Skip to content

HONDA Honda CB500’s valve clearance shock CBR500R

You are in... Forums > HONDA > CBR500R > Honda CB500’s valve clearance shock

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Honda CB500’s valve clearance shock

Every Honda from the new CB500 range will need to have an expensive valve clearance check at just 600 miles to maintain the manufacturer warranty owners have been finding out as the first of the new bikes go in for service. The new CB500 range comprises three models with an all-new parallel-twin motor aimed at the budget-conscious A2 licence holders along...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 July 2013 16:59)

Post a message in CBR500R

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

What shock?

My Honda Dullsville had scheduled valve adjustment checks at 600 miles, so this is nothing new.

Reply to this Topic
vanandy

Feb 12

vanandy says:

Joke bike

Manufactures primary focus should be ease of service, otherwise it's ripping off it's customers with over the top service cost due to crap design.

Vote with your wallet, DON'T BUY IT.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

If the valves can genuinely go owt skew on't treadle within 600 miles

Then that's a manufacturing stuff up, not a servicing issue.  They're essentially billing customers to check that they put the bikes together correctly.

Look at it this way, if you didn't get them checked and the valves burned out in another few thousand miles, in what way was that bike fit for the purpose for which it was sold?

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Less performance = More cost??

This screams to me that Honda are cutting costs by making valve train parts with looser tolerances. It will save them a few quid per bike but shifts multiple hundred pound bills to the owner. Buying bikes with these kind of servicing requirements will just make manufacturers produce shonkier and shonkier products shifting more cost to the owners. Boycotting such products will make manufacturers amend them to have lower running and servicing costs.

Lets face it rocker arm valve trains are old technology and 40 odd BHP from a 500cc engine aint exactly racey. This is a cost reduced bike with mediocre performance at best so why are servicing requirements higher than for sportier bikes in their range

Reply to this Topic
shallwedance

Aug 11

shallwedance says:

conning bastids

triumph pull the same scam if this was a Ford/Vauxhall you'd never buy one

Reply to this Topic
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

avoid this bike

First service labour should be free, included in the price of the bike. Pay for oil and a filter only. What a ripoff.

Reply to this Topic
CAYENNE

Nov 05

CAYENNE says:

Valve check - bikes vs. cars

From the States:
Valve clearance check: bikes vs. cars. Sorry, pretty lengthy!

Why must it be done more often with bikes? I know the under/over bucket shim system so I will narrow down my answer to address this set-up. Generally, in fact always as far as I know, the clearance decreases over time. If there is no clearance the valves will burn-up because no heat transfer can occur if the valves remain opened which will be the case if the clearance between stem and cam is at zero. The intake valve gets some cooling from the fresh charge, but it is not the case for the exhaust valve. It is the one that usually goes

1- Bike engines (with shims) are designed to rev-up 2 to 3 times higher than car engines. The pounding of the seat is two to three times more frequent. So the valve seats recess a lot quicker into the thin[nest] aluminum heads, thus decreasing the clearance.
2- Bike cam profiles are more radical, thus acceleration and deceleration of the valve are much more brutal. The impact (impulse) into the valve seat is correspondingly more damaging to the valve seat. Guess what? faster recess of the valve seat.

There are other reasons. Car mfgs make more cars of a given model than do bike mfgs. And cars are more regulated with regards to emissions. In fact in the States, everything in a car that has something to do with emissions (and yes this includes the valve train) must carry a ten year warranty – federal mandate. Guess what – lots of thinking is placed into designing the valves for longevity.

Car engines are beefier. I would speculate that there is more meat around the valve seat, slowing down the valve seat recess process, perhaps because of the reason stated above. I drive a Nissan Titan, not sold in the UK. It is a shim/bucket set-up without hydraulically self- adjusted valves. There is no provision for valve check for the life of the engine. In fact the clearances a listed for when the engine is warm, not hot, not cold (cold is std) which does not make any sense. It is a disposable truck (quality is mediocre), so Nissan decided that the valves were good for the life of the truck (V8 revving generally below 2000 rpm).
And finally, perhaps some bike mfgs think that bike riders take care of their rides better than most car owners do their cars. Valve checks are a good place to make money for the dealership.

Read this Honda: I will never, never even consider a bike that does not have a 15,000 miles min. valve check frequency. I had to deal with the 600 miles with my 2001 KLR. Bless Yamaha with their 24,000 miles check. I own a Harley now so no more valve check for me, although I still ride my B-king on occasion. The Busa engine has a good reputation with regards to not requiring adjustments for a very long time, though checks are still required every 15k mi. Bummer. I hope this helps.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

Vlve clearance...You need your head seeing to while your there.

Valve clearance service at 600 miles, costing £300, for a brand new machine...Is this a joke !?:shock:

I mean, dealers capping the cost at £250, wow, that's good of them ey, jeez. Let's face it, it's the mug who pulls out £5 grand for a new machine after a few weeks or 600 miles, who, once again is in for a nasty shock, an empty wallet and the dealers laughing all the way to the bank.

RIP OFF WORLD.......And it's going to get progressively worse.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
exceledsteve

Apr 10

exceledsteve says:

I guess

Honda kept this bit of tech news out of their model launch propaganda. This is necessary information at the bike choosing stage, especially in the sector of the market it's aimed at. Not so bad for the second owner of a low mileage cb but I'm now thinking there won't be nearly as many new ones sold on the back of this news. I was considering a 500x in the near future. I'll no longer give it a second glance.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

@cayenne KLR valve clearance

I bought a second hand KLR in the States in 2002 (5 yr old, 5000 miles) I have the valves checked (finally) in Honduras 60k miles later. No adjustment needed! Cost me $60 including the service. £300 for valves at 600 miles... (plus a £250 service?? - note sure from this) .... But that's ridiculous.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices