Skip to content

BMW Staff Blog: Bavaria and back on the Beemer F800GT

You are in... Forums > BMW > F800GT > Staff Blog: Bavaria and back on the Beemer

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Hunt  says:

Staff Blog: Bavaria and back on the Beemer

The BMW F800GT is a tourer. So far I’ve covered just short of three thousand miles worth of short trips to and from various parts of the country - living out of the panniers for the occasional odd night over here and there - but I’m yet to have dipped my toe into the Grand Tour side of the bike...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 June 2013 13:03)

Post a message in F800GT

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BFG50

Feb 11

BFG50 says:

B500

Baden-Baden to Freudenstadt. Don't miss that - it's a corker around there. There's also a lot of more 'minor' roads around that area that are MUCH nicer than riding on the major roads - get on google maps and find anything that looks a bit wiggly really that's how we do it when we go over there. You're also only half a day from the amazing 'Swiss Figure-8' (Sustenpass, Furka Pass, Grimsel Pass, St Gothard Pass) but you probably won't have time...!

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

route

Hi Steve you could do worse than turn left at Cambrai about 2 or 3 hours south from Calais( excuse spelling of place names) go through Ardenns forest  ( some very bendy roads through forest) ,blast down  to Barden Barden, B500< stay over at lake Schulsee , beautiful and really good roads ( one of my favorite places on the planet,  well, when the sun shines) , call in along lake Constance ( mortals can look but dont buy anything but petrol,) and into Austria down one of the passes 3 days easy, 2 days tough, but possible

Reply to this Topic
js70062

Jan 13

js70062 says:

Your route from calais > cambrai is the same one I take twice every week (I commute to Mons, Belgium on a weekly basis). If you do decide to ride round the ardennes (it's very nice, I've taken my bike round there) then still stick to this route. Don't be tempted to go north and get snarled up round Lille or Lens.

The road is a toll road ("péage") so make sure you've got a visa card or a handful of euros ready in a handy pocket. Normally one of the cash booths (look for the coin sign above) has a human in it so you don't have to get off and wrestle with a ticket machine.

The road's normally deserted, and there's no cameras so you'll have a good opportunity to find out what the top speed of your bike is :)

Watch out for the speed camera on the way back to calais, it's a couple of miles before the eurotunnel junction on the A16.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Looking at the map, you would be better going through Nancy and on to Freiburg and through the Black Forest, then north of Lake Constance (not that good) past Friedrickshaven and then on the Deutches Alpenstrasse from Lindau, one of the best roads ever, starting at the end of the lake and follow it through to Fussen. Then its just over the border into Austria. That's the way I went to Tridays last year. Recommended! Pardon the spelling mistakes!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

810 Miles

is an easy day ride.

Reply to this Topic
Zinfandel92

Apr 13

Zinfandel92 says:

Hi Steve,
first of all, I would say that you should start a bit earlier. Those 810 miles could take longer than you expect. So I would stronly recommend to plan more time...
French "autoroutes" offer less traffic and are in a very good shape, so I would recommend to use that variant.
But I disagree with js70062: mostly, there is no person at the "péage", so you need to use a ticket machine. This is actually faster, just keep your credit card in your front pocket, so you do not need coins.
Traffic will start a bit before you reach Strasbourg. In addition, through Baden-Württemberg, you will have to face some traffic as well.
The southern part of Germany has many marvelous routes with lots of curves, but I do not think you will have the time... after that ride, you will be happy to arrive at Garmisch.
Maybe it would be a good idea, to go from Strasbourg down to Freiburg, get into a hotel overnight, and use the complete next day to ride to Garmisch on small, nice roads.

Reply to this Topic
Zinfandel92

Apr 13

Zinfandel92 says:

Nancy-Freiburg

one thing: SatNavSteve is right, the route from Nancy to Freiburg is great as well, but most likely will need more time...

Reply to this Topic
ExperienceMatters

Mar 12

A bit more info is more then welcome. How long can it take, and how much do you want to spent on the highway. I really don't like the highways & prefer to tour on local roads. You could pick up some Great motorcycle areas. Luxemburg for example is motorcycle heaven (if you know which roads). A big part of the Belgian Ardennen are very nice too, although road quality is not up to par with Luxemburg, but Luxemburg is THE road quality gem in Europe. Then we have the Vulcan Eifel, The Moesel ... heck I'd even take a bit of the Swarzwald into the trip. I'm currently in progress of making a bikers road planner, and have good knowledge of the local roads here (Belgium & Luxemburg), and quite a bit of the Eifel & the Swarzwald. But most depends on how much km you want to ride each day. I could easily make this trip from the Ardennen to your destination +2500 km's of pure biker fun, twisties & long sweepers, one after another, with the least amount of straights, till your destination. Hit me up at fre monkeysign entity-webdesign.be monkeysign = @

Reply to this Topic
MCN LiamM

Jul 08

MCN LiamM says:

Posted on behalf of Philsil

Went to the event a few years back and had fun. Beware the laid back venue does have thieves. Keep your valuables on you not in the safety of your tent. Also always seem to hit thunderstorms around the Champagne region and at the Zugspitze when in the area. Once stayed in the less frenetic Austrian village of Lermoos and caught the train in.

Reply to this Topic
jumblyjim

Jun 13

jumblyjim says:

go left

After school on Thursday enjoy a light evening bimble through the fen via Ely and through Suffolk to Harwich for a night ferry (£100ish)to Hook of Holland. Eat before boarding around 1030pm. Cabin, Zzzzzzz. Wake up refreshed for big day through Holland and Germany. Ferry arrives around 7.30. Clear Rotterdam. Stop for coffee and apple pie at cafe with access to views of friendly long limbed cycling beauties going to work. Hit the road. Its about 500 miles from Rotterdam. Have a good blast on the autobahn to enjoy a little bit of that special German ambient,and put some big miles behind you without being dragged to an atm; but do take care where limits apply. Get a little tired of motorway; take to the hills, they're never far away and the roads and scenery are superb all over Germany. Gute Reise!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices