You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Squeezed Chain O-rings

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

simonbear

Jun 13

simonbear says:

Squeezed Chain O-rings

Hello had XJ6 Diversion F for about 8 months. After 6k miles the orings on the chain started being squeezed out. After discussing with yamaha they replaced chain and sprocket under warranty. I have now done 12k and the issue has happened again. Below and attached are from scott oiler. Re our conversation, I’ve attached a few photos showing a chain from a Yamaha Diversion sent to us by a customer wit a similar tale. To recap, we think the front sprockets on some bike are not hard enough and wear very rapidly, so that the chain rollers no longer fit down into the valleys between the teeth and are forced to run an increasingly bigger radius around the sprocket. The first signs that all is not well is that the chain starts to tighten. They get so tight that when riding over bumps, the chain is actually trying to bend the swing arm to the left.If you look at the view from behind the rear sprocket, you can see that the chain is sitting over to the left and the sprocket teeth are pushing the rollers to the left, squeezing out the O-rings.Does anyone know why this keeps happening. Thanks

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 June 2013 11:31)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F what year?

Hi Simonbear and welcome to the site:smile

I am presuming the bike is second hand when you bought it?.If so i can only think inferior parts have been fitted in both cases for this wear to occur,or the wrong parts?Check both the chain and sprockets for pitch,you should be running 520 pitch chain and both the front(16 tooth) and rear(46 tooth) sprockets need to be the same pitch.Is this a main dealer fitting these parts? and what make parts are they?are they fitting Yamaha original parts or something else?

Check the rear wheel bearings for movement and the swing arm for movement,also check the wheel alignment if you have a vernier check the alignment with that as well to see if the standard wheel aligners are very far out?Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
simonbear

Jun 13

simonbear says:

Squeezed Chain O-rings

Thanks KCMC, the bike is going in for its 12k service at a different dealers next week so will make sure they check bearings, alignment etc. Just to answer your questions, the bike was purchased new from dealer but was a 2011 model. The parts were new from factory and the replacements were genuine Yamaha parts. All work has been carried out by dealer. Have you ever seen any thing like this before?

[This Reply has been modified by the Moderator]

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

allignment

of the sprockets must be miles out to me .....but whats causing it ? is there swarf little bits in the front sprocket cover as kc says summet aint right

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F 2011

Hi again Simon

I am thinking now you say this is a new bike all be it a 2011 model,the warranty would start from the day of purchase.Looking at the pictures you have posted there must be a manufacturing problem for this sort of wear in this short time,and the wear is very abnormal not consistent with normal wear.I think this should be pointed out to the dealer ship you bought the bike from(is it a main dealer?).If you haven't modified or been doing some strange adjustments yourself for the deal to have a beef,then i think you need to pursue this with the dealer you bought the bike off.You may need to get in touch with Yamaha UK and maybe even have to have a solicitor write a letter to them to sort this problem out,and also be refunded for the impromptu wear to two sets of chains and sprockets.There is a solicitor on the site which you could contact to discuss your on going problem,i am sure he could point you in the right direction(I think you have a case with the pictures and the warranty,and would need this sorting while still under warranty,before ever moving this bike on(ever) and some poor biker inheriting this problem with no manufacturer's warranty) .Good Luck

Site solicitorACIC,Andrew Campbell,http://www.bikelawyer.co.uk

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Profile/?&user-id=2695250

Reply to this Topic
simonbear

Jun 13

simonbear says:

Squeezed Chain O-rings

thanks again for your reply. Yamaha replaced the chain and sprocket last time under warranty. I'm booked in this Monday and will see what they say this time. Hopefully they will work out what's wrong with it this time. Still have over a years warranty left and didn't plan on selling it for a while but they need to sort it. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Have to concur

With kcmc et-al, there must be something way out of alignment  to cause the damage you've photographed there

Reply to this Topic
simonbear

Jun 13

simonbear says:

Squeezed O rings

Reply from Yamaha Thank you for your email, regarding the Chain on your above Yamaha XJ6. Naturally we are sorry to hear of your concerns, the details of which have been noted and placed on file. As your are aware, your XJ6 when purchased new was supplied with the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty, which during its period of cover, offers to replace any item whose failure is the result of a manufacturing defect, or incorrect factory assembly. In this instance, whilst a chain and sprocket are deemed to be serviceable items, having no definitive life span and generally not covered by the warranty, a claim was previously accepted for elimination purposes. However, it would appear that on this occasion the reported defect with the chain is not attributable to a manufacturing defect and as such, we hope in the circumstances you may understand why we were unable to accept a further warranty claim, for the remedial repair work required. In this instance we would advise the fitting of a new chain and sprocket kit (part number 36B-W001A-01-00) and removing the Scottoiler. Once again we would like to take this opportunity point out that a Scottoiler is not an approved product for this machine or any other Yamaha bike. We are sorry that it was necessary for you to contact us regarding this matter and trust that the above information is of assistance. Regards

Reply to this Topic
simonbear

Jun 13

simonbear says:

Yamaha Blame Scott Oiler

Bike has been looked at by Yamaha Garage and everything is aligned correctly. Yamaha have rejected warranty claim and blame scott oiler. I now have to replace chain and sprockets and remove scott oiler and see what happens in the next 5600 miles. Arrgh :mad:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F 2011

Hi again

This letter seems to me to be directing your problem to the aftermarket chain oiling device(Scott oiler)and this to be the reason why the chain and sprockets keep on failing.If this is so?i would find this totally unacceptable myself as these devices are very often offered to a new bike owner as added extra to prevent chain wear,never know it to increase wear,so i think they are using this as an excuse not to investigate the real problem occurring here.It's up to you Now but if you want to pursue it any further you are going to need a Solicitor as i mentioned before,get all your info together,dates times receipts etc,and give it to the guy here on the site,he will let you know if its worth your while to do this or just bite the bullet and suck it up?got to be worth a shot.Good Luck

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

unusual wear

with the way the sprocket and chain have worn. I would expect the wheel alignment to be miles out, if not engine twisted in the frame. These are the sort of things you see when a bike has been hit side on and wants checking in a motoliner jig or by a bike engineer. 

Get legal advice.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices