Skip to content

Ask an Expert Honda firestorm vtr wont start Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Honda firestorm vtr wont start

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joshj92

Jun 13

joshj92 says:

Honda firestorm vtr wont start

hi i am new to this site and i need some advice i have a Honda firestorm vtr 1000f  which was working perfect i came to it this morning let the bike tick over to warm up and went out, during the day out when i stopped at junctions and lights the bike would cut out and then it would start up straight away. also while riding now and again a slight pop noise would come from under tank. i parked up at a friends house and came back to the bike about 2 hours later started it up rode a few meters down the road and bike stuttered and cut out and will now not start. the bike has been serviced about 500 miles ago.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 June 2013 22:55)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda VTR 1000 1998

Hi Joshj92 and welcome to the site:smile

This is sounding like a fueling problem?but don't rule out an electrical problem also.Think the first thing i would do is an easy check for a spark,just remove the front spark plug put it back in its suppressor plug cap hold it onto the cylinder head using a pair of insulated pliers,have someone press the starter button,if there's a spark at the plug its probably not that causing the problem.If it has no spark you will need to do some electrical checks to locate the problem(check the plug connector to the pulse generator is not corroded,if not you may need to have this tested as well as other electrical equipment) .But i suspect this will be a fueling problem(is there fuel in the tank?has it gone onto reserve?you would be surprised how many people miss this) with your bike now being 15 years old there could be a large build up of crud and possible water in the fuel tank.Lift the fuel tank and with the tap in the reserve position pull one of the fuel pipes to the carbs to see if there is a free flow of fuel,if not you have a blockage in the fuel tank probably filters(also if no flow at this point open the fuel cap,if fuel then flows you have a vacuum block,fuel tank breather pipe blocked) .If not you need to drain the carb float bowls into a clean container to assess if the crud-water has got in there,if there is blobs of water and or debris in this fuel from the float bowls you will need a carbs clean and also the fuel tank draining and cleaning out as this is where the crud is coming from.Try this and lets see where your at Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:  

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices