Skip to content

Discuss This Lexmoto ZSX125 first ride First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Lexmoto ZSX125 first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Lexmoto ZSX125 first ride

Lexmoto’s new ZSX125 is a good indicator of how far – and fast – the much-maligned Chinese motorcycle industry has come in recent years, being not just as keenly priced as ever but also now being stylish and with an up-to-date spec. So, is it finally time to take ‘Made in China’ motorcycles seriously?... This bike is much more than...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 June 2013 10:01)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

Long term review

I'd be more interested to read a long term review after 18-24 months of commuting.  The problem with a lot of Chinese bikes you see that are more than a year old is that the rust and flaking finish is the only thing holding them together after a salty british winter.

What are the rear shocks about? The shock springs look like they don't even belong to the bike. 

Reply to this Topic
drsqueelgood

Apr 05

drsqueelgood says:

I agree.

with my fellow Dr here :-) I commute into London daily and you rarely see a chinese offering more than 18 months old. It suspect it's because they don't quite have the stamina yet. A long term test would certainly flush out thisetail. In the meantime, I'll stick to my CBF125 at a grand more expensive. But I agree, they are defo moving in the right direction.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

I think this is a very biased

article written by someone who is comparing this Chinese 125 to much bigger capacity and more expensive bikes.  Side by side with it's nearest 'mainstream' rival the Yamaha YBR125, the shocks and springs hardly look "flimsy".  So it's got a carb... I can't remember looking specifically at the carb on the ZSX I saw, but from looking at other bikes in Lexeter's range (Lexmoto and Pulse), they seem to use decent quality Japanese Mikuni carbs, so not an issue.  I thought the tacho/clocks looked more modern than the YBR's, the plastics were perfectly acceptable for a 125 commuter, and the whole bike looked more modern and was more comfortable than the YBR.  Of course, you can see that the quality is slightly below the YBR.  It shows in the tidiness of the welding etc, but this is a 125cc commuter!!!  Costing a huge amount less than the YBR (relatively speaking), this is the future of 125cc commuters.  Spares are also similarly cheap - just look at Chinese Motorcycle Spares Online.  I see guys commuting to work on 5-6 year old Chinese bikes.  Some look dog-rough and only held together by rust, others look almost new.  Like anything else, it's all down to how they're looked after, and Chinese bikes by nature of their price, don't always attract the most fastidious owners. 

Phil asks the question in his article "is it finally time to take 'Made in China' motorcycles seriously".  Well given that the ZSX's benchmark rival the Yamaha YBR is made in China, I would say so.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

romford4

there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that this Bike will be a total pile of junk....trust me....ignore me if you wish....and part with your hard earned..... but the previous model is a pale copy of anything produced in Japan.... rust and poor quality together with appalling reliability...not to mention... the unbelievably frequent service requirements to maintain the 1 year warranty make the actual Reality of ownership.....a very bad choice. of course this is just my opinion.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

10.5bhp won't get you "high 60s"

So I guess the speedo doesn't work that well either.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Rogerborg

You are correct. My Yamaha TW200 with the Trailwing knobbies will get up to a little bit more than 65 mph, and it is rated at 16-HP at the crank. While the Lexmoto ZSX125 has better aerodynamics and less rolling resistance, anything much over 55 mph seems optimistic.

Reply to this Topic
pjh63

Jul 13

pjh63 says:

Abuse

The comments made seem to b based on emotion not experience having spent time in China and seen the abuse the small bikes take carting whole families around and often converted into three wheel trucks and taxies with little or no maintenance they can and do take lots of abuse, and also check the manufactures plate on the YBR Yamaha and you will see its made in china by a Chinese company on behalf on Yamaha, so one wonders what Yamahas mark up is 

As I side note I saw in the flesh a new  Benelli 600/4 and it looked very nice, and was driven  in many Chinese manufactures cars, and every year they keep getting better and better,so do not be so quick as to dismiss the automotive sector without traveling to china and seeing the volume and depth of product available first hand.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices