Skip to content

Discuss This ‘Grave concerns’ about graphic safety ad General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > ‘Grave concerns’ about graphic safety ad

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

‘Grave concerns’ about graphic safety ad

A leading riders’ group has said it has “grave concerns” about a graphic new safety ad.  The cinema ad by Transport for London shows a motorcyclist lying on his back in the road. While paramedics work to save him, he says to the camera: “I’m going into cardiac arrest now. Silly place to overtake, really. Still, you live and learn –...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 July 2013 09:49)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Disgraceful!

How about showing a car driver standing next to the injured rider saying 'Wish I'd been looking properly instead of texting/ chatting to someone in the back/playing with my hi-fi' etc!  Are they saying that anyone riding at or below the speed limit never has an accident? A very biased ad which does nothing to promote two wheeled transport in overcrowded cities.

Reply to this Topic
bboydoy

Jul 09

bboydoy says:

Err...

This goes hand in hand with "women can be husbands and men can be wives rubbish"...

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Makes perfect sense

Do motorcyclists ride agressively/stupidly/incompetently/dangerously...?

The answer to that one is of course they do.

Not all of them and not all the time, but it definitely does happen.

So this ad is aimed at them and is intended to make them think about the consequences.

Collisions may not always be entirely the motorcyclists fault but that doesn't prevent the motorcyclist from taking responsibility and adapting their behaviour to minimise the overall risk.

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

hmm

It's my life, if I want to die pushing my limits on a Motorcycle I will do thanx. I can kill someone else doing anything, I can be walking down the street and accidentally trip someone up and they fall into the road. Shit happens, not gonna feel guilty for living my life.

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

Biased

The usual anti-motorcycling biased propaganda masquerading as safety advice and no surprise. Unfortunately our society is conditioned by years of swallowing the erroneous "bad boy biker" image and the usual slavish sheep-like devotion to a car-based society.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

I'm all for

an even handed campaign that targets bikers as well as motorists, but most bikers I know are all too aware of "the issue", as well as the consequences if they get it wrong.  It's the dozy/blind/myopic/texting/phoning/eating car drivers who need to be made aware.  Then again, why bother, as even if you do knock a biker down, you're unlikely to be injured yourself. 

Make it law for every new vehicle to be fitted with an inbuilt dash-camera, and watch the accident statistics drop off a cliff when dozy clueless tossers have to start actually taking some personal responsibility for what they do in life!

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Directed At Who?

This advert is clearly directed at the motorcyclist who is portrayed as being in the wrong. If TFL really want to make a difference they should spend their budget on an advert directed at the group of people causing the most collisions, the car drivers. The only other conclusion I can come to is that they know this and have given up trying to educate the ineducable.

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

JustBe

Ah well, if you like to 'push your limits' on the bike you are less likely to have a vehicular collision. Sad truth of it is the safety brigade (you know - 33 in a 30) are the ones who have these crashes. Its a secret tho, Authorities can't promote lawless riding so the safety of being a bad boy rider remains an urban myth.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

This will just add to the disdain motorists have for motorcyclists. I see it more and more, people doing stupid stuff endangering motorcyclists (myself included) then act as though its the motorcyclists purely for their choice of transportation

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

if 50% of M/C casualties...

are caused by other road users then 40%+ are caused by riders??...

In that context the video seems "OK" addressing consequences of "inappropriate" actions??

T

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices