Ask an Expert Old lid Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Old lid

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Jimmytheblade

Jun 13

Old lid

Hey up I've just passed my das got myself a bike was just wondering how long does a lid last I've had a agv lid for 7 years and never used it till last weekend is it still safe or do I need to get a new one it may be a daft question but I really don't know cheers 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 305 days ago (17 June 2013 20:22)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

7 years

generally going to be too old. If it's plastic then way past it. If it's an expensive carbon fibre one it might have a bit left in it.... might.

The reason is that the shells become more brittle with time and thus the protection is markedly reduced.

Reply to this Topic
Jimmytheblade

Jun 13

Old lid

Ok cheers mate looks like a new one for me then 

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I would

buy a new one - what price your life n'all that.

Reply to this Topic
stbrewer

Aug 13

stbrewer says:

is 7 years really too long?

I know plastic depreciates within 3 - 5 years with UV damage, but if it's been tucked away unused surely it shouldn't have any UV damage.

I could be wrong but just on the safe side I'd buy a new one, they're only like £45

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I replace mine every 3 years

only because I'm not always that careful where I put it, so for a small investment I prefer to be overly cautious

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Drill some holes in it

and use it as a hanging basket :smile

Reply to this Topic
stbrewer

Aug 13

stbrewer says:

hanging basket

:lol: actually made me chuckle, what a novel thing to do lol

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

old lid

.... or put it at the bottom of the garden, so hedgehogs or similar can use it as a home. :smile

Reply to this Topic
IsraelsRSV

Feb 11

IsraelsRSV says:

NO £45 Helmets

stbrewer, flippin heck is your head only worth £45 quid? Buy the best you can afford and a well known make with a gold sticker. Not all makes fit all head,s but try a load on and see what make suits your head shape best. I like agv and you can get a decent one for about £130. I bought mine after writing on an arai. This winter I'm going to try buy myself another arai, but they really are dear. Best you can afford is what I think. And look after it because when it comes down to it, it could save your life. If it wasn't for my last helmet my brains would have been splattered across 3 lanes of a busy road in argyll & bute.

Your heads worth more than £45.
Oh and like the hanging basket idea :lol:

Reply to this Topic
stbrewer

Aug 13

stbrewer says:

Polystyrene

When it comes down to it that's the only thing between your head and the tarmac, £130 polystyrene is pretty much the same as £45 polystyrene. mine has the gold sticker and the E numbers so I'm pretty confident I have a reasonable amount of protection, its a no frills helmet and no one in MotoGP wears it, hence being dirt cheap.

But yeah if I had the cash I'd want more protection but with a max speed of 50mph and a students wallet I'm pretty content on my lid.

Love the hedgehog idea though, no home for wildlife there will be no wildlife and all that :P

Brewer

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle