You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > brake pads

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

krazybiker

Jul 11

krazybiker says:

brake pads

hi,i need to buy some new brake pads front and rear for my triumph sprint st 1050 and to be honest i,m not sure which type i should get.What is the difference between sintered,organic, and HH ? i havnt a clue,but i am running on standard disc,s if thats any help.hoping someone may know.regards :hmmm:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 June 2013 19:10)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eitematt

Apr 13

eitematt says:

Pads

Sintering is the process of fusing together compounds to make the brake pad material more durable and effective - as far as i'm aware all HH pads are sintered and very rarely if any organic ones are but I may be wrong on that, although not too relevant.

The difference then comes between HH and organic.

Organic are essentially 'standard/basic' pads, good for the job - unless that is you do racing/lots of rapid and or heavy braking etc, in which case HH are better, they can be more responsive though which makes some people feel theyre quite 'grabby' and sharp in comparison to their previous pads if they're upgrading.

Also if you are going to install HH pads on the rear you must install them on the front, but you can install them on the front and have organic pads on the rear should you wish. This is to do with the force exerted when braking across the bike etc.

I run HH on the front and organic on the rear [previously HH rear also, but was a bit tight on cash] on my ZX6.

Hopefully of some help:tongue:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

So

would you say that organic are better for road use for HH ones are better in general? Obviously if the HH ones are designed for track / hard road riding I assume that means their optimum operating temperature is higher and therefore they'll potentially be worse for standard road riding / commuting?

Reply to this Topic
eitematt

Apr 13

eitematt says:

Pads

Hard to say - from my experience I prefer the HH on the front but then I have two 4-pad calipers/2 discs on the front of my ZX6 so i don't know if that would make it feel much different using HH on say a single caliper single front disc. I do a lot of slower town riding particularly in the start of my rides and haven't really noticed any issues with them warming up etc. That being said also I don't ride in the wet all that much so it may be they're a bit over responsive for wet riding perhaps.

On the rear, i have noticed a difference since reverting to organic which to be honest i'm not majorly keen on as i'd got used to the sharpness and extra response of the rear brake previously so now it seems a little sluggish at times, but its still perfectly useable and responsive.

As a guess i'd think if you have a sport bike HH front or all round is probably fine just be aware of the braking difference for a while to avoid locking them up if you panic-brake, for touring bikes etc perhaps organic are better as they weren't intended for such 'intense' riding from factory, but thats speculating really probably best to ask someone using HH's on other bike types

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices