Skip to content

Discuss This Video: BMW F800GT vs rivals First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: BMW F800GT vs rivals

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: BMW F800GT vs rivals

BMW's new F800GT is branded as a do-everything entry level tourer. We took it out againstsome of it's class rivals - the Honda Deauville and Yamaha's Fazer 8 - to see what it faired like in the real world. brightcove.createExperiences();

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 July 2013 10:35)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ams944

Apr 09

Ams944 says:

I had a Divvy for 3 years up until April this year when I bought a 15 month old F800ST. The divvy was a solid bike covering 30000 miles whilst I owned it and it never let me down and went touring two up all over the UK and it was a really good - but heavy - bike and the protection from the elements was excellent. MPG averages about 51. Servicing costs were cheap with 5000 miles from a set of BT23s.

The BMW returns 60mpg and in the 2000 miles I have done to date I am impressed and if the GT is better the difference will be greater. Servicing costs will be a little higher but then I have a warranty as well. Tyres (Metzlers) have just been changes at 7000 miles for T30 so it will be interesting to see the wear on these. Dry weight of 182KG coupled with the additional BHPis the biggest difference, Its quicker!.

I know this is about the GT but the ST is very similar and in an ideal world I would have one of each but the BMW will always win for me because although each time I get on a bike I smile on the BM the smile is much wider.

Reply to this Topic
burnthouse

May 12

burnthouse says:

Fazer out of place

I read the article with some interest... as a Fazer 8 owner myself... Can't see how the Fazer sits as competition with the BMW and Honda this is illustrated best by the performance stats and mpg figures... the Fazer an oddity as it too small to be a proper 800 as its a 770cc or if it were a Triumph we would look at it as a 700 (not saying in same league as triumph triple or Daytona... purely illustrative). Whilst the BMW and Honda are great bikes they donot appeal to tthe potential Fazer owner because we do not crave what those two offer. The saggy bottom article also highlights its biggest floor suspension ask any Fazer 8 if the had the cash what would they change...suspension would be right at the top... Now the old Fazer 600 FZS 2003 would have given these two a run for the money.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Good Enough

I can lock the front wheel on clean, dry pavement on my Honda Dullsville when loaded up with 300 pounds of rider and gear - so how much more power does the front brake need?

The F800GT is nice, but is it really worth 50% more than the Dullsville (or more if you look at probable maintenance and repair costs over 10 years/100K miles of riding).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices