Skip to content

General this is a worrying trend for us bikers? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > this is a worrying trend for us bikers?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

this is a worrying trend for us bikers?

car visibility

i keep reading about stuff like this. last year my dad had a middle aged women pull right out into his path... he wasnt on a bike; he was driving an astra! she pulled out right at the last minute. only last month a car pulled out on my stationary bike and damaged my ankle. i think the visibility from cars and vans is atleast partly to blame. maybe its time some pressure was put on the car industry to think a lot more about visibility from their vehicles when they design them in the future?  maybe the motorcycle community would be a good place for tjat to come from. i dont want to be knocked off and killed by a driver who cant see out of his or her car because it has huge pillors and tiny windows. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 June 2013 00:56)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

or

"Look and thee shall see"....Seriously though I agree with the above, plus all the other add-ons such as sat navs notepads and air fresheners not to mention mobile phones, kindles ect.

A friends lad was in a car that pulled across a 4 wheel drive, his mate said I couldn't see it because of the A piller.....wasn't his fault!.....:mellow:

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

I occasionally drive a Volvo C30 and if I want to look left I have to look underneath the rear-view mirror assembly. It's absolutely massive, entirely unnecessarily! It also takes huge effort to look around the pillars if I'm looking to the right, again they're just huge.

More should definitely be done to reduce the amount of noise polluting clear views in cars, it's just getting silly at the moment!

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

You oughta

Try riding around Bradford on a evening, its like wacky races with uninsured younhg Asians.

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

add tech

well, its trie you could say its the drivers responsibility to look harder, but we all kmow tyhat a large proportion will not. if they want to proceed down thos route they should have to add some tech... like emergency city braking and cameras..  someone even left a comment on the qebsite aaying car drivers should just indicate their intentions and then everyone should get out of the wy because they have a right to be safe. i wonder how safe she is on the road

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

I remember

Volvo considering these but they don't seem to have caught on.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

more tech is a waste when the very fundamentals are ignored

have to say that it is teh driver of the cars fault they can claim the piller is in the way or what ever they like but in the end they bought the car without bother to give a toss.

All the technology in the world wont help if they dont bother to look maye there should be  aprogram to start taking keys of fdrivers who are incapable or just dont bother to look  

They have lots of safety devices out blindspot sensors, adaptive cruise controls emergency brakes thing sto tell you your going out of lane things to tell you your tired cameras for reverseing, parking assist, distance sensors telling you your to close the list is endless 

so I am sorry but no amount of all these saftey tech will help because of the people who beleive they are in there own little world and the car test being an absolute joke you cant teach the person behind teh wheel correctly and it stays in there head then all the tech in the world wont help them so sorry but dont see the point of any new tech if the fundamentals are igonred 

its like the american forces very high tech and yet still the highest percentage of freindly fire and accidents due to piolet error and so on (sorry any americans on here but it is true no dig intended)   

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

improving safety

all true in principal, but the ebds just justify the means to me. its fine in theory to talk about taking keys off drivers who are incompitant, but its not going to happen, as the economy relies on people driving. its a lot easier and more likely to happen for tech to be put into vehicles by law to aid incompitant drivers to be safe. emergency city braking is an example... apparently the device can even prevent a car hitting a predestrian by slamming the breaks hard on at the last split second if the driver is too dopey to see the thing they are about to plough into. i understand the principal, but the ends always justify the means when it comes to making the road safer. anyway, sometimes drivers who say pillers are too big have a fair point. eventually if you keep making it harder abd harder to see out of a vehicle, the driver at some point cant see. a driver has a lot of things to do on the road, so car manufacturers should be making their job easier not harder. every opportunity must be nade from all ends to make avoiding a crash or collission less likely. that means better driving, better tech and better designed cars with better visibility. 

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

edit

correction: to make a collision less likely i mean. 

mcn is perhaps one of the best forums... yet unlike any other forum i have ever come across: 

i still cant edit my own posts or use spell checkibg from my phone on a mcn forum for some strange reason... not sure why. i still cant place my curser at any desired point in the body of txt im writing. 

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Geoffart

The S60 Vulva that I drive..(very rarely)....has that system...it works in unexpected ways that can catch you out.... If you drive up to a wall to park... in a spirited fashion, it will slam on the brakes and stop you dead. Which can launch anything loose ...into the dash including..... eager to get their seatbelts off....kids...:shock: Other wise ...It's a good thing.

You still can't better good old fashioned ...Observation though.:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

I've had an Astra on demo

over the weekend.

Yesterday I was just approaching a small roundabout and thought my entry on was clear so started to go, when a Smart car appeared right in front of me. It had obviously been completely obscured by the A pillar and the quarter-light pillar. They are mahoosive on the Astra. Just glad it wasn't a bike, as I think it would have put the shits up the rider.

Coaches are the worst for this. I saw one the other day and his side mirror assemblies must have been at least a foot wide and 5 feet tall.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices