp, because that's often more tricky than a wet road. Loosen up, ride at a pace you're happy with and build your confidence gradually.

With the "summer" we're getting, you should very soon be a master!!!!

Reply to this Topic
js70062

Jan 13

js70062 says:

I asked the exact same question of a police grade 1 rider. His comment was that he rides just the same in the wet as in the dry, the tyres will do it...  so long as you're not being an idiot.

Reply to this Topic
mikepriv

Jun 13

mikepriv says:

Practice

Used to have the same problem until I rode to Assen last year for WSBK, rained all the way there and back. 1100 miles in the wet makes you realise that by slightly changing your riding style to be smoother and focusing on traffic ahead you soon get up to similar speeds as if it was dry. Don't brake harshly or accelerate too fast out of corners and the speed and confidence will come. Agree with others that heavy rain is easier than slightly damp roads especially after long periods of dry weather when a film can appear on the surface. So my advice is to get out in the rain at every opportunity and practice.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices