Skip to content

Ask an Expert clutch slip?? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > clutch slip??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

CBR69

Feb 09

CBR69 says:

clutch slip??

Hi,

can anyone help please?

i ride a 2003 954 Fireblade, last week i had what only could be described as clutch slip, i made all the normal adjustments on the cable but to no joy. i had to nurse it for a few days until my parts came in and my trusty mechanic could fit it in, so friday he changed the friction plates, springs and cable and on the test ride found that the bike was doing the same as before?? now hes a very good mechanic, ive been using the same bloke for the last 12 years and hes scratching his head a bit..................ok, all parts on my bikes are original honda parts, never anything else, the last lot of oil i got for the occasional top up was shell advanced R.C.E technology 10-40 for performance bikes and just 27'000 on the clock, ive had the bike for the last 4-5years and shes been well looked after!! 2 weeks ago i got some nice new rubber and break pads and the next day it started with the clutch slip symptoms, dont know if that helps? has anyone had similar probs or even better does anyone know whats wrong?? im heading for day 3 without my bike..........:upset: and am taking a trip round the coast next week so need my pride n joy back!!

please help

Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 June 2013 22:21)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

clutch slip

did he check the plain plates for distortion if they ain't flat clutch will slip. What about the hub and basket any stepping.

Reply to this Topic
CBR69

Feb 09

CBR69 says:

clutch slip

hi Hairybob, this is the problem for me, im a fairly shall we say spirited rider and ride all year round, i never do any more than the normal daily checks on my own bike because of this, i like to know that its all been done properly, hes got the clutch out again and going to look again tmw morning, i just thought that i might get an idea of what could be wrong with my bike, he did mention that there was a bit of blueing although i thought that would be fairly standard for bikes of this pedigree? am i right to think that? or could that be the problem? maybe a bit of warpage due to heat?

watcha think?

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

Like bob says

steel plates probs only one or two could be warped ......it is normally advised if you have blueing to change the steels anyway ..... but i have also had similair before and it was down to the heavy oil film on the friction plates i just kept riding the bike ....then all of a sudden the clutch bedded in properly and it was sorted not had a problem since

ps my steels were blued but i'm a tight bugger and i checked them for warpage and they were fine

..... might be worth re adjusting the cable as manufacturers instructions :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi CBR69

As has been mentioned it is possible that the steel pates have suffered and warped.

It is (for me ) normal practice when replacing friction plates to also change the steels and spring (diaphragm or coils).

As you state that you are a 'spirited' rider I would recommend you change the clutch components to a 'Barnett' type clutch which tend to be more robust.

Get your mechanic to check steels, any with bluing, and a new set should be fitted along with a new spring. Just fitting friction plates is a false economy move.  

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Slip.

"-what only could be described as clutch slip,"

"Two weeks ago I got some nice new rubber ... and the next day it started with the clutch slip symptoms,"

I wonder if it was tyre/wheel spin, not clutch slip?

Reply to this Topic
CBR69

Feb 09

CBR69 says:

clutch slip

Hi all,

thanks for replies, believe it or not James thats what first rang him and said, the first one happened when i was overtaking............put it down to a bit of dirty road, then after a few times i rang and asked why it was happening? then i realised it was the clutch slipping. ok, turns out that the suppliers sent the bloody wrong friction pads, the 954 uses RR friction pads which are thicker and they sent standard ones, which explains why the slip was worse after he put the new ones in...................... scared the s*** out of me, thought my pride n joy was really poorly!! so i should be getting her back tomorrow good as new!! " happy days ":wink:

thanks again for helping!!

" Ride Safe " :sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices