Skip to content

Ask an Expert VFR800 won't start, Fi light on Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > VFR800 won't start, Fi light on

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

RussL

Jun 13

RussL says:

VFR800 won't start, Fi light on

Any help appreciated, Fi light is on and bike turns over but will not start. All relays & fuses are OK. Kill switch replaced and everything else appears to be working, but Fi light will not go out. Ran out of ideas!  non VTech 01 model

Russ

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 June 2013 12:15)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Reading VFR Error codes

Hopefully this will Help

Reply to this Topic
RussL

Jun 13

RussL says:

Reading VFR Error codes

Thanks, but this is part of the problem, there are no error codes other than the Fi light will not go out. No matter what I do, the Fi light just stays on continous even after bridging the connector to read any codes.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda VFR 800 2001

Hi RussL and welcome to the site:smile

Sorry to say but everybody will need more info to make a judgment,like when did the problem start?have you done or had any work done on the bike of late?why have you replaced the kill switch?have you checked the side stand switch(most probably that?as the FI light will stay on with the side stand down so if the switch is faulty theres the problem?)and are you getting a neutral light ?what fuses have you checked?have you checked it for a spark?(just pull one of the rear plug caps and plug an old plug in and earth it to the cylinder head)so check these out first and tell us where you're at.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Have you checked the engine

stop relay block?, maybe give that a clean. 

I had a couple of electrical probs with my old viffer,
contaminated PCB and dodgy R/R, both sorted ok maybe kcmc can shed some more light on this? when he gets up.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

FCUK!

that was quick kc :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Am just off to

me bed unit :smilework in the morning,night night:sleep:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Night, night

Mate :smile

Reply to this Topic
RussL

Jun 13

RussL says:

Honda VFR 800 2001

All fuses checked, all OK. Replaced kill switch because first couple of times it refused to start I rocked the kill switch back & forward and it then started. Then it just refused to start at all, Fi light on & fuel pump not priming. I replaced the kill switch & side stand switch but it is still the same. Neutral light works & checked tilt sensor, relays etc, all OK. If I connect 12V to the fuel pump it will prime, so fuel pump not an issue either.

I'm led to believe that when the Fi light is on continously, the bike will never start, no fuel, spark etc. For some reason the ECU is not giving the signal to start, but there are no fault codes either.  No HISS on this bike either, running out of ideas now?

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Check the Fuel Pump

Independently i.e. connect it (in a safe manner!) directly to the battery, no pump = no run!
Was going to suggest the H.I.S.S. until you kind of ruled it out!
Best of luck getting it sorted:smile

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Did you

ever check it for a spark?:huh:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale