Skip to content

Discuss This Jorge Lorenzo heads Aragon test MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Jorge Lorenzo heads Aragon test

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Jorge Lorenzo heads Aragon test

Reigning world champion Jorge Lorenzo topped the MotoGP test timesheets at the Motorland Aragon track in Spain today on a day that Honda’s new 2014 RC213V made its European track debut in dry conditions. The factory Yamaha rider clocked a best time of 1.48.076 to finish 0.358s ahead of Repsol Honda rider Marc Marquez with a pace that was a fraction...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 301 days ago (19 June 2013 17:49)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Yamaha has no chance of a seamless box this year and we know, Honda have a big advantage with this piece of kit alone..most experts reckon about 3 tenths per lap, although others say a lot more. One thing is for sure, HRC's million dollar transmission undoubtedly has benefits, benefits that Yamaha don't have.

It is rumoured the 1000cc V4 engine is 20bhp up on the Yamaha's unit too.

Combine this with a chassis that we're now told is now easier on tyres and it's not hard to imagine the RCV is half-a-second per lap faster than the M1.

A third of the way in and with both Yamaha pilots working in harmony within a much closer working garage and accepting they have to work with what they've got, the benefits of positive collaboration could be starting to pay off. Rossi's undoubted development and clear communication skills will be a boon to Lorenzo, as will Jorge's advice on helping Rossi adapt to new to him 1000cc M1, a completely different kettle of fish to the old 800 he rode.

Over at Honda there is less good will. Pedrosa has been sniping at Marquez using his settings. He is a worried man and not without reason. Marc is the faster rider already and as we have witnessed all to often during the first 6 rounds, Dani has been holding him up more often than not.

It's going to be interesting..Honda clearly have the best mechanical package, Yamaha have the more accomplished riders working as a team.

Lorenzo is the fastest man on the planet and a couple of tenths in front of an improving Valentino. Marquez is almost as fast as Rossi but has a bike advantage of up to 0.5 sec

I expect to see a frustrated and demoralised Pedrosa go backwards from here, as the pressure from a his team mate mounts and HRC start giving Marquez more say in affairs, grooming him to take over the #1 spot at Repsol.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Wosi's pots of haddock

and some say the seamless 'box is worth only 0.1 secs per lap. Million dollars worth? Speculation. Let's not also forget that Burgess says the M1 'box is a special bit of kit in its own right.

Rossi's undoubted development & clear communications skills. This statement may have had some validity prior to 2011, but right now after his constant flip-flopping during his Red Bike tenure, and numerous Yamaha false dawns already this season I think we can safely say there's quite a bit of doubt.

What we do know is Rossi is a big fan of Jorge's data and uses it regularly. Not surprising given their similar styles. Rossi couldn't wait to tear down the wall he erected. But according to old Wosi the world nr.6 is an old school 'point and squirt' merchant?! Is it age, a few grades short of the proper speccy specs, or just viewing without observing which leads the docile old boy to this conclusion? Either which way it's laughable.

20HP deficit? Well that's on the Neil Spadling guess-o-dyno isn't it Wosi? Speculation not borne out in trap speeds. Whilst it wouldn't surprise me in the least that the RCV is more powerful than the M1, with both having around the 280HP mark it's all a little moot. How that power gets transfered to the ground is key. Yamaha seem to be doing a very good job of this. Borne out by the speed of Superbiker Cal, let alone Lorenzo,

Yep Lorenzo on the M1 with 50% of the wins this year to date. Clearly (?!) the RCV is the superior package.

Planet Wosi. Somewhere out there with Saturn.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Old farts and talking out your arse..Paarp!

From Mat Oxley's latest at Motor Sport magazine:

"But if Lorenzo can cope with the tyre, why doesn’t Rossi just copy his team-mate’s set-up? Because the Italian and the Spaniard ride differently. Lorenzo rides more smoothly and uses a longer wheelbase, which gives him better braking performance, because it doesn’t load the over-stressed front tyre so much. However, when Rossi and Tech 3 rider Cal Crutchlow try this set-up, they can’t find enough corner-exit traction.

"“We use different settings compared to Jorge,” says Rossi. “We use different weight distribution, different geometry and a slightly different fork. Anyway, we are working on the settings – we must try to make more steps because we aren’t so far from the others.”"

It seems bespectacled old wosi isn't the only one to notice the difference.

Rossi does run different lines, with a wider entry and later apex style looking for drive..squaring corners off comparative to Lorenzo.

No wonder you gave up trying to race a motorcycle Nostril..you haven't got a scooby doo son, have you?

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

You trying to tell me

That the world nr.6's riding style is more akin to Marquez' or Pedro's (far more dynamic corner sqaurer's) than Lorenzo?

You read too much and know too little Wosi.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

It's not just me is it?

..you don't know half as much as you'd have us believe and ought to read more by the look..perhaps a visit to specsavers is in order.

Riding a wheezing old two-valver around airstrips in Boonie land ain't racing Pal..and it's a long time ago now.

Climb down off that horse Pal. Go and polish the golf clubs or summat..

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

why doesnt rossi go back to

2005 frame...he had found the balance with that one. Apart from different electronics, i would think that the "new" yamaha engine would be the same shape and size as the old one. I know they have standardized bore measurements now(81mm?), but really im sure the old yam 990 was in that ball park any way. This new frame is based on lorenzos style which is similar but different to rossis...lorenzo-faster through the corner, rossi-stronger on the brakes( at least he was anyway). As for rossi...nostro you old curmudgeon, you are right regarding rossis pace this year though i disagree as to why. I dont think its necessarily that the kids are going faster....lap times notwithstanding....technology ensures progress( dani beat casey's catalunya record by what? Almost 7/10's of a second...and that was casey on qualifiers!). Mighty micks lap times look pathetic compated to todays boys, but you can only ride the technology you have to its limit. I think rossis woes are threefold:1-the kids adapt better to changes...look what rossi has raced...500's, 990's, 800's, and 1000's...all in the same class and with vast diferences in technology from the first to the present. 2-The kids are hungrier and more willing to go "balls to the wall"....9 championships and 34 years old take their toll on motivation as doohan himself said..."it gets harder and harder to light the fire each season when you are on top. And 3- and this one is a bitter pill for me...the new guys are proportionately as fast as they have always been; ROSSI HAS GOTTEN SLOWER. It pains me to say that, but you could start to see it as far back as 08...06 was bad luck, 07 yamaha and michelin dropped the ball( no dis to casey...he deserved his title, but i looked at the speeds for every race that year for both and added caseys speeds up and divided by the # of races...he was as much as 13k faster and as low as 3.5,but never ever slower; for a season average of 7.5k faster...plus the tires...christ hopper and suzuki were actually competitive....that says it all...Anyways...08 he was competetitive, but not dominant then he broke casey at laguna and cruised home. 09- he definitely didnt dominate- again he broke jorge this time and cruised home. So he was getting a little slower each year and falling back into the clutches of the "pack". But somthing broke him at ducati...he needed a change to try to rediscovrr the drive, but the ducati shattered his confidence. I think running over Marcos head is what is really causing him to lose those 3 or4 tenths that he needs to be at the top again...I dont think people are giving the proper significance to what that has done to his head...thats some heavy shit to go through...heavier when you are a bit older and have a different perspective...heavier still when you were directly involved in killing your friend. He has seen what the worst case scenario of pushing to tje limit results in...the young guys dont believe it will happen to them...rossi knows it can happen real quick to anyone. So in conclusion the young guys arent faster; rossi has gotten slower for whatever or many , reasons

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Because

The 2005 frame was junked 7 years back probably along with the documentation. Much like team red's 2006 pipe frame.

Nevertheless,its obviously a happy camp at Yamaha right now. 

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

That

makes a lot of sense 1986vfr750.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN