Skip to content

Discuss This Four out of five bikes unlocked General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Four out of five bikes unlocked

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Four out of five bikes unlocked

Fewer than one-in-five owners of new bikes use any physical theft deterrent such as a chain, according to a survey in London. As machines got older, higher proportions were found to be secured with a chain or disc lock. Forty-five per cent of all bike owners in the survey used some such measure. The average age of their bikes was...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 294 days ago (28 June 2013 13:58)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Allworld

Jun 13

Allworld says:

So is it a problem with the bike owners or a with wide spread theft? IMO you only lock the honest people out anyway.

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

maybe if we were allowed to hang the thieving gits up by their testicles it might deter them?? or a government that had a backbone to hand out a proper punishment then everyone could safely leave their property knowing it would be still there when they got back?

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Albert88!

Only if we can catch them using speed cameras! LOL. A friend of mine is a prison warden and has talked to bike thieves and they say its only the likes of Datatag or Smartwater that deters them as it incriminates them if caught. A chain or U lock is useless as it doesn't stop gangs lifting your pride and joy into the back of a van, to be un-shackled later!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Lol @ "datatag"

It means that the insurer gets THEIR bike back long after they've paid out to you on an "at fault" claim. I only buy shitters that I can walk away from - my protection is that you park your nicer bike next to mine.

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

Thieving scum.

I lock my "pride and joy" with a heavy lock and chain, if I'm leaving it overnight a cover and two locks go on. No, if someone wants to  lift it into a van those things won't deter them but for the casual thief or the trick with the scooter and scumbag accomplice it will, you can't wheel a locked bike away without removing the chain.  Anyway if I go to all that trouble over my 15 year old wheels how can new bike owners walk away leaving theirs unprotected? Too much money and don't give a shit or else living in dreamland thinking it'll never happen to them.

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

hmm

I just buy a shit bike and always park it next to really nice ones.

Reply to this Topic
Bikerste

Jan 13

Bikerste says:

You have to be mad

If you don't use locks it will go even if you go into the shop disk lock it at least.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Lock it or lose it. Lock it and still lose it.

I love surveys but they are missing the point.

In the old days we used to have a Police force capable of catching thieves and as such they acted as a deterrent to crime. We had friendly bobbies on the street protecting and serving the public.

Moving on half a century and the Police force is not a pro active organisation anymore but a reactive one that fails to react to what they consider to be an inconvenience.

In short, the emphasis is now on the owner to secure their belongings. Even when it, or they, get stolen the emphasis is on the owner to provide evidence that they secured it accoriding to their insurance policy. No thought is given to us being the victim unless we can prove our competence. Meanwhile the guilty are allowed to run off with our belongings knowing that the owner will claim on his, or hers, insurance.

You might as well pass a law that says it's ok to steal because ultimately the responsibility is with the owner to secure it, so they are at fault if it gets stolen and blame must not be apportioned to the opportunist for stealing it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

I don't bother

But then I live hundreds of miles away from the nearest chop-shop, and thousands of miles away from any chop shop that would interested in the bikes I ride.

Reply to this Topic
momomomo

Apr 12

momomomo says:

In reality...

it matters very little what deterrent you use. Most bikes are stolen to order and are lifted into a van. The only safe measure would be to chain it to a post but even then these guys have metal cutters that could trounce your bike in two. You can stop or deter a bunch of kids trying their luck but you will not stop a professional. Tracking devices seem a good option but expensive. Unfortunately for us, as already been said, only more visible police police presence would deter these leeches. Don't even get me started on the insurance companies... They are the real thieves. If I stop at the local shop and the bike gets nicked tehy won't pay because I am within 500yards of my garage??? The same if I left it at the front of the house for a while... Garage, chain and ground anchor at home. At work? A disk lock is just as effective as a chain through your wheel laying on the floor.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle