Skip to content

Discuss This Lotus to make 200bhp motorcycle New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Lotus to make 200bhp motorcycle

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Lotus to make 200bhp motorcycle

Iconic British sportscar brand Lotus is gearing up to build a 200bhp motorcycle which will use Formula One technology and will be built by a car racing team Kodewa and designed by the man who designed the Tron Lightcycle. Details are sketchy right now but there is a single image of a carbon-fibre fuel tank which has been released along with...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 June 2013 17:27)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mickofield

Sep 09

mickofield says:

F1 and 2 wheels don't mix well!

Just ask Kenny Roberts as to how F1 thinking works with 2 wheels. Let's hope their designer is well versed in motorcycles and only "dips" into the F1 technology when it proves superior to current 2 wheel technology. 200 bhp is an easy goal with F1 tech, their engines spend most of their time at peak rpm. Mid range torque? what's that!

Reply to this Topic
Kescheng

May 06

Kescheng says:

@mickofield Well you might be correct, but a little known bike manufacturer has already proven that it can be done. That'll be Honda then. If I'm not mistaken BMW have also had just a little success building motorbikes as well as F1 engines. Lets not forget Yamaha who have done reasonably well in the MotoGP era as well as build a few road bikes. They supply engine design and manufacturer to a number of car companies - Lexus LFA supercar for instance or going down market, Ford's V6 engines. In fact the amount of successful crossover companies is huge, as is the technology. Ohlins did not design their high spec electronic suspension for bikes - it was done for car companies and then fed back. Same for BMW and their semi-active systems on their bike - it came from their car division. It's just about engineering. There's nothing mystical about motorbikes in that sense and good engineering goes back and forth.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Lotus

Years ago, Lotus developed an engine that had a 2 stroke top end, and a 4 stroke style bottom end. Basically, it was a 2 stroke that didn't burn oil and was cleaner than a 4 stroke engine, but produced the power of a 2 stroke.

I how I hope the new bike will be a big bore 2 stroke

Reply to this Topic
moto4

Oct 12

moto4 says:

engine

Lotus Omnivore two stroke, ultra clean modern design won awards for the concept. Will it be this engine?

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

200Bhp<130Bhp...

...if the bike can't handle.They're on a hiding to nowhere if they try to build a stiff framed, peaky powered racing-car-on-two-wheels, like every other try-hard,like Elf for instance, have done in the past. Learn the lessons from Ducati, the engine-as-a-stressed-member/monocoque concept doesn't work on bikes. Not ones that can actually go around corners, that is.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

mrdata beat me to it, I thought it was an upsidedown crash helmet too. Now tell us which is the front end!

Reply to this Topic
gixercarl

Sep 06

gixercarl says:

lotus

if its anything like their cars will be less reliable than a ducati

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

200bhp Triumph

Wouldnt it be nice if they could do a partnership with Triumph, Im sure  they could easily build a 200bhp engine in a small light package, and Triumph could really do with the knowledge of engine building, it seems they are lagging behind in the power stakes, even though they build good everyday usable road engines, a lot of buyers want headline power figures, And while Lotus  were at it, maybe put some of the bikes on a diet!with some F1 technology.

Reply to this Topic
AndyDownes

Aug 02

AndyDownes says:

ed30

Good point, well made. In my slight rush to get the story published on Friday afternoon I forgot to delete some notes at the bottom of my story. Thanks for pointing my human error and hopefully it has now been amended and corrected as the server is refreshed.

Kind regards

Andy Downes

MCN Senior Reporter

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

Good luck to them, but...

When Triumph came back to the market, they got the bikes ready before shouting about it.

When Norton came back they shouted lots and so far, haven't achieved very much.

Lotus, lots of talk and a fuel tank....

I'll not be holding my breath

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices