Skip to content

TRIUMPH Staff Blog: In search of confidence STREET TRIPLE R

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > STREET TRIPLE R > Staff Blog: In search of confidence

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Tony Hoare  says:

Staff Blog: In search of confidence

I’ve started to try and get to the bottom of the confidence issue I reported in the paper last week, which has left me with chicken strips on the Street Triple R’s Pirelli tyres. First step was to order some Dunlop Sportsmart tyres. I’m not blaming my drained  confidence on the standard Pirelli Diablo Corsas - but I’ve never ridden on...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 304 days ago (24 June 2013 18:02)

Post a message in STREET TRIPLE R

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

good luck finding your mojo. Having tyres you trust is very important, I can tell you for certain that in the dry and once slightly warm the street does not have the out and out power to break free of the grip of the pirelli's alas I have tried to make them slip at full lean chucking on a mass of throttle but nothing happens they just dig deep and carry on! I hope more then anything else that you feel comfortable as the rest will just happen naturally. ware your lucky pants and all will be fine!

Reply to this Topic
HerbertChapman

Sep 10

You need to re-think the whole kaboosh.

Why are you mithering over how far you're leaning anyway? Just ride in your comfort zone and enjoy being alive and free to go where you will. Leave the leaning and edge riding where it belongs - on the track. Public roads are simply no longer fit for aggressive riding. Too many potholes, too many diesel spills and too much dog shit. Your subconcious is merely telling you what you already know. That if you keep pushing your limits, eventually you will reach them and you'll be on your arse again.

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

Herbert Jackman

Totally aggree with you, If you ride around most corners on the limit sooner or later theirs going to be a car following a push bike or a tractor around a blind bend which you wont be able to stop for.The other things are vehicles pulling out of side roads on bends not judging the corner or missing your braking points ect . So Motorcycle news rather than encourage riders to ride fast on the road  it would be better to encourage them to ride safely

Reply to this Topic
TonyHoare

Jun 13

TonyHoare says:

Why I'm mithering

I long ago got over the insecurities of chicken strips. That's not why I'm concerned.

I'm not fussed about going around corners faster than I am now. I'm quite happy with the speed I'm doing that.

Lean is pretty important got getting a bike around a corner. That is why I'm concerned.

I mentioned this in my piece in the paper, but haven't put it into this blog piece, and that's the safety side of being able to lean a bike a little further when in a sticky situation. Locked shoulders and a fear of leaning a bike over aren't good for being safe. Being able to counter steer and change your line, or use steering to avoid that tractor, is good for being safe.

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

Any

tyres expensive or cheap if they hit some diesel and your leaning over will lead to too yourself and the bike sprawled all over the floor.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Wow

I knew biking and bikers had changed, but I had no idea it was so bad. Health and safety culture is roaming the land unchecked. Soon we'll be celebrating mediocrity in all its forms, with anybody found thinking for themselves being seriously frowned upon by an old lady in a high viz jacket.

Tony I think its perfectly reasonable for you to want to explore the performance of your machine and to find better ways of setting it up. Thats how you know you're A, a biker and B, a living breathing human being with an inquiring mind and strength of character. I spend hours and hours experimenting with different tyres, tyres pressures, brake pads, steering geometries, suspension settings etc etc. and what do I have to show for it? A bike that performs brilliantly and handles superbly, inspiring massive confidence in its rider to know exactly what can or cannot be done with that machine at any given moment, filling him with a sense of personal reward and satisfaction that some here couldn't even begin to imagine.

I tend to steer away from sports tyres on the road. Sports tyres are very stiff in construction which is great on a track or smooth road, if you can find one. I find that sport touring tyres offer more than enough grip, and because the carcass is more flexible they are more able to cope with the vagaries of our road surfaces, giving lots of feedback and confidence to the rider. Confidence is the key.

I personally favour Dunlops Mk I RoadSmarts.

Reply to this Topic
js70062

Jan 13

js70062 says:

hearsay

"I’ve also heard reports from some Triple R buyers that the Diablo Corsas fitted to the bike aren’t to the same spec as the aftermarket equivalents from Pirelli."

So much for Bernstein and Woodward. Why not pick the phone up and *find out*. You're a journalist. Apparently a fucking lazy one.

Reply to this Topic
cardiology

May 05

cardiology says:

God, you get some mongs commenting on this website. Unbelievable.

Reply to this Topic
TonyHoare

Jun 13

TonyHoare says:

Lazy

I would call Pirelli, but I'm too busy ringing the White House and asking them if they've been surrepticiously recording any of their political rivals.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Lean is pretty important got getting a bike around a corner. That is why I'm concerned.

I just learned a way from Jason Pridmore (Star Motorcycle School) to getting around a corner when you think you are in too fast/deep - look to the inside of where you need go and your line will tighten as long as you still have some grip and/or ground clearance left.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle