Skip to content

General KTM 990 smt any bad reports ? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > KTM 990 smt any bad reports ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

KTM 990 smt any bad reports ?

I`m getting" fed up" with the Sports bike thing and very seriously considering a total change to the Motard/tourer KTM 990 smt .all I`m reading and hearing is good reports about these bikes BUT I want to know  have you owned one or have a close friend/relative who has and just what was it REALLY like ? on a final note are you considering changing to one like me .Cheers ,

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 June 2013 23:44)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

thought i'd

Love it, but the demo was horrible. Awful fuelling in 3-5 thou rev range made it difficult to ride smoothly in town or slowly. Good on open road when joining, but not for me

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

thought i'd

Love it, but the demo was horrible. Awful fuelling in 3-5 thou rev range made it difficult to ride smoothly in town or slowly. Good on open road when joining, but not for me

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Just chopped in my SMR

which I loved and hated in equal measures, on the plus side..

• Light and chuckable
  • Vibey low down grunt
  • Wheelies
  • Good riding position
  • The sound

Now the bad
  • Snatchy throttle response
  • Wide tank so ya knees get battered/pulled around by the wind at motorway speeds+
  • Tank range(though slightly better on the SMT)

Best get a demo like mostly did and make your own mind up :smile

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Thanks for your replies

Yes the general rule applies , test ride the bugger that I will .Just read Bike magazine test on the Hyperstrada ,Triumph and KTM smt and there again the Ktm comes out the dogs danglies .

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

KTM SMT 990.

I recall that Ruper Paul of Performance Bikes magazine liked it alot but had the same fuelling issues. It was sorted with a remap and some other stuff. An example of manufacturers having to comply with emissions regs which can ultimately make a bike unpleasant and even dangerous to ride.

http://bsd.uk.com/rupert-pauls-longterm-test-ktm-smt-990-full-ecu-remap/

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Not sure about that James

Mine had the SAS removed and an Akra re-map, it was still snatchy as hell :shock:

Reply to this Topic
Stunty69

Feb 04

Stunty69 says:

I had

an SMT, was ace, ok, a little snatchy when riding really slowly through twisty traffic lanes/cities. But so much better imho than a modern generation superbike for 'normal' riders to have fun at way over the legal limit, handles superbly, built quality fantastic, as many KTM 'goodies' as you could even possibly think of, if thats your thing, and a punchy V-twin to boot..... I only sold it to purchase the 1190 adventure.... Go tets ride one at Premier Bikes in Didcot.....

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

stunty69

Cheers sir , Awww bloody hell the pull is getting bigger and bigger ! I can see one in my garage in next 12 months .

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I'm

looking at a 690SMC but it's very expensive for what it is. I've heard reports of KTM electrics being dodgy - wiring looms needing replacing due to corrosion, etc. Now that's probably only an issue if you ride in winter, but I do and I expect my bikes to just work. No fuss.

Buuutttt... it has near top of the line everything including proper tyre sizes (so many supermotos have weird ones which limit choice), great suspension, light wheels and just general all round amazingness and KTM have such a good collection of aftermarket parts you can even put panniers on the damn thing. Which given it's a supermoto is daft but brilliant.

What really concerns me is that there was a misting problem with the clocks (significant, not just a little bit) from 2008 and it still seems to be an issue.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

The recomendations are thick n fast

Spoke to a bike instructor today he raves about em he recomends I buy a post 11 plate cos the snatchyness has been sorted but I think he means the adventure model .

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices