Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Arctica18

Jun 13

Arctica18 says:

commuting

A bit of advice if you please

I currently own a Vauxhall Corsa VXR and I travel between 30 and 40 miles a day to work, I average £160.00 a month on fuel (ouch!) I am looking at getting a 2011 Honda CB600F Hornet to effectively replace the car for the commute! 
Can someone give me a rough idea how much I'll be saving in fuel for the month? Thanks guys.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 June 2013 15:37)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

£60

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

If

40 miles = round trip work and back

and you assume a 4 week month, then

160/4 = £40wk

200 miles a week

£1.35 for unleaded approx

6.75 miles per ltr ( 40/200 = £0.2 per mile, so £1.35/.2 -= 6.75 miles/ltr)

bike should be about 12 miles/ltr or £22.5 week

So £22.5 X 4 = £90 month so approx £70, so in the same ball park as Kam says really.

Kam a man of your age was I am sure told to show your workings out at school, as you can pick up oints even if the end result is wrong if they can see your workings out :biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

Obewan

But I didn't do any 'workings out' - I just knew. :winkie: 

..but then I am wearing my Voodoo God Corporation math-shoes.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Ah

Voodoo God Corporation Math Shoes - wise choice.

I am looking for some of those "Oh god no, not another conversation about reducing costs on EMEA infrastructure, when I have already recontracted it all and banked the money already" shoes.

Still had a good morning was invited out by a supplier to watch the Lions match at Brew Wharf (Vinoppolis London), and had to have fried breakfast and three pints of stout (Not Guiness), It made the finance meeting tolerable at least.

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

more choice

there are a good few better bikes for consumption , do some research , the new CB500 range etc will get you far better and still be fast enough to lose your license

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

My car

does  lot more to the gallon than my bike, and it only costs £30 a year to tax.

I commute to work on the bike all year round, unless it's icy. At least I arrive at work grinning every day, despite disliking my job.

At this time of year it's just brilliant fun. I don't care how much more it costs. Worth every penny for the joy it brings :smile

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

^^^

I agree with Bee...."I don't care how much more it costs. Worth every penny for the joy it brings"

Plus it'll save time, filtering anorl :wink:

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

What you need is an

Imaginary bike, I go for miles and it costs me nowt :wink:

Reply to this Topic
MadKwakaMax

Mar 06

MadKwakaMax says:

and don't even

talk about how much easier/cheaper to park!

Mx

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

car to bike

i used to commute about 30 miles to work a day and the same bacl again. i was riding a gsx650f. i tanked up roughly twice at a rate of 18 pounds per tank. i suddenly realized one day that because there was a good back road route to my work i could travel on my 125 ybr and it would cost me a mere 8 pounds a week! ... abd it did. then one day on my way to work a white van man pulled out and crushed my right ankle  on my stationary bike by blindly sriving into the side of me as if i wasnt even there. im still recovering.  riding in rush hour is dangerous, because there are too many people on the road who cant drive and should be forced to use public transport, but arent. they cant handle the pressure of rush hour traffic. im looking at moving to car for rush hour, even though id rather ride any day, rain or shine. they should make emergency city braking compulsary in all cars. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices