Skip to content

General Total Loss & V5C General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Total Loss & V5C

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply



Aug 12

Posts: 267

zanderh says:

Total Loss & V5C

Okay, I'm a bit confused by this, so if anyone's got any prior experience or knowledge then please share!

I was involved in a slight bump 8 weeks ago now that ended in my bike being written off (just last week). Now I've been looking at how to apply for a road-tax refund but as I've been reading through the "are you entitled to a refund" section on the refund form it makes note of "you should have filled in the relevant part of the V5C"...

My insurance brokers (JMI) have been incredibly unhelpful throughout the entire claim process so haven't told me squat. If my bike is written off, what do I have to do? I'm guessing I fill in section 9 of my V5C ("Selling or transferring you vehicle to a motor trader, insurer or dismantler" or V5C/3) listing my insurance broker's address (as they have arranged collection), and then that's it with regards to the bike? Or do I have to list another address? Bit!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 June 2013 19:41)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required


Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)


Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 



Aug 11

Posts: 316

mk1rob says:


Best thing to do is ring DVLA and speak to someone. As regards to getting a tax refund you should be able to get one with out using the V5. If you tax your bike/car for 12 months and then take it off the road declaring it sorn after 7 months you should get a refund for the remaining 5 months. Hope that makes sense? Prob just have to send them the tax disc.

Reply to this Topic


Aug 05

Posts: 7563

babyblade41 says:

you need

the tax disc refund form and you can download it from DVLA site, jut fill it out and send the disc back and for each full monthe left you will get a refund

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic


Oct 09

Posts: 10

timmy99 says:

total loss

the car got wrote off in march  within 2 weeks off the accident occured the ins salvage company requested v5 filled v5 in saying they now got car filled in road tax form sent off both same time 3-4 weeks later chq come from dvla the remainder of the tax..

Reply to this Topic


Oct 05

Posts: 3110

you can sorn the bike

on the tax refund form ..... but if you only want to sorn it say if you took it off the road you need the code on the v5 cert

i had a problem last year cause i lost my v5 and wanted to sorn my car ..... just phoned the dvla and it was sorted in minutes 

Reply to this Topic


Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale


It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices