Skip to content

Discuss This Alvaro Bautista explains Catalunya near miss with Valentino Rossi MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Alvaro Bautista explains Catalunya near miss with Valentino Rossi

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Alvaro Bautista explains Catalunya near miss with Valentino Rossi

Alvaro Bautista has defended himself against fierce criticism from Valentino Rossi after the pair came close to being involved in a controversial first lap collision for the second race in succession in Catalunya last Sunday. Gresini Honda rider Bautista crashed on the opening lap of his home race while attempting to pass Rossi’s factory Yamaha YZR-M1 for fifth position. But he lost...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 309 days ago (20 June 2013 09:21)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Wosi...

"It's only your opinion Pal."

I gave you 3 examples of just Rossi being involved in racing incidents while qualifying mid-pack in 2 years... you no doubt have an equivalent number of similar 1st lap incidents with Rossi qualifying on the front row & will prove me wrong. My opinion is backed up with evidence... your opinion is backed up by one incident a year ago... & even if you did find a comparable stat for Rossi (over 2 years) I'd still be able to find way more examples of 1st lap incidents happening to mid-pack qualifyers than front row... Catalunya 2006 was a devestatingly memorable one... & you know 'cos otherwise you'd have quoted the stats.

"My point is with a loose cannon like Alvaro around, there are no guarantees."

Agreed... but he's only been involved in 1 first lap incident with a front row starter... compared to how many with mid-pack qualifiers? There... more evidence to support my opinion against yours.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

QC Hedgey's flimsy evidence.

I'm not trying to prove anything ya fkin goofball..you are. I'm just saying shit can happen whatever.

It is my opinion you are talking out of your arse though.

You're argument seems to be specific to Rossi. Does this theory of yours apply to qualifying in all forms of bike racing or is it just Val who should try harder and pay a bit more attention..to avoid being sideswiped by Alvaro?

I mean..how does your example of Motegi 2011 fit in?

Jorge and Rossi collided. Val went down and out of the race BUT, Jorge qualified 2nd. Rossi started 7th? Surely this shouldn't happen according to Hedgey's Law? 

Shouldn't wosi be using your example as evidence front row starters aren't immune to trouble? Seems to me you've shot yourself in the foot over that one.

You're other two example's involve Bautista hitting Rossi..hardly conclusive proof of your bias proclamations there either. 

Tell you what..why don't you analyse the first lap incidents over all three classes for the last five years, breaking down who was involved and from where they started on the grid, then get back to me for a discussion preferably without mentioning Rossi every other word?

That ought to keep you quiet for a while..with a bit of luck.

:lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

it is another argument

but I personally would see both  Rossi qualifying down the field and being involved in several incidents in 2011 as being somewhat related to the 2011 Ducati, like the 2010 Ducati, being a complete pig.

Out of idle curiosity I looked at a few of those incidents and Bautista was heavily involved in multiple bikes going down at Valencia 2011, the incident I hadn't recalled, but the commentators actually blame Dovi; hard to know without multiple slow motion replays, and my curiosity is only idle.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Wosi...

"Tell you what..why don't you analyse the first lap incidents over all three classes for the last five years, breaking down who was involved and from where they started on the grid, then get back to me for a discussion preferably without mentioning Rossi every other word?"

I was hoping you would in trying to argue your point... 

"I'm just saying shit can happen whatever."

I'm just saying that history teaches us it's more likely to happen if you start mid-field than if you start at the front... the stats as well as common sense support it.

"Seems to me you've shot yourself in the foot over that one"

In the incidents we've so far quoted we have 2 front row racers involved in incidents... mid-pack starters we have Rossi 3 times... Melandri, Capirossi & Gibernau at Catalunya 2006... Bautista 3 times... & Hayden & RdP at Valencia 2011 by Bautista. 11 mid packers to your 2 front rowers... there ya go.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

I think it is

a no-brainer that qualifying higher is better from many points of view, and in particular that Alvaro Bautista is less likely to take you out if the range is long rather than short; it required a truly heroically stupid move to take out Jorge that time.

Also pretty much a no brainer that Rossi has been involved in incidents with other riders much less than most if not all if you look at his whole career, and that it took an epically bad bike and/or the encroachment of age for this to become more frequent.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

I think it is

a no-brainer Hedgehog that qualifying higher is better from many points of view, and in particular that Alvaro Bautista is less likely to take you out if the range is long rather than short; it required a truly heroically stupid move to take out Jorge that time.

Also pretty much a no brainer imo that Rossi has been involved in incidents with other riders, particularly incidents leading to dnfs, much less than most if not all if you look at his whole career though, and that it took an epically bad bike plus/minus the encroachment of age for this to become more frequent.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

EL'D...

"I don't believe you actually had time to search all that info... scary."

I know it sounded like more but it was just 4 races we were talking about... Catalunya 2006, Valencia 2011, Assen 2012 & Mugello 2013... no research necessary unless you don't remember the incidents... I'll leave the extensive boring research to Wosi, but since I don't think he actually believes what he's arguing I doubt he'll bother... you can't prove a point with stats that support the opposite.

Doohanfan... "Also pretty much a no brainer imo that Rossi has been involved in incidents with other riders, particularly incidents leading to dnfs, much less than most if not all if you look at his whole career though, and that it took an epically bad bike plus/minus the encroachment of age for this to become more frequent."

ie since he's been consistently qualifying mid-pack*. My argument all along.

* something Wosi tried to argue that he does it all the time & wins until he realised it's only happened twice in the last 7 years!

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Erm..

Let me think about that for a second, Hedgey...

Yes..you're probably right on this occasion. You get a flyer - off the front row - and lead into the first corner, it stands to reason the chances of being involved in shit decrease. Life and racing isn't always predictable though.

Front row starts don't guarantee podiums either..because a one off banzai lap, especially under the new QP format, isn't necessarily indicative of race pace. Ducati and even Crutchlow could be held up as examples.

I believe Rossi is trying in QP, witness Jerez, and has got his wits about him..more so than one or two others we've mentioned. Valentino has never been considered a 'qualifier', say like Stoner. 

It will be interesting to see if the positive vibe from Aragon, translates into better QP and if it does..improves the race result, which is what really matters.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Wosi...

I know... & I know you're just playing which is why it was important to prove my point... if I can't win when I'm right what sort of person am I?

Cheers for the conversation though... :smile

Race results are what matters... good luck to him wherever he qualifies.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle