Skip to content

Discuss This Assen MotoGP: Rossi takes dominant win MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Assen MotoGP: Rossi takes dominant win

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Assen MotoGP: Rossi takes dominant win

Valentino Rossi took his 80th premier class win with a dominant performance at Assen today onboard the factory Yamaha. The victory marks Rossi's first win since the Malaysian grand prix in 2010. Starting from the second row, Rossi moved up to third at the end of the first lap with a hard move on German Stefan Bradl at the final chicane. On lap...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 June 2013 15:08)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

DT

What gives is exactly what I said to Panny, seeing as I was referenced in there. All he delivers is a one sentence whine about what someone else is saying. Yet to come out with a thought provoking argument or comment

I have two thoughts on VmaxSteve's comment.

I can see there is some basis for what he says as I'd also hazard a guess that the main difference between the Tech3 engine and the Factory engine is with the electronics. They can do an awful lot with those to increase/decrease performance and manage fuel. It's not against the realms of possibility that they could have tweaked Cal's electronics to give him more of a chance of taking points away from Repsol to aid Lorenzo - who they probably thought had no chance of actually racing. It makes sense from a team manager's position to whom his rider winning the title is the priority. Not giving Cal the full package when Lorenzo is there is also logical as it is fair to say he has the speed to fight with the others but there is no way they'd want him getting in Lorenzo's way.

Whether it is true or not is another matter but I can see the argument.

Does Rossi have exactly the same spec as Lorenzo? Other than personal choices such as the current factory frames? We'll never know I guess (because Buell won't tell us) As Edwards did indeed say, it's not a given that the two riders have the same equipment. If they don't then the same logic applies as with the Cal argument. Turn the wick up on Rossi's bike to take points off Repsol. In isolation, it makes sense. But only if they are on different specs. I'd guess that they actually aren't.

Rossi rode well and desrved his win. Were the two Hondas below par or struggling? Cal was able to close them down but was it more a case of the Hondas dropping off Rossi and back towards Cal rather than Cal lapping faster? Cal was lapping virtually identical times to Rossi so probably a combination of both.

So has Rossi 'found something' or is it a false dawn? He and Cal were running the same times. That doesn't suggest Rossi has made a huge leap. They've run similar times in other races. However, as he was out front, we don't know if he had more left, so no conclusion from that. The only question mark is what he found in set up. In the first race in Qatar, he didn't appear to have any problem braking and came from 7th to pass every one he did pass on the brakes. Why no issues there or mention of not being comfortable on the brakes?

For this race, was it a case of no Lorenzo, lap times the same as Cal and two below par Hondas creating a false impression? Did both Rossi and Cal benefit from a little electronic wizardry (they still had to have the ability to use it) or has nothing really changed with Rossi's bike and he just rode very well on a track he is comfortable with (ie like Qatar)

I guess things will become more apparent over the next 3 or 4 races. Fact is though, he won this one and deserved it.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Ugly..but hey?

You knew it was bound to happen Nostril. Nothing undeserved and all confined to his thread. 

Most have had the grace to acknowledge it was a great ride, job done for me.

Obviously you have a little more at stake, what with you being head pom-pom rattling flouncer..but don't worry son, I don't expect nor would I seek an unreserved apology. Where's the fun in that? You did a pretty good job of stitching yourself up and everybody knows it.

Yellow 1 - Orange..a big fat zero.

Now we move on to the next chapter..is Rossi back as a force to contend with? or as you allude to because you just can't help yourself, was Assen a one-off?

Confidence plays a big part and it's clear Rossi had his dented..It's taken a little longer than most demanded but I think this win and the manner in which it was achieved should go a long way to mending that self doubt.

If we believe what is written and said, Vals bike is now more to his liking. Sunday seemed to confirm this and it was a typically canny display of managing a race.

The lap after he took the lead he dropped his pace to look after tyres. Rossi didn't feel the need to gap everyone and controlled the pace. This in itself should be a warning to those that are yet to be convinced.

When Marquez came past Dani and an attack loomed, Valentino responded and simply rode away from him on rubber that was up to the job. His last half dozen laps were fast and consistent. It was masterful race craft showing cunning, guile and pace.

I fully expect the old lad to be in contention for the rest of the season..and I wouldn't put it past him to win the next two at tight tracks which may negate a few of the RCV's strengths.

Sachsenring and Laguna especially, don't offer must chance of a rest..surely this will not aid Jorge and Rossi could be doing him another favour by taking 50pts and keeping Pedrosa away from that top step.

To sum up..wosi IS happy and far from rankled. Another one you've got wrong.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Buell

Not only do I have the nuts to 'hang out in the wind ready for a kicking' but the balls to admit when I got it wrong bud.

But at least you're happy for the first time in years :winkie:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

When Marquez came past Dani and an attack loomed, Valentino responded and simply rode away from him on rubber that was up to the job. His last half dozen laps were fast and consistent. It was masterful race craft showing cunning, guile and pace.

Not quite how it was, was it.

Rossi's lap times were fluctuating within a span of 0.4s from when he took the lead up to a couple of laps from the end - in no particular order.

When Marquez passed Pedrosa he was just over 1s back from Rossi and never got closer as he couldn't get his lap time down enough to close up. He was slowing up. Crutchlow was running the same lap times as Rossi and Marquez went back from Rossi towards Crutchlow. There was no string of super fast laps from Rossi when Marquez took second. Embelishment on your part.

Funny how your view of someone leading a race, with no fighting for the lead, changes depending on who is leading. When it's Lorenzo who has hit the front and controlled the race it's boring - it needs Rossi up front fighting and scrapping to make it exciting.

When Rossi is out front on his own, it's the usual racecraft, cunning and guile. No wheel to wheel, corner to corner scrapping, he just rode around on his own from lap 6, but because the bike had 46 not 99 on the front, it was more exciting.

For all your ramblings of other's credibility, you come out with this. You're a joke

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Lapdog..

If you can't fathom that Rossi upped his pace in direct response to Marquez passing Pedrosa..there's no helping you. I'd Stick to green-laning Pal.

Try not to let the bitter disappointment upset you..as monitor in charge of licking the sweat from Nostro's crack and #2 Orange fucko, you too have no credibility when it comes to level debate because of your pitiful hatred. It's clear who the jokers at MCN are..

I'd have given Bob's shrivelled old knacker to see the sad & twisted look on your sorry mug Saturday..as Rossi crossed the line and the crowd erupted.

I hope it spoilt your weekend..from here on in I suggest you take the boyfriend away camping on race sundays, cos it's only get more painful.

Hahaha..Tart.

http://resources.motogp.com/files/results/2013/NED/MotoGP/RAC/analysisbylap.pdf?v1_c27db452

L20: 35.1 

L21: 35.0

L22: 35.2

L23: 35.0

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Assen is a track for nr.2's

Even the world nr6's predecessor clocked a win here and fifth overall 2011. Looks like nr.6 is filling those modest boots perfectly.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Fk me..it's the other half of the dynamic duo. What a surprise?

Feeling brave enough to start dribbling the same old bollocks are we now you've got Bulto's hand to hold?

You pair of fuckwits are a right little tag team.

C'mon..give us a laugh. Tell us the one about how Ducati should bring back the CF Stoner bike or how they were gonna win a race as soon as Rossi left?

hahaha..I dunno, Thick as fuck.

Reply to this Topic
DoubtingThomas

Apr 13

Why no issues there or mention of not being comfortable on the brakes?

Thing is, he did say he wasn't comfortable in Qatar, and the results at the next couple of races were more or less what he really expected. It was reported in GPOne. He's been nothing if not honest this year with his doubts, his ambitions, his failings, and now when he says he can ride the bike better, then gets a win, he's probably telling it as it is. Seems more likely than Yamaha giving him the PowerCommander JL99 map, just for that Sunday.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Anger Management Wosi

Get some or lay off the cider or put a sock in it. Rossi finally wins and you're more uptight than ever. Funny.

Marquez passed Pedrosa on lap 18. Lap 19 Rossi did the same average time as his previous few laps. 35.3, although on lap 14 there was a 35.0. Lap 20 was 35.1, lap 21 was 35.0 and 22 was a 35.3 not 35.2. Lap 23 was another 35.0 and 24 was a 35.4 (all rounded up/down seeing as you're being pedantic)

Which is what I said. They fluctuated. There wasn't a succession of quick laps with significantly dropped pace from lap 19. Cruthlow was running the same times.

Marquez's times after passing Pedrosa on lap 18 didn't get quicker and take him up to Rossi. From lap 19 on they were:

If Rossi had continued each lap on 35.3 Marquez would have dropped almost a second off him during those laps.

Funnily enough, that's roughly what happened.

You can't just accept that Rossi rode a decent race and deserved his win. You have to slip back into Rossi fanboy mode and start to spew the cliches of racecraft, cunning, guile, tyre management.. Far from it ruining my weekend and life in general, I've no problem "dealing" with him winning. But you have to try and put him above everyone else just because he's won again. Look at the facts fuckwit. Lorenzo was out. Marquez had an injured hand and got slower because he couldn't brake. Pedrosa's tyres had gone which was why a slowing Marquez got past him. Pedrosa's times deteriroated with his tyres. Rossi no more managed his tyres than Cal who was lapping at the same speed as Rossi - consistently when not being held up behind a Honda

Now grow and sober up, stow the childish rants and insults, and answer a straightforward question of why a race is boring when someone leads unchallenged from an early lap - except now that it's Rossi.

Or am I expecting too much...

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

no doubt

that Rossi controlled this race as Lorenzo has received praise for doing in a couple of his wins this year, and he was not imo ever under threat from Marquez; Marquez was under far more threat from Cal than Valentino was from him.

There are so many subtexts going on here it is hard to keep track of them. I think it is possible for both Rossi and Cal to have ridden well in this race and to have outridden both HRC riders in Valentino's case and one in Cal's case without getting into any discussion about bike advantages, either within the ranks of the Yamahas or vs the Hondas.

I think Cal if he continues to ride as he did in this race will be worthy of a factory ride but this doesn't mean he can or should get one of the ones worth having in the current circumstances or those likely to apply next year, since I can't see one as being available unless Pedrosa abjectly fails for the rest of the year which is unlikely, and even then HRC might not go for a Yamaha rider.

Despite my admiration for Cal, I will be most surprised if he beats Valentino on any sort of regular basis for the rest of the season.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices