Skip to content

Discuss This Banned from parking in business park General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Banned from parking in business park

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Banned from parking in business park

I work on a business park which is running short of parking spaces and has no bike spaces at all so I use a car parking space. I am being told that they are going to ban motorbikes from parking in the business parks with a £100 fine. Is this legal? As a relatively new biker do we really have to deal...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 July 2013 09:57)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Parking ban

Firstly, paying road tax is irrelevant as this will almost certainly be private land where the owner can impose his own rules and regulations. However, the practice is unfair and I would ask your employer to approach their landlord (or estate managers) to discuss accommodating you and any other guys that work on the business park and ride to work.  The good thing is that bikes can be parked up in relatively small spaces so I am sure that they will be able to find a solution.     

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Unfair. You can easily fit 3 motorcycles into a single car spot. At my old job, the underground carpark had two spots converted for motorcycle use. We eventually had staff members getting scooter licences and we could accomodate 8 motorbikes with comfort. Believe it or not, some staff members initially complained that we were 'jumping the queue' and that they had been waiting for years to get a spot. Incidentally one of the complaining ladies drove a Landcruiser. So in her mind it was more logical to move almost 3 tonnes of metal in order to shift her 60kg body around town. What a c@nt!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Anonymous, Try writing a letter

And ask their advice as to where you should park your bike as there appears to be no specific area... oh and make sure you write your name and address....just sayin:unsure::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Turn up in your car

and park it on the twats face. Problem solved! We had a guy who worked on the neighbouring business unit who started parking in our clearly-marked zones. He didn't like being told to park elsewhere. We waited until he'd nicked the space and walked away, then used the MD's Nissan Navara to move it into his MD's designated bay by the simple expedient measure of ramming it with the cow bars. MD saw the car seemingly dumped in his privilege bay: He got fired. Justice. Realistically though, in this case simply use the threat of a discrimaination case. You're being unfairly penalised because you're black, white, asian, muslim, christian, whatever. Do NOT make the issue one about motorcycling as that is not covered by the legislation.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Aye

discrimination due to being associated with property. I think it's disgusting trying to ban a specific type of vehicle from a car park. It'd be fine if they said you could park it out of the way on the pavement, etc as long as it's considerate but banning you from using spaces is just being utter cnutish.

Reply to this Topic
blueeyes

Aug 02

blueeyes says:

Parking "Fines"

Firstly, if its work raise a complaint with them for discrimination. Secondly if this is a private car park i.e. not a Council run one they cannot fine you. Only the Police and the Council can issue fines. If they have a private parking company employed to run the car park their tickets have been described by a judge as nothing more than speculative invoices. You do not have to pay these. Go on to money supermarket or pepipoo for more info.

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Not just business parks but you see discrimination against motorcyclists everywhere . In Derbyshire we paid the same price for parking as a car [over £3] , and the  parking attendants were unhelpful  and surly - even to some polite foreign bikers . We were told to tear the ticket in two and put half on the speedo glass or similar and keep the other half in case of theft of the ticket , a bit iffy if it rained ? . A pub we visited said we could come in but no bike gear could be worn & no helmets in the pub ? . In Lincolnshire we had a similar reaction , we could enter the pub , but couldn't park outside in their car park ,we were told to park on the road ,and again - no helmets . We have just moved back to the Derbyshire / South Yorks area after retiring from North Lancashire and cannot remember things being this bad in my youth ,after starting on bikes .

Reply to this Topic
vstrombandit

Sep 09

vstrombandit says:

Some points

Your employer will have a certain number of spaces that they have included in their agreement with the Landlord. Also, fines on private land are uneforceable, as metioned below. So, just carry on parking in the spaces allocated to your employer, but it may be wroth just letting them know. If someone else in your company is a biker, arrange to park toegther in the same space. IF they issue any form of notice that you have been fined, then just resist and be objective in your arguements with them. They will threathen you with Bailiff's and all sorts- but they can't do ANYTHING unless they go to court. Civil parking "fines" are not enforceable and just keep any correspodence.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

I was leading the design team of a midlands office for a S/E based  firm of Architects. One summers morning I wasn't seeing any clients and it was a quiet day so I went in on my stunning ZZR1100D2. A beautiful looking bike. I parked it legally outside the office frontage but not causing an obstruction.

Later that morning the boss rang me from the Sussex office to say he did not want "that sort of thing" parked outside of his midlands office, it would give the wrong impression. I was sufficiently unfuckingchuffed as I was the main fee earner for his satellite office and dealt directly with his clients, so things went from bad to worse and eventually he came up to give me a formal disciplinary hearing at the midlands office. I had already planned for this and as I entered the conference room to receive my official disciplining I had my written notice in my hand. As we sat down I said, "before you start the hearing, I would like to give you this" and I slapped my notice down so hard on the table in front of him and the other Director the noise reverberated all around the room. The boss then tried to change tack to try argue me around to accept I was wrong but he valued my work. The loser. A cockney barrow boy mindset with an MSc.

I hate prejudice it is the premise of stupid and uneducated people.

I started working freelance 2 weeks after I left and doubled my income immediately, never looked back. I did my homework and I knew the market.

Fuck your prejudice !

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

See...

Good advice comes from this forum: Another piece of advice is one that I took all the way to arbitration in Sarf Lunnun a few years back. Look at the V5. Ooh, happy days, you own a BICYCLE: Therefore park it where all the other life wasters park their pedal-powered putrescences. Oodles of fun explaining to the wannabewiggins that you actually possess a legal document that defines your vehicle, whereas they do not. And therefore cannot in law confirm that their machine is actually a bicycle.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices